Re: [MPD-5D] Re: mini-scooters

  • A R
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 30, 2008
      We have kids and young men riding these things all over our neighborhood.  They speed through alleys, ride on the sidewalks, and race down main roads while blasting through red lights and stop signs.  They are not using these as alternative forms of transportation to get to school or work either; they are using them just to race around the block or be look-outs for drug dealers.  The guys operating these scooters are posing a serious threat to public safety.  I was standing at a bus stop a couple of weeks ago (on the sidewalk) and a kid on one of these things came blasting down the sidewalk.  Had I not been paying attention and jumped out of the way, he would have probably hit me.  I estimate that he was going about 25-30 mph.

      If the law states that these things are illegal, than the MPD needs to get the resources to get these things off the street.  From what I understand, they have to be registered and, if they are not, the police are supposed to confiscate them.

      AR