Re: [MPD-5D] Let's Discuss Pocket Bikes

  • k.jarrell01@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 9 , May 2, 2008
      In a nutshell,  very dangerous and should be banned!  Council needs to do their job and get them off our streets NOW!
      Keith Jarrell

      --
      In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
      Martin Luther King Jr.

      From: Jon <jwh_east@...>

      IMZENAIDA,
      I think your first email had too many questions, and they were too closely linked. In a moment of frustration, I think any resident is prone to do that. This may be especially true for those of us who agree w/ you on the 'broken window' issue. When I see an officer ignore a minor crime, (my blood boils then) I spend the time trying to justify their action in my mind. I try to stay aware of the fact they have undisclosed priorities, tasks, assignment, and threats. But to the point.

      For your question:
      Are Pocket Bikes allowed on sidewalks?
      Were we not instructed to dial 911 when we see this occur?

      Please, please correct me if I recall this email thread incorrectly, b/c I will be one of the first residents calling THIS weekend.
      -jon

> [...]
        --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups. com, "imzenaida" <zenaida@...> wrote:

        > What is the DC Law regarding Pocket Bikes?
        > Is there a DC Law regarding Pocket Bikes?
        > Do you need a license to operate a Pocket Bike?
        > Are Pocket Bikes allowed on the street?
        > Are Pocket Bikes allowed on sidewalks?
        > Are Pocket Bikes allowed to be operated by minors? On the Sidewalk? On
        > the Street?
        > Are pocket Bikes allowed to be operated by minors under 4 feet in
        > height? On the Sidewalk? On the Street?
        >
        > My sidewalk and street was repaired recently. I live in a block of
        > rentals. Other than being unsafe for the short ones riding up and down
        > my sidewalk, will Pocket Bike riding ruin what the DC Government has
        > fixed?
        >
        > Would I have to ask these questions if I lived in Ward 3?

      • Greene, Lamar (MPD)
        Message 3 of 9 , May 2, 2008
          Re: [MPD-5D] Let's Discuss Pocket Bikes

          If the device doesn't have an engine that produces 50 cc's then it is not considered a vehicle.  Therefore the regulations revert to that of almost a bike. I am researching the regs to see if any apply to a pocket bike!!

> [...]
                  --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups. com, "imzenaida" <zenaida@...> wrote:

                  > What is the DC Law regarding Pocket Bikes?
                  > Is there a DC Law regarding Pocket Bikes?
                  > Do you need a license to operate a Pocket Bike?
                  > Are Pocket Bikes allowed on the street?
                  > Are Pocket Bikes allowed on sidewalks?
                  > Are Pocket Bikes allowed to be operated by minors? On the Sidewalk? On
                  > the Street?
                  > Are pocket Bikes allowed to be operated by minors under 4 feet in
                  > height? On the Sidewalk? On the Street?
                  >
                  > My sidewalk and street was repaired recently. I live in a block of
                  > rentals. Other than being unsafe for the short ones riding up and down
                  > my sidewalk, will Pocket Bike riding ruin what the DC Government has
                  > fixed?
                  >
                  > Would I have to ask these questions if I lived in Ward 3?

        • k_fw
          Message 4 of 9 , May 2, 2008
            Really? Because that wasn't true when I registered and insured my
            scooter (under 50cc), which by the way can go up to 50 mph.

            Thanks for doing the research. If you what you say is true, then I
            think citizens definitely need to go to Council to change the law.

            Kristen

            --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Greene, Lamar \(MPD\)"
            <lamar.greene@...> wrote:

            > If the device doesn't have an engine that produces 50 cc's then it
            is not considered a vehicle. Therefore the regulations revert to that
            of almost a bike. I am researching the regs to see if any apply to a
            pocket bike!!
          • Jon
            Message 5 of 9 , May 2, 2008
              From what I have see, I would GUESS that the DC DMV will gladly take your money for a store bought 49cc scooter, such as a Vespa or Honda.
              To get an Residential Parking Permit (RPP) you would need to register the scooter.  To protect your investment from theft, you would need insurance, which again may point you to the DMV.  To enter a military reservation or installation, you need a motor vehicle registration.  Registration not a bad idea for a 49cc scooter, but I have no idea if it is actually required by law.  My guess.

              Message 6 of 9 , May 2, 2008
                My guess at a definition would be a bike that is under 30 inches in height.  It often places the drivers head at the level of a CAR HOOD!  Also, no lights.  No turn signals.

                Scooters (over or under 50cc) have headlights, taillights, are well over 30 inches tall and place the driver at a visible height.

                We also have non-street legal (2 stroke) dirt bikes in the city.  Normal height, no lights, and unregulated emissions.

                Under a certain age, a "bike" rider must wear a helmet.  Pedal-Bicycle or pocket bike, correct?

                Adults on a "bike" under 50cc may not be required to wear a helmet.

                Regardless, none of these can be driven the wrong way down a street and blow through stop signs!!!!!  This is what I see too often.

                -j