Re: [MPD-5D] Re: This morning's raid on 78 O Street?

  • sara kaufman
    Message 1 of 10 , May 4, 2008
      I know your question was for the Assistant Chief,  but hopefully you'll entertain a comment from a member of the group:

      Community Impact statements are one way the you and other effected can help get a stiffer sentence.  [Assuming of course the justice system finds him guilty]

      Community Impact statements are letters written by community residents to the Judge of the case - that can highlight or list the negative impact the offender has done to the community.  The Judge may consider these letters during the sentencing phase.

      Find (or volunteer yourself) to be a point of contact to help draft, collect and submit impact letters to the judge once a case number is assigned.  Your ANC Commissioner may be able to help.  As I understand the process:  Anonymous letters are possible;  but even if signed, the names are not submitted in the court documents.  [you might want to double check that with the U.S. Attorney's Office]

      MPD or Dawn Hopkins of the U.S. Attorney's Office should be able to provide Case Number and other pertinent info, and the Judges name, address, fax etc.   And perhaps provide tips in how to best structure the letters.

      A couple years ago our ANC Commissioner in 5C04[Bloomingdale]  worked with the U.S. Attorney's Office, and collected impact letters from those effected by a repeat offender (in our case a drug dealer) and submitted to the Judge of the case.   This guy had been a problem in our neighborhood for years  and had been in out of the system several times,  but only with short jail times.      The Judge later commented to our point person that the letters "made a difference" .

      If your neighborhood doesn't want this guy back on the street - this may be a way to help keep him locked up longer.   [Assuming of course the justice system finds him guilty]
      Maybe whoever wants to be point of contact can send an email in this forum,   and those interested could respond back just to that address?

      Im not sure if MPD can also submit letters.

      I hope I havent made any mis-statements; hopefully Ms. Hopkins or Chief Groomes can provide more info.

      Im glad to hear he's locked up,  Good luck keeping him there.

      On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 5:41 PM, tvehunt <tvehunt@...> wrote:

      Thank you Asst. Chief Groomes for the information on Mr. Pycho. My
      next qeustion is, how long will he be incarcerated? considering that
      jail is exactly were he belongs for life I would hope!!!

      A response is appreciated.

      Thank you very much and thumbs up for the great job that the MPD-5D
      has done by getting this PYSCHO ASS of the streets.

      --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Groomes, Diane \(MPD\)"

      <diane.groomes@...> wrote:

      > Today the homicide unit arrested mr lavelle williams aka
      pscyho...for murder.....he is charged with the april 19th homicide
      that occurred inside 1200 n capital st

    • k.jarrell01@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 10 , May 4, 2008
        Great work Homicide and 5th District.
        It's been a difficult couple of weeks but hang in there good will prevail!
        We appreciate your hard work.
        Keith Jarrell

        --
        In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
        Martin Luther King Jr.

        From: "Groomes, Diane (MPD)" <diane.groomes@...>

        Today the homicide unit arrested mr lavelle williams aka pscyho...for murder.....he is charged with the april 19th homicide that occurred inside 1200 n capital st

        > Good day MPD-5D,  I would like to know the answer to that qeustion
        on
        > what was going on that day at, 78 O Street NW as well?
        >
        > A response is appreciated,
        >

        > Thank you very much.
        >

        > --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups. com, "acbclag" <clagett@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Does anyone have any information they can share?  What was the
        goal?
        > What was found?
        > > Etc.
        > >
        > > Thanks.

      • Groomes, Diane (MPD)
        Message 3 of 10 , May 4, 2008
          Re: [MPD-5D] Re: This morning's raid on 78 O Street?

          I agree with your statements below for I cannot answer how long mr williams will be held in jail...for there is now a prosecutory process that will take place.....i will have the us attorney of 5d give you an idea of what an individual may recieve as a sentence for homicide

> [...]

          I hope I havent made any mis-statements; hopefully Ms. Hopkins or Chief
          Groomes can provide more info.

          Im glad to hear he's locked up,  Good luck keeping him there.

          On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 5:41 PM, tvehunt <tvehunt@...> wrote:

          >   Thank you Asst. Chief Groomes for the information on Mr. Pycho. My
          > next qeustion is, how long will he be incarcerated? considering that
          > jail is exactly were he belongs for life I would hope!!!
          >
          > A response is appreciated.
          >
          > Thank you very much and thumbs up for the great job that the MPD-5D
          > has done by getting this PYSCHO ASS of the streets.
          >
          > --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com <MPD-5D%40yahoogroups.com>, "Groomes, Diane
          > \(MPD\)"
          > <diane.groomes@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Today the homicide unit arrested mr lavelle williams aka
          > pscyho...for murder.....he is charged with the april 19th homicide

        • tvehunt
          Message 4 of 10 , May 4, 2008
            I do greatly appreciate you keeping me inform on what is next for how
            long Mr. Pyhcho shall remain in incarcerated.

            Thank you very much Asst. Chief Groomes and to the MPD-5D for, doing
            such a great job.

            <diane.groomes@...> wrote:

            > I agree with your statements below for I cannot answer how long mr
            williams will be held in jail...for there is now a prosecutory
            process that will take place.....i will have the us attorney of 5d
            give you an idea of what an individual may recieve as a sentence for
            homicide

            > Sent from my GoodLink synchronized handheld (www.good.com)

          • tvehunt
            Message 5 of 10 , May 4, 2008
              Thank you Sara Kaufman for the advice, I will look into what you have
              suggested.