Emergency Legislation Proposed to Ban Fireworks

  • Robert Vinson Brannum
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 1, 2008

      News Release for Immediate Release
      May 30, 2008

      Fenty, Graham Propose Ban on the Sale of Fireworks in the District

      New Legislation Improves Enforcement Capabilities and Safety of Residents

      Today, Mayor Adrian M. Fenty and Ward 1 Councilmember Jim Graham joined DC Fire & EMS Chief Dennis L. Rubin to announce proposed legislation that would effectively ban the use and sale of all consumer fireworks in the District of Columbia, except those staged by professional pyrotechnics experts.

      The Fireworks Neighborhood Safety Emergency Act of 2008 will help prevent the personal injury and property damage that traditionally stems from the use of fireworks by the general public.  The legislation removes any exceptions to the current ban and would allow multi-faceted enforcement that includes DC Fire & EMS Department and the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD).

      "The time has come to once and for all extinguish these dangerous devices," said Mayor Fenty.  "This legislation will bring us in line with neighboring jurisdictions in recognizing that the safety of our residents must be preserved."

      The proposed legislation expands the current district to allow direct MPD enforcement of the ban.  Previously, only Fire and EMS were able to provide direct enforcement of the ban allowing MPD only secondary enforcement capabilities.  Complete fireworks bans are in effect in Montgomery and Prince George's counties as well as Baltimore, Md.

      “This injury saving, public safety measure has great clarity and it will help a lot of people,” said Graham.

      Last year the Mayor’s Citywide Call Center received more than 4,000 calls in one 12-hour period during the July 4th holiday due to improper use of fireworks in the District, the same number of calls usually made in a 24-hour period.

      "Fireworks are not toys that can be treated casually," said Chief Rubin.  "It is essential that District residents leave any handling of these combustible devices to licensed experts."

    • khenderson029@aol.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 1, 2008
        Good Afternoon All:

        The ANC 5B10 community overwhelmingly supports the ban and we believe the timing could not be better. Each year our community is practically held hostage by individuals that turn our streets and alleys into discharge sites, causing excessive noise, litter and burn marks in the streets. The weeks leading up to July 4th leave many citizens wondering whether guns are being discharged, subsequently draining police resources. A cloud of acrid smoke fills the air on the actual celebration day and makes breathing difficult for young and old alike and the noise lingers for weeks afterwards.

        We support the ban and look forward to a day of celebration that does not include incendiary material flying through our neighborhoods and disrupting our peace, order and quiet. Last year, Council Chair Vince Gray attended our community meeting to discuss the proposed ban of fireworks and we are glad this action is pending and relief is forthcoming. Kudos to Mayor Fenty and Councilmember Graham for fast-tracking this issue to provide much needed relief for our communities. We look forward to unanimous support from the Council on this issue and welcome a quieter, safer July 4th celebration.

        Sincerely,

        Kathy Henderson for Commissioner India A. Henderson, 5B10

      • TruxtonResident
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 1, 2008
          Don't count on it.

          Until this and all current laws/bans are enforced regarding fireworks, nothing will change this July 4th.

          The type of firework displays that have already begun to be shot off in DC are already illegal.

          And MPD and other government agencies do very little to enforce the current laws.

           Put this new initiative in the bin with all the others laws that are on teh books but not enforced in DC .... like illegal parking on Sundays.

          TR

          khenderson029@... wrote:
[...]

        • A R
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 1, 2008
            I am VERY supportive of this ban.  It's long overdue.  About six years ago, I was visiting a friend's house in NW on the evening of July 4th.  The usual illegal fireworks celebrations were taking place.  To make a long story short, one of the fireworks being launched by some adults (not kids) in her alley caused her back porch to catch fire.  By the time the fire department arrived, the kitchen had also started to burn.  It was amazing to see how fast the fire spread, even in the few minutes that it took for the fire department to arrive and set everything up.  Because we were there at the time and were able to call the fire department quickly, most of her house was ok.  Had we not been there, it is likely that she would have lost everything (along with her neighbors).

            We live in a dense urban area.  Banning ALL fireworks is the smart and reasonable approach given the high potential for loss of life and property by fire.  I commend Chief Rubin and Fenty for getting this moving so quickly.

            AR

            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 1, 2008
              I strongly do NOT support the proposed ban. MPD should be given the
              authority to enforce the existing fireworks prohibition laws, but I do
              not think that all fireworks (including sparklers, other novelties,
              etc.) should be banned.

              Existing laws already ban the dangerous fireworks, a list of which is
              here: http://fems.dc.gov/fems/cwp/view,a,3,q,636583.asp

              The most dangerous and disturbing fireworks are already banned but the
              law is not well enforced; why not simply allow MPD to enforce the
              existing laws without prohibiting novelty fireworks such as childrens'
              sparklers?

              Can you tell us why our elected officials see *all* fireworks as a
              dangerous threat? One of the most-publicized injuries from last
              year-- a 5-year old getting hurt while playing with fireworks-- was
              the result of a firecracker (something that is already illegal under
              *existing* law).

              Are sparklers causing a huge number of injuries, is there something
              else I'm missing, or is the proposed legislation an overkill? Please
              do give MPD the authority to enforce existing bans, but there is no
              need that I see for banning all other fireworks.

              Matt

              On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 1:00 PM, <khenderson029@...> wrote:
              > Good Afternoon All:
              >
              > The ANC 5B10 community overwhelmingly supports the ban and we believe the
              > timing could not be better. Each year our community is practically held
              > hostage by individuals that turn our streets and alleys into discharge
              > sites, causing excessive noise, litter and burn marks in the streets. The
              > weeks leading up to July 4th leave many citizens wondering whether guns are
              > being discharged, subsequently draining police resources. A cloud of acrid
              > smoke fills the air on the actual celebration day and makes breathing
              > difficult for young and old alike and the noise lingers for weeks
              > afterwards.
              >
              > We support the ban and look forward to a day of celebration that does not
              > include incendiary material flying through our neighborhoods and disrupting
              > our peace, order and quiet. Last year, Council Chair Vince Gray attended our
              > community meeting to discuss the proposed ban of fireworks and we are glad
              > this action is pending and relief is forthcoming. Kudos to Mayor Fenty and
              > Councilmember Graham for fast-tracking this issue to provide much needed
              > relief for our communities. We look forward to unanimous support from the
              > Council on this issue and welcome a quieter, safer July 4th celebration.
              >
              > Sincerely,
              >
              > Kathy Henderson for Commissioner India A. Henderson, 5B10
              >

              > ________________________________
              > Get trade secrets for amazing burgers. Watch "Cooking with Tyler Florence"
              > on AOL Food.

            • tvehunt
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 1, 2008
                Good Day All:

                I could not have said it better myself Ms. Henderson, I too do
                support the ban of FIREWORKS as well. I hope the Mayor does get the
                bill passed for it to happen!!!

                Just my two cent.

                Thank you and have a blessed day.

                --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, khenderson029@... wrote:

                > Good Afternoon All:
                >
                > The ANC 5B10 community overwhelmingly supports the ban and we
                believe the
                > timing could not be better. Each year our community is practically
                held hostage
                > by individuals that turn our streets and alleys into discharge
                sites, causing
                > excessive noise, litter and burn marks in the streets. The weeks
                leading up
                > to July 4th leave many citizens wondering whether guns are being
                discharged,
                > subsequently draining police resources. A cloud of acrid smoke
                fills the air
                > on the actual celebration day and makes breathing difficult for
                young and old
                > alike and the noise lingers for weeks afterwards.
                >
                > We support the ban and look forward to a day of celebration that
                does not
                > include incendiary material flying through our neighborhoods and
                disrupting our
                > peace, order and quiet. Last year, Council Chair Vince Gray
                attended our
                > community meeting to discuss the proposed ban of fireworks and we
                are glad this
                > action is pending and relief is forthcoming. Kudos to Mayor Fenty
                and
                > Councilmember Graham for fast-tracking this issue to provide much
                needed relief for
                > our communities. We look forward to unanimous support from the
                Council on
                > this issue and welcome a quieter, safer July 4th celebration.
                >
                > Sincerely,
                >
                > Kathy Henderson for Commissioner India A. Henderson, 5B10
                >

                > **************Get trade secrets for amazing burgers. Watch "Cooking
                with
                > Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.
                > (http://food.aol.com/tyler-florence?video=4&?
                NCID=aolfod00030000000002)

              • arodeojock@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 2, 2008
                  I'm all for it if they actually enforce it. They've not been too effective with laws already on the books, though.

                  My question is this: Will the emergency legislation eliminate this ramshackles stands all over the city that sell fireworks? Or will they just be required to sell only sparklers and those little firecrackers??

                  --Patrick

                  +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

                  �Those who would renegotiate the boundaries between church and state must therefore answer a difficult question: Why would we trade a system that has served us so well for one that has served others so poorly?�
                  - Sandra Day O'Connor, Van Orden v. Perry and McCreary County v. ACLU

                  From: "tvehunt" <tvehunt@...>

                  Good Day All:

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 2, 2008
                    In your example, the fireworks involved were (and are) *already*
                    illegal. Why do we need to expand the ban to cover all others (mostly
                    novelties such as sparklers)? I support, however, giving MPD the
                    authority to enforce the current ban.

                    Matt

                  • Matt Ashburn
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 2, 2008
                      Patrick,

                      The proposed "emergency" legislation bans *all* fireworks, including
                      sparklers. Firecrackers are already illegal under current law.

                      Matt

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 2, 2008
                        So I can infer from your answer that I won't see any of these fire hazaards marring parking lots if the legislation passes?

                        --
                        +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

                        From: "Matt Ashburn" <matt@...>

                        Patrick,

                      • k.jarrell01@comcast.net
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 2, 2008
                          The real point here is we starting asking for this ban nearly a year ago. Now all of a sudden it has to be emergency legislation.  The should have been introduced and brought forward months ago in order to keep everyone from losing.  Another horrible job by our law makers in failing to really represent the very people that voted them into office.

                          Keith Jarrell

                          --
                          In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
                          Martin Luther King Jr.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 5, 2008
                            Sadly, it appears that the council has failed to vote on a ban for
                            fireworks in the District of Columbia.
                            Much from poor planning I feel! If you go back and carefully ready
                            postings on this listserv(4D) from last July (07) it was clear then
                            that citizens wanted these potentially dangerous toys stricken from
                            being sold and used in the District.

                            One has to wonder why nearly a year went by before council could
                            bring themselves bring the subject to vote? One has to wonder why it
                            took Councilmember Barry to realize that to now rule them illegal
                            would impose on the vendors that had already started their process to
                            set up their stands to sell the fireworks. Which is reality is
                            correct.

                            However, if we had engaged representation on city council, this
                            bill would have been carefully studied, well written and introduced
                            in enough time to allow for public testimony and a full vote.
                            Clearly with so many residents disgruntled about fireworks and their
                            potentially danger to both human life, and our property, council
                            would have been forced to have out lawed them.
                            Once again, a lack of planning, clearly a lack of listening to the
                            voters, and poor timing has now created another grand 4th of July
                            where we will practically be held prisoner in our homes to safeguard
                            against damage from fireworks.

                            Why can't council and more specifically our ward 4 council listen to
                            the needs of the community? Why can't they react for once on
                            something in a timely manner so that everyone involved can be heard
                            and the proper actions taken?

                            Keith Jarrell
                            --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Ashburn" <matt@...> wrote:

> [...]
                            disrupting
                            > > our peace, order and quiet. Last year, Council Chair Vince Gray
                            attended our
                            > > community meeting to discuss the proposed ban of fireworks and we
                            are glad
                            > > this action is pending and relief is forthcoming. Kudos to Mayor
                            Fenty and
                            > > Councilmember Graham for fast-tracking this issue to provide much
                            needed
                            > > relief for our communities. We look forward to unanimous support
                            from the
                            > > Council on this issue and welcome a quieter, safer July 4th
                            celebration.

                            > > Sincerely,
                            > >
                            > > Kathy Henderson for Commissioner India A. Henderson, 5B10
                            > >

                            > > ________________________________
                            > > Get trade secrets for amazing burgers. Watch "Cooking with Tyler

                          • Matt Ashburn
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 5, 2008
                              The dangerous fireworks (firecrackers, etc.) are *already* illegal;
                              the law just isn't enforced very much. Council should draft
                              legislation that allows MPD to enforce the existing ban.

                              Matt

                            • truxtonresident@yahoo.com
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 5, 2008
                                Matt - you are right but for some reason people are too caught up getting a ban in place instead of actually enforcing what we already have on the books.

                                If even if the ban had been enacted by Council, it would not have resulted in any change to what we face every year

                                Unless MPD starts enforcing the laws - existing or new - nothing will change.

                                From: "Matt Ashburn" <matt@...>

                                Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 09:18:33
                                To:MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com

                                <k.jarrell01@ <mailto:k.jarrell01%40comcast.net> comcast.net> wrote:
> [...]
                                > disrupting
                                >> > our peace, order and quiet. Last year, Council Chair Vince Gray
                                > attended our
                                >> > community meeting to discuss the proposed ban of fireworks and we
                                > are glad
                                >> > this action is pending and relief is forthcoming. Kudos to Mayor
                                > Fenty and
                                >> > Councilmember Graham for fast-tracking this issue to provide much
                                > needed
                                >> > relief for our communities. We look forward to unanimous support
                                > from the
                                >> > Council on this issue and welcome a quieter, safer July 4th
                                > celebration.
                                >> >
                                >> > Sincerely,
                                >> >
                                >> > Kathy Henderson for Commissioner India A. Henderson, 5B10
                                >> >

                                >> > ________________________________
                                >> > Get trade secrets for amazing burgers. Watch "Cooking with Tyler

                              • tominbrookland
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 6, 2008
                                  This "the police should enforce the existing laws" is such a
                                  tiresome argument. Logistically, the police cannot investigate the
                                  type and size of a firework, sparkler or any other incendiary when
                                  they receive a complaint. Not to mention, the proliferation of
                                  firework stands and devices that flood the city each summer creates
                                  a volume of devices that cannot be inspected and vetted.

                                  But the MAIN POINT is that one citizen does not have the right to
                                  engage in behavior excessive infringes on the quality of life of
                                  another, especially when such behavior is not related to a greater,
                                  common good. So, it's OK to be awoken at 3AM by a ambulance siren,
                                  but not by a firework. Add to this the burden to MPD and emergency
                                  services that are routinely required for fireworks emergencies (an
                                  expense and vulnerability borne by all of us, including the masses
                                  who feel fireworks should be banned), and it's simple - private
                                  fireworks should be neither sold nor ignited in this city. We need a
                                  broad and enforceable ban.

                                  --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, truxtonresident@... wrote:

                                  > Matt - you are right but for some reason people are too caught up
                                  getting a ban in place instead of actually enforcing what we already
                                  have on the books.

                                  > If even if the ban had been enacted by Council, it would not have
                                  resulted in any change to what we face every year

                                  > Unless MPD starts enforcing the laws - existing or new - nothing
                                  will change.

                                  Fireworks

                                  com, "Matt Ashburn" <matt@> wrote:

                                  > >> I strongly do NOT support the proposed ban. MPD should be
                                  given the
                                  > >> authority to enforce the existing fireworks prohibition laws,
                                  but I
                                  > > do
                                  > >> not think that all fireworks (including sparklers, other
                                  novelties,
                                  > >> etc.) should be banned.
                                  > >>
                                  > >> Existing laws already ban the dangerous fireworks, a list of
                                  which
                                  > > is
                                  > >> here: http://fems.
                                  <http://fems.dc.gov/fems/cwp/view,a,3,q,636583.asp>
                                  dc.gov/fems/cwp/view,a,3,q,636583.asp

                                  > >> The most dangerous and disturbing fireworks are already banned
                                  but
                                  > > the
                                  > >> law is not well enforced; why not simply allow MPD to enforce
                                  the
                                  > >> existing laws without prohibiting novelty fireworks such as
                                  > > childrens'
                                  > >> sparklers?
                                  > >>
                                  > >> Can you tell us why our elected officials see *all* fireworks
                                  as a
                                  > >> dangerous threat? One of the most-publicized injuries from last
                                  > >> year-- a 5-year old getting hurt while playing with fireworks--
                                  was
                                  > >> the result of a firecracker (something that is already illegal
                                  under
                                  > >> *existing* law).
                                  > >>
                                  > >> Are sparklers causing a huge number of injuries, is there
                                  something
                                  > >> else I'm missing, or is the proposed legislation an overkill?
                                  > > Please
                                  > >> do give MPD the authority to enforce existing bans, but there
                                  is no
                                  > >> need that I see for banning all other fireworks.
                                  > >>
                                  > >> Matt

                                  > > believe the
                                  > > practically held
                                  > > discharge
                                  > > streets. The
                                  > > whether guns are
                                  > > of acrid
                                  > > breathing

                                  > > does not
                                  > > disrupting
                                  Gray
                                  > > attended our
                                  > > are glad
                                  Mayor
                                  > > Fenty and
                                  > > needed
                                  > > from the
                                  > > celebration.

                                  Tyler
                                  > > Florence"

                                • Thembi Butler
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jun 6, 2008

                                    Driving home on the 4th last year, my husband and I saw that MPD was out in full force.  In at least two cases, we passed officers watching (and seeming to enjoy) the displays (of fireworks that clearly were “illegal” based on all the news coverage on the topic last year) that were being put on in the middle of the street.  We did not see any enforcement.  Not being able to respond to calls is one thing, but not enforcing a law when it’s being broken under your nose (and in my opinion, condoning the behavior) is quite another.

                                    So, tiresome argument or not, if the new ban were “enforced” like the old ban – I’m not sure what the point would be.

                                    Thembi Butler

                                    Metaformers, Inc.

                                    Mobile 202.431.1169| Thembi.Butler@...

                                    com, "Matt Ashburn" <matt@> wrote:

                                    > >> I strongly do NOT support the proposed ban. MPD should be
                                    given the
                                    > >> authority to enforce the existing fireworks prohibition laws,
                                    but I
                                    > > do
                                    > >> not think that all fireworks (including sparklers, other
                                    novelties,
                                    > >> etc.) should be banned.
                                    > >>
                                    > >> Existing laws already ban the dangerous fireworks, a list of
                                    which
                                    > > is
                                    > >> here: http://fems.
                                    <http://fems. dc.gov/fems/ cwp/view, a,3,q,636583. asp>
                                    dc.gov/fems/ cwp/view, a,3,q,636583. asp

                                    > >> The most dangerous and disturbing fireworks are already banned
                                    but
                                    > > the
                                    > >> law is not well enforced; why not simply allow MPD to enforce
                                    the
                                    > >> existing laws without prohibiting novelty fireworks such as
                                    > > childrens'
                                    > >> sparklers?
                                    > >>
                                    > >> Can you tell us why our elected officials see *all* fireworks
                                    as a
                                    > >> dangerous threat? One of the most-publicized injuries from last
                                    > >> year-- a 5-year old getting hurt while playing with fireworks--
                                    was
                                    > >> the result of a firecracker (something that is already illegal
                                    under
                                    > >> *existing* law).
                                    > >>
                                    > >> Are sparklers causing a huge number of injuries, is there
                                    something
                                    > >> else I'm missing, or is the proposed legislation an overkill?
                                    > > Please
                                    > >> do give MPD the authority to enforce existing bans, but there
                                    is no
                                    > >> need that I see for banning all other fireworks.
                                    > >>
                                    > >> Matt

                                    > > believe the
                                    > > practically held
                                    > > discharge