18th and Otis NE

  • erheramb
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 4, 2005
      Just thought that I would share something with all of you.

      My wife and I were driving past the school grounds on Otis St. NE
      between 18th and 20th NE at 10:50pm on Saturday, 6/4/05, when we
      viewed approximately 15 individuals (african-american males and
      females, late teens to early twenties) drinking alcoholic beverages
      and loitering on the basketball courts. Several other individuals,
      matching the same description as above were drinking and smoking
      marijuana in and around vehicles parked on Otis NE, next to the
      basketball courts. My wife contacted 311 and reported the situation
      listed above. As we continued on our way, we passed a police patrol
      car on 12th NE and stopped to let the officer (patrol car #529, with
      a single african-american male) know about what we had seen. I spoke
      directly to the officer who spoke with dispatch and assured me that
      he was going to immediately respond to 18th and Otis NE to assess
      the situation. My wife and I decided to head back to 18th and Otis
      NE, just a few seconds behind patrol car #529, to see what would
      happen next. We intersected patrol car #529 at 16th and Otis NE and
      followed him on 16th to Newton NE where he stopped for a short
      period of time prior to making a right hand turn onto Newton NE and
      continuing in the direction of 12th NE. So, my wife and I continued
      on to 18th and Otis NE where we witnessed all of the individuals
      described above along individuals in vehicles that had arrived
      sometime after our initial pass of the area. These individuals were
      consuming alcohol, smoking marijuana and incommoding. I placed
      another call into 311 since it appears as though patrol car #529 was
      unable to handle the situation. We left it at that and continued
      home.

      Remember these are your tax dollars at work...
      Rob & Erin
      10th St. NE
    • isearched
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 5, 2005
        Erin,

        Welcome to 18th and Otis! It's like "there's a party going on every
        night". If you drive on Otis during the day, you'll see the profuse
        amount of trash left by their activities. This activity has been
        reported for a long time to police, ANC Commissioners, and others.
        But, insufficient action has been taken. It time to take away the
        police from 12th street and place them on Otis!

        --Tim Greene

        --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "erheramb" <erheramb@y...> wrote:
        > Just thought that I would share something with all of you.
        >
        > My wife and I were driving past the school grounds on Otis St. NE
        > between 18th and 20th NE at 10:50pm on Saturday, 6/4/05, when we
        > viewed approximately 15 individuals (african-american males and
        > females, late teens to early twenties) drinking alcoholic beverages
        > and loitering on the basketball courts. Several other individuals,
        > matching the same description as above were drinking and smoking
        > marijuana in and around vehicles parked on Otis NE, next to the
        > basketball courts. My wife contacted 311 and reported the situation
        > listed above. As we continued on our way, we passed a police patrol
        > car on 12th NE and stopped to let the officer (patrol car #529, with
        > a single african-american male) know about what we had seen. I spoke
        > directly to the officer who spoke with dispatch and assured me that
        > he was going to immediately respond to 18th and Otis NE to assess
        > the situation. My wife and I decided to head back to 18th and Otis
        > NE, just a few seconds behind patrol car #529, to see what would
        > happen next. We intersected patrol car #529 at 16th and Otis NE and
        > followed him on 16th to Newton NE where he stopped for a short
        > period of time prior to making a right hand turn onto Newton NE and
        > continuing in the direction of 12th NE. So, my wife and I continued
        > on to 18th and Otis NE where we witnessed all of the individuals
        > described above along individuals in vehicles that had arrived
        > sometime after our initial pass of the area. These individuals were
        > consuming alcohol, smoking marijuana and incommoding. I placed
        > another call into 311 since it appears as though patrol car #529 was
        > unable to handle the situation. We left it at that and continued
        > home.
        >
        > Remember these are your tax dollars at work...
        > Rob & Erin
        > 10th St. NE
      • Patrick Nelson
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 5, 2005

          And welcome to Ward 5 where Councilman Orange could care less.  I’ve sent many emails to his office about various issues, including getting some insight on the Fireworks legalities, and no one EVER responds.

          Someone won’t be getting a vote from THIS new Ward 5 resident when his seat is up for reelection.  And I’m seriously considering volunteering for his challenger!

          --Patrick Nelson

          Welcome to 18th and Otis! It's like "there's a party going on every
          night". If you drive on Otis during the day, you'll see the profuse
          amount of trash left by their activities. This activity has been
          reported for a long time to police, ANC Commissioners, and others.
          But, insufficient action has been taken. It time to take away the
          police from 12th street and place them on Otis!

          --Tim Greene

          --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com , "erheramb" <erheramb@y...> wrote:
          > Just thought that I would share something with all of you.
          >
          > My wife and I were driving past the school grounds on Otis St. NE
          > between 18th and 20th NE at 10:50pm on Saturday, 6/4/05, when we
          > viewed approximately 15 individuals (african-american males and
          > females, late teens to early twenties) drinking alcoholic beverages
          > and loitering on the basketball courts.  Several other individuals,
          > matching the same description as above were drinking and smoking
          > marijuana in and around vehicles parked on Otis NE, next to the
          > basketball courts. My wife contacted 311 and reported the situation
          > listed above.  As we continued on our way, we passed a police patrol
          > car on 12th NE and stopped to let the officer (patrol car #529, with
          > a single african-american male) know about what we had seen. I spoke
          > directly to the officer who spoke with dispatch and assured me that
          > he was going to immediately respond to 18th and Otis NE to assess
          > the situation. My wife and I decided to head back to 18th and Otis
          > NE, just a few seconds behind patrol car #529, to see what would
          > happen next. We intersected patrol car #529 at 16th and Otis NE and
          > followed him on 16th to Newton NE where he stopped for a short
          > period of time prior to making a right hand turn onto Newton NE and
          > continuing in the direction of 12th NE. So, my wife and I continued
          > on to 18th and Otis NE where we witnessed all of the individuals
          > described above along individuals in vehicles that had arrived
          > sometime after our initial pass of the area. These individuals were
          > consuming alcohol, smoking marijuana and incommoding. I placed
          > another call into 311 since it appears as though patrol car #529 was
          > unable to handle the situation. We left it at that and continued
          > home.
          >
          > Remember these are your tax dollars at work...
          > Rob & Erin
          > 10th St. NE

        • garett_jonesii
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 5, 2005
            1) What if that police guy got a call on the police radio for a
            robbery in progress or a shooting or a stabbing or a domestic
            violence victim screaming for help? What do you think was the
            priority? I don't think the protocol for police is to respond to
            citizens driving up next to them telling them where to go.

            2) How in the world were you able to tell that someone was smoking
            marijuana from a distance, while you were securely hidden in your car?

            3) What are the alternatives for youth in our area to get together
            for social purposes, especially on Friday and Saturday nights? What
            options will they have this summer?

            4) I think as residents, we should get together and install cameras
            in our neighborhoods and advertise those cameras by posting signs
            that say "THIS AREA IS UNDER CAMERA SURVEILLANCE." We are sure to
            get results. There are other things we can do as residents to
            assist. I learned a long long time ago that we cannot rely on the
            police department to solve every neighborhood nuisance we
            experience. If you don't believe me call the police department and
            ask them how can you schedule a ride-along. That is how you can see
            all the calls they get and the nature of those calls.

            5) Has anyone been to a police meeting or called to see if that area
            could be put on special alert for officers to visit throughout their
            shifts. In the Third District we were told that locations can be put
            on special attention. That is how we got officers to pay frequent
            visits to areas where loitering was prevalent.

            I don't like seeing people hanging out in front of my property
            either. There are plenty of ways we can curtail this kind of
            behavior without expecting a full-time stationary cop to be on every
            corner in every section of our district. It's not gonna happen.

            --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "erheramb" <erheramb@y...> wrote:
            > Just thought that I would share something with all of you.
            >
            > My wife and I were driving past the school grounds on Otis St. NE
            > between 18th and 20th NE at 10:50pm on Saturday, 6/4/05, when we
            > viewed approximately 15 individuals (african-american males and
            > females, late teens to early twenties) drinking alcoholic beverages
            > and loitering on the basketball courts. Several other individuals,
            > matching the same description as above were drinking and smoking
            > marijuana in and around vehicles parked on Otis NE, next to the
            > basketball courts. My wife contacted 311 and reported the situation
            > listed above. As we continued on our way, we passed a police
            patrol
            > car on 12th NE and stopped to let the officer (patrol car #529,
            with
            > a single african-american male) know about what we had seen. I
            spoke
            > directly to the officer who spoke with dispatch and assured me that
            > he was going to immediately respond to 18th and Otis NE to assess
            > the situation. My wife and I decided to head back to 18th and Otis
            > NE, just a few seconds behind patrol car #529, to see what would
            > happen next. We intersected patrol car #529 at 16th and Otis NE and
            > followed him on 16th to Newton NE where he stopped for a short
            > period of time prior to making a right hand turn onto Newton NE and
            > continuing in the direction of 12th NE. So, my wife and I continued
            > on to 18th and Otis NE where we witnessed all of the individuals
            > described above along individuals in vehicles that had arrived
            > sometime after our initial pass of the area. These individuals were
            > consuming alcohol, smoking marijuana and incommoding. I placed
            > another call into 311 since it appears as though patrol car #529
            was
            > unable to handle the situation. We left it at that and continued
            > home.
            >
            > Remember these are your tax dollars at work...
            > Rob & Erin
            > 10th St. NE
          • Medoro, Anthony (MPD)
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 6, 2005
              I will advise PSA 502 officers and sergeants to give the 18-2000 block of Otis Street, NE more attention.

              Lt. Medoro