Re: 18th and Otis NE

  • isearched
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 5, 2005
      Erin,

      Welcome to 18th and Otis! It's like "there's a party going on every
      night". If you drive on Otis during the day, you'll see the profuse
      amount of trash left by their activities. This activity has been
      reported for a long time to police, ANC Commissioners, and others.
      But, insufficient action has been taken. It time to take away the
      police from 12th street and place them on Otis!

      --Tim Greene

      --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "erheramb" <erheramb@y...> wrote:
      > Just thought that I would share something with all of you.
      >
      > My wife and I were driving past the school grounds on Otis St. NE
      > between 18th and 20th NE at 10:50pm on Saturday, 6/4/05, when we
      > viewed approximately 15 individuals (african-american males and
      > females, late teens to early twenties) drinking alcoholic beverages
      > and loitering on the basketball courts. Several other individuals,
      > matching the same description as above were drinking and smoking
      > marijuana in and around vehicles parked on Otis NE, next to the
      > basketball courts. My wife contacted 311 and reported the situation
      > listed above. As we continued on our way, we passed a police patrol
      > car on 12th NE and stopped to let the officer (patrol car #529, with
      > a single african-american male) know about what we had seen. I spoke
      > directly to the officer who spoke with dispatch and assured me that
      > he was going to immediately respond to 18th and Otis NE to assess
      > the situation. My wife and I decided to head back to 18th and Otis
      > NE, just a few seconds behind patrol car #529, to see what would
      > happen next. We intersected patrol car #529 at 16th and Otis NE and
      > followed him on 16th to Newton NE where he stopped for a short
      > period of time prior to making a right hand turn onto Newton NE and
      > continuing in the direction of 12th NE. So, my wife and I continued
      > on to 18th and Otis NE where we witnessed all of the individuals
      > described above along individuals in vehicles that had arrived
      > sometime after our initial pass of the area. These individuals were
      > consuming alcohol, smoking marijuana and incommoding. I placed
      > another call into 311 since it appears as though patrol car #529 was
      > unable to handle the situation. We left it at that and continued
      > home.
      >
      > Remember these are your tax dollars at work...
      > Rob & Erin
      > 10th St. NE
    • Patrick Nelson
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 5, 2005

        And welcome to Ward 5 where Councilman Orange could care less.  I’ve sent many emails to his office about various issues, including getting some insight on the Fireworks legalities, and no one EVER responds.

        Someone won’t be getting a vote from THIS new Ward 5 resident when his seat is up for reelection.  And I’m seriously considering volunteering for his challenger!

        --Patrick Nelson

        Welcome to 18th and Otis! It's like "there's a party going on every
        night". If you drive on Otis during the day, you'll see the profuse
        amount of trash left by their activities. This activity has been
        reported for a long time to police, ANC Commissioners, and others.
        But, insufficient action has been taken. It time to take away the
        police from 12th street and place them on Otis!

        --Tim Greene

        --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com , "erheramb" <erheramb@y...> wrote:
        > Just thought that I would share something with all of you.
        >
        > My wife and I were driving past the school grounds on Otis St. NE
        > between 18th and 20th NE at 10:50pm on Saturday, 6/4/05, when we
        > viewed approximately 15 individuals (african-american males and
        > females, late teens to early twenties) drinking alcoholic beverages
        > and loitering on the basketball courts.  Several other individuals,
        > matching the same description as above were drinking and smoking
        > marijuana in and around vehicles parked on Otis NE, next to the
        > basketball courts. My wife contacted 311 and reported the situation
        > listed above.  As we continued on our way, we passed a police patrol
        > car on 12th NE and stopped to let the officer (patrol car #529, with
        > a single african-american male) know about what we had seen. I spoke
        > directly to the officer who spoke with dispatch and assured me that
        > he was going to immediately respond to 18th and Otis NE to assess
        > the situation. My wife and I decided to head back to 18th and Otis
        > NE, just a few seconds behind patrol car #529, to see what would
        > happen next. We intersected patrol car #529 at 16th and Otis NE and
        > followed him on 16th to Newton NE where he stopped for a short
        > period of time prior to making a right hand turn onto Newton NE and
        > continuing in the direction of 12th NE. So, my wife and I continued
        > on to 18th and Otis NE where we witnessed all of the individuals
        > described above along individuals in vehicles that had arrived
        > sometime after our initial pass of the area. These individuals were
        > consuming alcohol, smoking marijuana and incommoding. I placed
        > another call into 311 since it appears as though patrol car #529 was
        > unable to handle the situation. We left it at that and continued
        > home.
        >
        > Remember these are your tax dollars at work...
        > Rob & Erin
        > 10th St. NE

      • garett_jonesii
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 5, 2005
          1) What if that police guy got a call on the police radio for a
          robbery in progress or a shooting or a stabbing or a domestic
          violence victim screaming for help? What do you think was the
          priority? I don't think the protocol for police is to respond to
          citizens driving up next to them telling them where to go.

          2) How in the world were you able to tell that someone was smoking
          marijuana from a distance, while you were securely hidden in your car?

          3) What are the alternatives for youth in our area to get together
          for social purposes, especially on Friday and Saturday nights? What
          options will they have this summer?

          4) I think as residents, we should get together and install cameras
          in our neighborhoods and advertise those cameras by posting signs
          that say "THIS AREA IS UNDER CAMERA SURVEILLANCE." We are sure to
          get results. There are other things we can do as residents to
          assist. I learned a long long time ago that we cannot rely on the
          police department to solve every neighborhood nuisance we
          experience. If you don't believe me call the police department and
          ask them how can you schedule a ride-along. That is how you can see
          all the calls they get and the nature of those calls.

          5) Has anyone been to a police meeting or called to see if that area
          could be put on special alert for officers to visit throughout their
          shifts. In the Third District we were told that locations can be put
          on special attention. That is how we got officers to pay frequent
          visits to areas where loitering was prevalent.

          I don't like seeing people hanging out in front of my property
          either. There are plenty of ways we can curtail this kind of
          behavior without expecting a full-time stationary cop to be on every
          corner in every section of our district. It's not gonna happen.

          --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "erheramb" <erheramb@y...> wrote:
          > Just thought that I would share something with all of you.
          >
          > My wife and I were driving past the school grounds on Otis St. NE
          > between 18th and 20th NE at 10:50pm on Saturday, 6/4/05, when we
          > viewed approximately 15 individuals (african-american males and
          > females, late teens to early twenties) drinking alcoholic beverages
          > and loitering on the basketball courts. Several other individuals,
          > matching the same description as above were drinking and smoking
          > marijuana in and around vehicles parked on Otis NE, next to the
          > basketball courts. My wife contacted 311 and reported the situation
          > listed above. As we continued on our way, we passed a police
          patrol
          > car on 12th NE and stopped to let the officer (patrol car #529,
          with
          > a single african-american male) know about what we had seen. I
          spoke
          > directly to the officer who spoke with dispatch and assured me that
          > he was going to immediately respond to 18th and Otis NE to assess
          > the situation. My wife and I decided to head back to 18th and Otis
          > NE, just a few seconds behind patrol car #529, to see what would
          > happen next. We intersected patrol car #529 at 16th and Otis NE and
          > followed him on 16th to Newton NE where he stopped for a short
          > period of time prior to making a right hand turn onto Newton NE and
          > continuing in the direction of 12th NE. So, my wife and I continued
          > on to 18th and Otis NE where we witnessed all of the individuals
          > described above along individuals in vehicles that had arrived
          > sometime after our initial pass of the area. These individuals were
          > consuming alcohol, smoking marijuana and incommoding. I placed
          > another call into 311 since it appears as though patrol car #529
          was
          > unable to handle the situation. We left it at that and continued
          > home.
          >
          > Remember these are your tax dollars at work...
          > Rob & Erin
          > 10th St. NE
        • Medoro, Anthony (MPD)
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 6, 2005
            I will advise PSA 502 officers and sergeants to give the 18-2000 block of Otis Street, NE more attention.

            Lt. Medoro