Speed Bumps on 2nd St NE (between V & T Sts)

  • tmanago538
    Message 1 of 6 , May 28, 2008
      Commander Greene-

      We live on 2nd Street NE (right in the middle of a violent crime
      area of focus) in Eckington and I have two small children (ages 3
      and 1). My family has a history in this neighborhood and the
      traffic on 2nd Street is and always has been equal to a drag racing
      zone. As the crime in our neighborhood has significantly increased
      so have the number of police chases on our one-way street (in the
      wrong direction). While I realize 2nd Street is one of the only
      semi-direct routes from RI Ave to Florida Ave, and several emergency
      vehicles travel this street, it is still a residential area where
      plenty of children play and ride bikes.

      What can we do to get speed bumps on 2nd Street? Speed bumps were
      recently added to T St between 2nd St and Lincoln Rd because of the
      school zone and the excessive speeding on that street during school
      hours. My fear is that someone on our street will be the victim of
      a speeding car or police vehicle in pursuit if something isn't done
      to slow the traffic on 2nd Street.

      I've sent requests to Vincent Orange (prior to the last election)
      and Harry Thomas, Jr to no avail. I have not gotten a response from
      Mt. Thomas' office and I was advised to start there.

      Any assistance from your office would be greatly appreciated.

      Regards,
      Terry Manago
    • Thembi Butler
      Message 2 of 6 , May 28, 2008

        We are in precisely the same situation, on 2nd ST NE between T and S.  We also have children aged 1 and 3, and would love to even have a stop sign at the intersection of S and Seaton.  We regularly see police cars (though usually not apparently chasing anyone) going the wrong way down 2nd Street, and the speeds that people reach in the straightaway between T street and R Streets NE on 2nd are obscene.  It’s my greatest fear that I’ll be hit while strapping one of the kids into a car seat, and quite frankly, my closest calls have been with MPD driving the wrong way down the street.  I’m hyper vigilant about watching the traffic as I do this, but you never expect it to be coming from the wrong direction.

        Thembi Butler

        Metaformers, Inc.

        Mobile 202.431.1169| Thembi.Butler@...

        Message 3 of 6 , May 29, 2008
          We contacted DDOT and DPW to get them installed on my street.
          Depending on the time of year, the process can take a few months to a
          year, and involves getting signatures from your neighbors in support
          of the speed bump installation. DDOT's website is
          http://www.ddot.dc.gov

          Good luck getting a reply from Harry Thomas' office; I've heard
          he/they aren't very responsive from others before.

          Matt

        • Detria Hutchinson
          Message 4 of 6 , May 29, 2008
            I would disagree with your assertion that Councilman Thomas is unresponsive.  I have contacted him regarded several issues and received prompt responses.  Thank you.

            We contacted DDOT and DPW to get them installed on my street.
            Depending on the time of year, the process can take a few months to a
            year, and involves getting signatures from your neighbors in support
            of the speed bump installation. DDOT's website is
            http://www.ddot. dc.gov

            Good luck getting a reply from Harry Thomas' office; I've heard
            he/they aren't very responsive from others before.

            Matt

          • Matt Ashburn
            Message 5 of 6 , May 29, 2008
              My statements were based on attempts by my neighbors to contact him
              and his staff recently. In our case, responses were very hard to come
              by-- via e-mail and phone. I'm glad to hear that he responded to you
              promptly.

              Matt

            • Jwh
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 1, 2008
                There are new speed humps on Islamic Way NW on the edge of Ward 5. (NFI)
                So it can be done. Keep trying.

                -Jon