Re: [MPD-5D] Emergency Legislation Proposed to Ban Fireworks

  • TruxtonResident
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 1, 2008
      Don't count on it.

      Until this and all current laws/bans are enforced regarding fireworks, nothing will change this July 4th.

      The type of firework displays that have already begun to be shot off in DC are already illegal.

      And MPD and other government agencies do very little to enforce the current laws.

       Put this new initiative in the bin with all the others laws that are on teh books but not enforced in DC .... like illegal parking on Sundays.

      TR

      khenderson029@... wrote:
      Good Afternoon All:

      The ANC 5B10 community overwhelmingly supports the ban and we believe the timing could not be better. Each year our community is practically held hostage by individuals that turn our streets and alleys into discharge sites, causing excessive noise, litter and burn marks in the streets. The weeks leading up to July 4th leave many citizens wondering whether guns are being discharged, subsequently draining police resources. A cloud of acrid smoke fills the air on the actual celebration day and makes breathing difficult for young and old alike and the noise lingers for weeks afterwards.

      We support the ban and look forward to a day of celebration that does not include incendiary material flying through our neighborhoods and disrupting our peace, order and quiet. Last year, Council Chair Vince Gray attended our community meeting to discuss the proposed ban of fireworks and we are glad this action is pending and relief is forthcoming. Kudos to Mayor Fenty and Councilmember Graham for fast-tracking this issue to provide much needed relief for our communities. We look forward to unanimous support from the Council on this issue and welcome a quieter, safer July 4th celebration.

      Sincerely,

      Kathy Henderson for Commissioner India A. Henderson, 5B10

    • A R
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 1, 2008
        I am VERY supportive of this ban.  It's long overdue.  About six years ago, I was visiting a friend's house in NW on the evening of July 4th.  The usual illegal fireworks celebrations were taking place.  To make a long story short, one of the fireworks being launched by some adults (not kids) in her alley caused her back porch to catch fire.  By the time the fire department arrived, the kitchen had also started to burn.  It was amazing to see how fast the fire spread, even in the few minutes that it took for the fire department to arrive and set everything up.  Because we were there at the time and were able to call the fire department quickly, most of her house was ok.  Had we not been there, it is likely that she would have lost everything (along with her neighbors).

        We live in a dense urban area.  Banning ALL fireworks is the smart and reasonable approach given the high potential for loss of life and property by fire.  I commend Chief Rubin and Fenty for getting this moving so quickly.

        AR

        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 1, 2008
          I strongly do NOT support the proposed ban. MPD should be given the
          authority to enforce the existing fireworks prohibition laws, but I do
          not think that all fireworks (including sparklers, other novelties,
          etc.) should be banned.

          Existing laws already ban the dangerous fireworks, a list of which is
          here: http://fems.dc.gov/fems/cwp/view,a,3,q,636583.asp

          The most dangerous and disturbing fireworks are already banned but the
          law is not well enforced; why not simply allow MPD to enforce the
          existing laws without prohibiting novelty fireworks such as childrens'
          sparklers?

          Can you tell us why our elected officials see *all* fireworks as a
          dangerous threat? One of the most-publicized injuries from last
          year-- a 5-year old getting hurt while playing with fireworks-- was
          the result of a firecracker (something that is already illegal under
          *existing* law).

          Are sparklers causing a huge number of injuries, is there something
          else I'm missing, or is the proposed legislation an overkill? Please
          do give MPD the authority to enforce existing bans, but there is no
          need that I see for banning all other fireworks.

          Matt

          On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 1:00 PM, <khenderson029@...> wrote:
          > Good Afternoon All:
          >
          > The ANC 5B10 community overwhelmingly supports the ban and we believe the
          > timing could not be better. Each year our community is practically held
          > hostage by individuals that turn our streets and alleys into discharge
          > sites, causing excessive noise, litter and burn marks in the streets. The
          > weeks leading up to July 4th leave many citizens wondering whether guns are
          > being discharged, subsequently draining police resources. A cloud of acrid
          > smoke fills the air on the actual celebration day and makes breathing
          > difficult for young and old alike and the noise lingers for weeks
          > afterwards.
          >
          > We support the ban and look forward to a day of celebration that does not
          > include incendiary material flying through our neighborhoods and disrupting
          > our peace, order and quiet. Last year, Council Chair Vince Gray attended our
          > community meeting to discuss the proposed ban of fireworks and we are glad
          > this action is pending and relief is forthcoming. Kudos to Mayor Fenty and
          > Councilmember Graham for fast-tracking this issue to provide much needed
          > relief for our communities. We look forward to unanimous support from the
          > Council on this issue and welcome a quieter, safer July 4th celebration.
          >
          > Sincerely,
          >
          > Kathy Henderson for Commissioner India A. Henderson, 5B10
          >

          > ________________________________
          > Get trade secrets for amazing burgers. Watch "Cooking with Tyler Florence"
          > on AOL Food.

        • tvehunt
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 1, 2008
            Good Day All:

            I could not have said it better myself Ms. Henderson, I too do
            support the ban of FIREWORKS as well. I hope the Mayor does get the
            bill passed for it to happen!!!

            Just my two cent.

            Thank you and have a blessed day.

            --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, khenderson029@... wrote:

            > Good Afternoon All:
            >
            > The ANC 5B10 community overwhelmingly supports the ban and we
            believe the
            > timing could not be better. Each year our community is practically
            held hostage
            > by individuals that turn our streets and alleys into discharge
            sites, causing
            > excessive noise, litter and burn marks in the streets. The weeks
            leading up
            > to July 4th leave many citizens wondering whether guns are being
            discharged,
            > subsequently draining police resources. A cloud of acrid smoke
            fills the air
            > on the actual celebration day and makes breathing difficult for
            young and old
            > alike and the noise lingers for weeks afterwards.
            >
            > We support the ban and look forward to a day of celebration that
            does not
            > include incendiary material flying through our neighborhoods and
            disrupting our
            > peace, order and quiet. Last year, Council Chair Vince Gray
            attended our
            > community meeting to discuss the proposed ban of fireworks and we
            are glad this
            > action is pending and relief is forthcoming. Kudos to Mayor Fenty
            and
            > Councilmember Graham for fast-tracking this issue to provide much
            needed relief for
            > our communities. We look forward to unanimous support from the
            Council on
            > this issue and welcome a quieter, safer July 4th celebration.
            >
            > Sincerely,
            >
            > Kathy Henderson for Commissioner India A. Henderson, 5B10
            >

            > **************Get trade secrets for amazing burgers. Watch "Cooking
            with
            > Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.
            > (http://food.aol.com/tyler-florence?video=4&?
            NCID=aolfod00030000000002)

          • arodeojock@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 2, 2008
              I'm all for it if they actually enforce it. They've not been too effective with laws already on the books, though.

              My question is this: Will the emergency legislation eliminate this ramshackles stands all over the city that sell fireworks? Or will they just be required to sell only sparklers and those little firecrackers??

              --Patrick

              +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

              �Those who would renegotiate the boundaries between church and state must therefore answer a difficult question: Why would we trade a system that has served us so well for one that has served others so poorly?�
              - Sandra Day O'Connor, Van Orden v. Perry and McCreary County v. ACLU

              From: "tvehunt" <tvehunt@...>

              Good Day All:

              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 2, 2008
                In your example, the fireworks involved were (and are) *already*
                illegal. Why do we need to expand the ban to cover all others (mostly
                novelties such as sparklers)? I support, however, giving MPD the
                authority to enforce the current ban.

                Matt

              • Matt Ashburn
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 2, 2008
                  Patrick,

                  The proposed "emergency" legislation bans *all* fireworks, including
                  sparklers. Firecrackers are already illegal under current law.

                  Matt

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 2, 2008
                    So I can infer from your answer that I won't see any of these fire hazaards marring parking lots if the legislation passes?

                    --
                    +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

                    From: "Matt Ashburn" <matt@...>

                    Patrick,

                  • k.jarrell01@comcast.net
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 2, 2008
                      The real point here is we starting asking for this ban nearly a year ago. Now all of a sudden it has to be emergency legislation.  The should have been introduced and brought forward months ago in order to keep everyone from losing.  Another horrible job by our law makers in failing to really represent the very people that voted them into office.

                      Keith Jarrell

                      --
                      In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
                      Martin Luther King Jr.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 5, 2008
                        Sadly, it appears that the council has failed to vote on a ban for
                        fireworks in the District of Columbia.
                        Much from poor planning I feel! If you go back and carefully ready
                        postings on this listserv(4D) from last July (07) it was clear then
                        that citizens wanted these potentially dangerous toys stricken from
                        being sold and used in the District.

                        One has to wonder why nearly a year went by before council could
                        bring themselves bring the subject to vote? One has to wonder why it
                        took Councilmember Barry to realize that to now rule them illegal
                        would impose on the vendors that had already started their process to
                        set up their stands to sell the fireworks. Which is reality is
                        correct.

                        However, if we had engaged representation on city council, this
                        bill would have been carefully studied, well written and introduced
                        in enough time to allow for public testimony and a full vote.
                        Clearly with so many residents disgruntled about fireworks and their
                        potentially danger to both human life, and our property, council
                        would have been forced to have out lawed them.
                        Once again, a lack of planning, clearly a lack of listening to the
                        voters, and poor timing has now created another grand 4th of July
                        where we will practically be held prisoner in our homes to safeguard
                        against damage from fireworks.

                        Why can't council and more specifically our ward 4 council listen to
                        the needs of the community? Why can't they react for once on
                        something in a timely manner so that everyone involved can be heard
                        and the proper actions taken?

                        Keith Jarrell
                        --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Ashburn" <matt@...> wrote:

> [...]
                        disrupting
                        > > our peace, order and quiet. Last year, Council Chair Vince Gray
                        attended our
                        > > community meeting to discuss the proposed ban of fireworks and we
                        are glad
                        > > this action is pending and relief is forthcoming. Kudos to Mayor
                        Fenty and
                        > > Councilmember Graham for fast-tracking this issue to provide much
                        needed
                        > > relief for our communities. We look forward to unanimous support
                        from the
                        > > Council on this issue and welcome a quieter, safer July 4th
                        celebration.

                        > > Sincerely,
                        > >
                        > > Kathy Henderson for Commissioner India A. Henderson, 5B10
                        > >

                        > > ________________________________
                        > > Get trade secrets for amazing burgers. Watch "Cooking with Tyler

                      • Matt Ashburn
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 5, 2008
                          The dangerous fireworks (firecrackers, etc.) are *already* illegal;
                          the law just isn't enforced very much. Council should draft
                          legislation that allows MPD to enforce the existing ban.

                          Matt

                        • truxtonresident@yahoo.com
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 5, 2008
                            Matt - you are right but for some reason people are too caught up getting a ban in place instead of actually enforcing what we already have on the books.

                            If even if the ban had been enacted by Council, it would not have resulted in any change to what we face every year

                            Unless MPD starts enforcing the laws - existing or new - nothing will change.

                            From: "Matt Ashburn" <matt@...>

                            Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 09:18:33
                            To:MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com

                            <k.jarrell01@ <mailto:k.jarrell01%40comcast.net> comcast.net> wrote:
> [...]
                            > disrupting
                            >> > our peace, order and quiet. Last year, Council Chair Vince Gray
                            > attended our
                            >> > community meeting to discuss the proposed ban of fireworks and we
                            > are glad
                            >> > this action is pending and relief is forthcoming. Kudos to Mayor
                            > Fenty and
                            >> > Councilmember Graham for fast-tracking this issue to provide much
                            > needed
                            >> > relief for our communities. We look forward to unanimous support
                            > from the
                            >> > Council on this issue and welcome a quieter, safer July 4th
                            > celebration.
                            >> >
                            >> > Sincerely,
                            >> >
                            >> > Kathy Henderson for Commissioner India A. Henderson, 5B10
                            >> >

                            >> > ________________________________
                            >> > Get trade secrets for amazing burgers. Watch "Cooking with Tyler

                          • tominbrookland
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 6, 2008
                              This "the police should enforce the existing laws" is such a
                              tiresome argument. Logistically, the police cannot investigate the
                              type and size of a firework, sparkler or any other incendiary when
                              they receive a complaint. Not to mention, the proliferation of
                              firework stands and devices that flood the city each summer creates
                              a volume of devices that cannot be inspected and vetted.

                              But the MAIN POINT is that one citizen does not have the right to
                              engage in behavior excessive infringes on the quality of life of
                              another, especially when such behavior is not related to a greater,
                              common good. So, it's OK to be awoken at 3AM by a ambulance siren,
                              but not by a firework. Add to this the burden to MPD and emergency
                              services that are routinely required for fireworks emergencies (an
                              expense and vulnerability borne by all of us, including the masses
                              who feel fireworks should be banned), and it's simple - private
                              fireworks should be neither sold nor ignited in this city. We need a
                              broad and enforceable ban.

                              --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, truxtonresident@... wrote:

                              > Matt - you are right but for some reason people are too caught up
                              getting a ban in place instead of actually enforcing what we already
                              have on the books.

                              > If even if the ban had been enacted by Council, it would not have
                              resulted in any change to what we face every year

                              > Unless MPD starts enforcing the laws - existing or new - nothing
                              will change.

                              Fireworks

                              com, "Matt Ashburn" <matt@> wrote:

                              > >> I strongly do NOT support the proposed ban. MPD should be
                              given the
                              > >> authority to enforce the existing fireworks prohibition laws,
                              but I
                              > > do
                              > >> not think that all fireworks (including sparklers, other
                              novelties,
                              > >> etc.) should be banned.
                              > >>
                              > >> Existing laws already ban the dangerous fireworks, a list of
                              which
                              > > is
                              > >> here: http://fems.
                              <http://fems.dc.gov/fems/cwp/view,a,3,q,636583.asp>
                              dc.gov/fems/cwp/view,a,3,q,636583.asp

                              > >> The most dangerous and disturbing fireworks are already banned
                              but
                              > > the
                              > >> law is not well enforced; why not simply allow MPD to enforce
                              the
                              > >> existing laws without prohibiting novelty fireworks such as
                              > > childrens'
                              > >> sparklers?
                              > >>
                              > >> Can you tell us why our elected officials see *all* fireworks
                              as a
                              > >> dangerous threat? One of the most-publicized injuries from last
                              > >> year-- a 5-year old getting hurt while playing with fireworks--
                              was
                              > >> the result of a firecracker (something that is already illegal
                              under
                              > >> *existing* law).
                              > >>
                              > >> Are sparklers causing a huge number of injuries, is there
                              something
                              > >> else I'm missing, or is the proposed legislation an overkill?
                              > > Please
                              > >> do give MPD the authority to enforce existing bans, but there
                              is no
                              > >> need that I see for banning all other fireworks.
                              > >>
                              > >> Matt

                              > > believe the
                              > > practically held
                              > > discharge
                              > > streets. The
                              > > whether guns are
                              > > of acrid
                              > > breathing

                              > > does not
                              > > disrupting
                              Gray
                              > > attended our
                              > > are glad
                              Mayor
                              > > Fenty and
                              > > needed
                              > > from the
                              > > celebration.

                              Tyler
                              > > Florence"

                            • Thembi Butler
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 6, 2008

                                Driving home on the 4th last year, my husband and I saw that MPD was out in full force.  In at least two cases, we passed officers watching (and seeming to enjoy) the displays (of fireworks that clearly were “illegal” based on all the news coverage on the topic last year) that were being put on in the middle of the street.  We did not see any enforcement.  Not being able to respond to calls is one thing, but not enforcing a law when it’s being broken under your nose (and in my opinion, condoning the behavior) is quite another.

                                So, tiresome argument or not, if the new ban were “enforced” like the old ban – I’m not sure what the point would be.

                                Thembi Butler

                                Metaformers, Inc.

                                Mobile 202.431.1169| Thembi.Butler@...

                                com, "Matt Ashburn" <matt@> wrote:

                                > >> I strongly do NOT support the proposed ban. MPD should be
                                given the
                                > >> authority to enforce the existing fireworks prohibition laws,
                                but I
                                > > do
                                > >> not think that all fireworks (including sparklers, other
                                novelties,
                                > >> etc.) should be banned.
                                > >>
                                > >> Existing laws already ban the dangerous fireworks, a list of
                                which
                                > > is
                                > >> here: http://fems.
                                <http://fems. dc.gov/fems/ cwp/view, a,3,q,636583. asp>
                                dc.gov/fems/ cwp/view, a,3,q,636583. asp

                                > >> The most dangerous and disturbing fireworks are already banned
                                but
                                > > the
                                > >> law is not well enforced; why not simply allow MPD to enforce
                                the
                                > >> existing laws without prohibiting novelty fireworks such as
                                > > childrens'
                                > >> sparklers?
                                > >>
                                > >> Can you tell us why our elected officials see *all* fireworks
                                as a
                                > >> dangerous threat? One of the most-publicized injuries from last
                                > >> year-- a 5-year old getting hurt while playing with fireworks--
                                was
                                > >> the result of a firecracker (something that is already illegal
                                under
                                > >> *existing* law).
                                > >>
                                > >> Are sparklers causing a huge number of injuries, is there
                                something
                                > >> else I'm missing, or is the proposed legislation an overkill?
                                > > Please
                                > >> do give MPD the authority to enforce existing bans, but there
                                is no
                                > >> need that I see for banning all other fireworks.
                                > >>
                                > >> Matt

                                > > believe the
                                > > practically held
                                > > discharge