RE: [MPD-5D] attack at 10th & RI

  • Greene, Lamar (MPD)
    Message 1 of 8 , May 29, 2008
      RE: [MPD-5D] attack at 10th & RI

      Thank you for your observation, please call mpd when this group is seen again.  We will identify all of them and show pictures to the robbery victim.

      Make sure you limit your cell and ipod usage when walking anywhere in public.  Pay attention to your surroundings, look for groups hanging near alleys on sidewalks and cross the street, avoid going near these individuals.  Neighbors should call when they observe suspicious activity,  you can never be over cautious!!

      Message 2 of 8 , May 29, 2008
        Thanks for replying.

        The problem is that there are ALWAYS people hanging out on 10th &
        Rhode Island. Always.

        Sometimes they are familiar. Sometimes they aren't. Sometimes they
        are pleasant. Sometimes they are nasty.

        I can call 911 every time I see that, and an officer can cruise by,
        but then what?

        I know there isn't one right answer to this question, but I feel
        officers need to know the challenges of citizens who aren't protected
        by cars, guns, badges, etc., and feel helpless and victimized in their
        own neighborhoods.

        Thanks again,
        Kristen

        --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Greene, Lamar \(MPD\)"
        <lamar.greene@...> wrote:

        > Thank you for your observation, please call mpd when this group is
        seen again. We will identify all of them and show pictures to the
        robbery victim.

        > Make sure you limit your cell and ipod usage when walking anywhere
        in public. Pay attention to your surroundings, look for groups
        hanging near alleys on sidewalks and cross the street, avoid going
        near these individuals. Neighbors should call when they observe
        suspicious activity, you can never be over cautious!!

        > Sent from my GoodLink synchronized handheld (www.good.com)
      • A R
        Message 3 of 8 , May 29, 2008

          Also, what do we say when we call 911?  I have tried to call 911 in the past when seeing suspicious people hanging out somewhere.  Sometimes, it was just something that didn't look right.  In multiple instances, I was told by the 911 operator that because no one was doing anything illegal, an officer wouldn't be dispatched out.  I was basically told to call back when a crime occurred.  Your reference to what us ordinary citizens have to go through is very accurate.  There are too many of us, people who pay a lot of money in taxes to live in this city, that are being made to feel like helpless victims in our own neighborhoods.

          AR

          <lamar.greene@ ...> wrote:

          > Thank you for your observation, please call mpd when this group is
          seen again. We will identify all of them and show pictures to the
          robbery victim.

          > Make sure you limit your cell and ipod usage when walking anywhere
          in public. Pay attention to your surroundings, look for groups
          hanging near alleys on sidewalks and cross the street, avoid going
          near these individuals. Neighbors should call when they observe
          suspicious activity, you can never be over cautious!!

          > Sent from my GoodLink synchronized handheld (www.good.com)

        • Wayne Steinhilber
          Message 4 of 8 , May 29, 2008

            AR:

            In reference to your question, simply tell the 911 call taker you wish to report a suspicious person(s)  and explain the circumstances and provide a clothing lookout. There should be no trouble having this type of call dispatched to patrol units in the field.

            And continue to trust your instincts about what you see taking place in your neighborhood and don't hesitate to call us.  We need your assistance. You are going to know what does not seem right, be it a suspicious car circling the block, subjects hanging out in the alley or someone who appears to be following someone walking home from work. Of course, not all of these examples may involve illegal activity. But I would much rather receive the call and have my officers check the situation out then to have a crime possibly take place.

            I will keep you and other group members posted on the progress of our investigations into this robbery.  Thank you for your posting.

            Sergeant Wayne Steinhilber

            Patrol Supervisor - PSA 502

          • k.jarrell01@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 8 , May 30, 2008
              Let's be frank and honest here too.  Calling 911 does not necessarily mean you will get a police response.  Of late I have found that late at night the likelihood is very slim.  I live in 4D and there are some issues to say the least.

              Secondly,  it is not always viable to assume that even if you get a police response it will be one that will break up the reason for the complaint.

              Example: Tuesday night into Wednesday morning,  there were four police cars and at least 7 officers congregating outside 7/11 on 14th Street, NW (I realize this is not in 5D) and Columbia Road,  drinking coffee. So what type of protection and presence did that neighborhood have?

              This goes on too in 4D,  as I have seen it both day and night.  The real problem in my mind is often a lack of supervision during some shifts in what is likely all Districts.  Thus, the officers on the streets know they can get by with not responding.

              Keith Jarrell

              --
              In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
              Martin Luther King Jr.

              From: A R <arcurlyq@...>

              Message 6 of 8 , May 30, 2008
                I too have experienced this, albeit to varying degrees.  It has not been uncommon to call the police about something illegal happening (i.e.,dealers on the corner, kids smoking pot and drinking openly, people urinating in public, people smoking crack in the alley behind my house, etc) to have the police either never respond to the call (at least, not in the hour during which I waited and watched) or respond only with a quick drive by.  Often times, the crime itself was still in progress and officers never even bothered to get out of their cars.

                That being said, I have seen a significant reduction in this type of "non-response" during the past year.  I see more officers out on bikes and on foot, which really helps them see exactly what we citizens see.  I hope the MPD can do more of this community policing because it really makes a difference.

                But we still have too many officers who get by without doing a whole lot.  The worst part of this is that it's the officers who do their jobs, and do them well, who get stuck picking up the slack.  These high-performing officers have to put their own lives on the line far too often to make up for what other officers fail to do.  I know that the MPD is vastly improved compared to what it was just 5 years ago, but there is still a ways to go.  The city needs to do more to recruit and retain good officers (mainly through better pay and better schedules) and get rid of the bad ones.

                AR

                From: A R <arcurlyq@yahoo. com>

                Message 7 of 8 , May 30, 2008

                  The excuse I got this week to two near sleepless nights were maybe no one was available, since they are all on bikes and on foot beats.
                  Everyday takes a new turn here with policing at night.
                  I for one think we lack real supervision in probably more than one district at night.
                  After-all our commanders can't do it all.  They work days,  normally Mon. - Fri. and the weakness occurs in my opinion during the midnight shifts.
                  We all know in 4D we have a Cpt. that won't be far from his office air conditioner when it's hot.
                  On the other side of the issue we have some excellent police officers and some of the supervisors are really engaged and very involved.
                  Rome certainly wasn't built in a day,  but lordy lordy lordy it sure didn't take it long to burn.

                  Keith Jarrell

                  From: A R <arcurlyq@yahoo. com>