RE: [MPD-5D] mini-scooters

  • Greene, Lamar (MPD)
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 28, 2008
      The Metropolitan Police Department does not engage in chasing any vehicle for traffic. However, I think if we can identify who owns these vehicles we can then go to the home and speak with the parents. the parents will be advised that the bike can be taken for its illegal use even if the officers just observe the infraction without initiating a chase. Lets try to work on identifying where these subjects live if they live in our community. Please keep me informed.

      Lamar D. Greene
      Commander
      Fifth District

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 29, 2008
        Can we call 911 for this when we see the scooters out and about?

        If a cruiser comes up and sees the scooter in action, what would be
        the protocol? If the kids (or adults!) are driving this thing around
        and suddenly drive away, will the police wait for them to return?
        Will they ask the driver to get off and then take it away?

        Sorry for the questions, but I have watched officers respond to a call
        and chat with the drivers of these things. Once the cruiser pulls
        away, the drivers are back to it.

        And what if these scooters are trucked in from Maryland? In instances
        I have witnessed, the scooter owners do not live here but pull up
        outside the apartments in a pick up and let the people hanging out
        take turns on our sidewalks. Can MPD take the bike then?

        One more thing I'd like to point out is that it isn't only kids on
        these. Adults ride them too! Many times they ride them to our local
        liquor store.

        Thanks for your responses,
        Kristen

        --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Greene, Lamar \(MPD\)"
        <lamar.greene@...> wrote:

        > The Metropolitan Police Department does not engage in chasing any
        vehicle for traffic. However, I think if we can identify who owns
        these vehicles we can then go to the home and speak with the parents.
        the parents will be advised that the bike can be taken for its
        illegal use even if the officers just observe the infraction without
        initiating a chase. Lets try to work on identifying where these
        subjects live if they live in our community. Please keep me informed.

        > Lamar D. Greene
        > Commander
        > Fifth District
      • Greene, Lamar (MPD)
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 29, 2008

          Yes call 911, units will respond and attempt to take possession of the mini bikes!!!

          <lamar.greene@ ...> wrote:

          > The Metropolitan Police Department does not engage in chasing any
          vehicle for traffic. However, I think if we can identify who owns
          these vehicles we can then go to the home and speak with the parents.
          the parents will be advised that the bike can be taken for its
          illegal use even if the officers just observe the infraction without
          initiating a chase. Lets try to work on identifying where these
          subjects live if they live in our community. Please keep me informed.

          > Lamar D. Greene
          > Commander
          > Fifth District

        • k_fw
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 29, 2008
            Great news! Thanks!

            <lamar.greene@...> wrote:

            > Yes call 911, units will respond and attempt to take possession of the
            > mini bikes!!!

          • 2 Much
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 29, 2008
              Well, if any of you see a teenage black male medium complected riding
              around in what appears to be a red and black mini dirtbike, let
              myself and MPD know. I've had this one taken right off of me at 12th
              and Newton at gunpoint and watched him ride away on the sidewalk of
              12th (Pizza Boli) towards Rhode Island Ave. This happened back in
              Oct. 2007 yet the idiot is still riding around in it, unchanged. I
              saw him yet a month and a half ago while driving in my car towards
              New York ave. I followed him as much as I could as he came ou of the
              Montana Ave. Community towards West Virginia Ave.

              Again if you all see this guy, report him. I'm the only owner of a
              small red/black dirt bike around here. (It's my son's birthday gift!)

              \(MPD\)" <lamar.greene@...> wrote:

              > The Metropolitan Police Department does not engage in chasing any
              vehicle for traffic. However, I think if we can identify who owns
              these vehicles we can then go to the home and speak with the
              parents. the parents will be advised that the bike can be taken for
              its illegal use even if the officers just observe the infraction
              without initiating a chase. Lets try to work on identifying where
              these subjects live if they live in our community. Please keep me
              informed.

              > Lamar D. Greene
              > Commander
              > Fifth District
              >

              > ________________________________

            • New2 Running
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 29, 2008
                This same mini-bike went rolling down Newton (west from 12th) and Otis around 3pm...up and down the blocks for about 30 minutes and then finally took off down towards 18th ST NE.

              • DCReardon@AOL.COM
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 29, 2008
                  So what is the law governing these things?  The officer says "call 911" but I also see cops sitting around when kids ride these things.  My grandsons have two of them, one night they were riding them near their other grands house, somehow the police took the bikes, I did not get the details, their dad went to the police station and got them back.  A few days later two officers showed up at my house to check the serial numbers of the mini's cause the police made a mistake and had returned one bike to the wrong person (not us).  My grands wear helmets.

                  \(MPD\)" <lamar.greene@ ...> wrote:

                  > The Metropolitan Police Department does not engage in chasing any
                  vehicle for traffic. However, I think if we can identify who owns
                  these vehicles we can then go to the home and speak with the
                  parents. the parents will be advised that the bike can be taken for
                  its illegal use even if the officers just observe the infraction
                  without initiating a chase. Lets try to work on identifying where
                  these subjects live if they live in our community. Please keep me
                  informed.

                  > Lamar D. Greene
                  > Commander
                  > Fifth District
                  >

                  > ____________ _________ _________ __

                • Greene, Lamar (MPD)
                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 29, 2008

                    This subject definitely needs to be stopped, therefore if you see this subject call 911.  if this is the same subject that robbed you of the bike, we can arrest him on a second sighting.  Which means if you see him again and point him out to us we can arrest him for the robbery and at least unauthorized use of a motor vehicle.  Please keep us informed, thank you!!

                    ymailto="mailto:MPD-5D%40yahoogroups.com">MPD-5D@yahoogroups. com on behalf of Jon

                    target="_blank">40yahoo.com> > wrote:
                    > I'd love a couple official answers on the topic of mini-scooters
                    (there has been confusion in the past):

                    > Is it legal to drive an unregistered mini-scooter on the sidewalk?
                    > Is it legal to drive an unregistered mini-scooter on the road?
                    >
                    > I frequently see them on the sidewalks and I usually call to report
                    it. A couple times I've had 911 staff argue with me about the
                    legality. A couple years ago, an officer from 4th district told me
                    they were not legal, but I've seen 5th district officers allow them
                    on the road in front of and alongside their cruisers.

                    > They are certainly dangerous for both drivers, pedestrians, and
                    other automobiles! I'd love to understand the legal issues and not
                    waste 911 staffers time unnecessarily.

                    > Thanks very much,
                    > Kristen

                  • Greene, Lamar (MPD)
                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 29, 2008

                      Please call 202-698-0111 and give us the details just in case we catch this subject!!

                      \(MPD\)" <lamar.greene@ ...> wrote:

                      > The Metropolitan Police Department does not engage in chasing any
                      vehicle for traffic. However, I think if we can identify who owns
                      these vehicles we can then go to the home and speak with the
                      parents. the parents will be advised that the bike can be taken for
                      its illegal use even if the officers just observe the infraction
                      without initiating a chase. Lets try to work on identifying where
                      these subjects live if they live in our community. Please keep me
                      informed.

                      > Lamar D. Greene
                      > Commander
                      > Fifth District
                      >

                      > ____________ _________ _________ __

                      on behalf of Jon
                      > Sent: Mon 4/28/2008 1:29 PM
                      > To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups. com
                      > Subject: [MPD-5D] mini-scooters
                      >

                      > I second J.T.
                      > The 200 block of P and Q Streets NW are an easy target to find
                      these scooters in operation. I have been 'buzzed' by a bike while
                      crossing the street. I would like to add that these vehicles do not
                      have head lamps, and the operator almost never wears a helmet. As a
                      motorcycle owner and driver myself, I think they set a bad precedence
                      by being allowed the break the law so obviously. In all seriousness,
                      these folks often get the nickname of 'organ donor". Given enough
                      warm summer nights, another driver will eventually kill themselves.
                      I only hope that they do not traumatize another driver in the process.

                      > -jon

                    • imzenaida
                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 29, 2008
                        What is the DC Law regardng Pocket Bikes?
                        Is sidewalk riding allowed?
                        Is sidewalk riding allowed with or without helmet?
                        Is sidewalk riding allowed for minors with or without helmet?
                        Is sidewalk riding allowed for minors under 4 feet with or without
                        helmet?

                        My sidewalk was just repaired. Do Pocket Bikes affect that?

                        Would this ever be a problem (or question) in Ward 3?

                        Thank you in advance

                        --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, DCReardon@... wrote:

                        > So what is the law governing these things?? The officer
                        says "call 911" but I also see cops sitting around when kids ride
                        these things.? My grandsons have two of them, one night they were
                        riding them near their other grands house, somehow the police took
                        the bikes, I did not get the details, their dad went to the police
                        station and got them back.? A few days later two officers showed up
                        at my house to check the serial numbers of the mini's cause the
                        police made a mistake and had returned one bike to the wrong person
                        (not us).? My grands wear helmets.

                      • k_fw
                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 30, 2008
                          Where in the District would it be safe or legal for ANYONE, let alone children, to ride these
                          miniscooters?

                          These things have very powerful engines and are very fast which makes them extremely
                          dangerous for pedestrians on sidewalks, and their low stature makes them deadly for the
                          drivers on city streets where drivers won't be able to see them. (By the way, ANY
                          motorized vehicle riding on the District's streets needs to be registered and insured, even
                          if it is under 50cc.)

                          They may be fun to drive, but I don't see how they have a place in the city...unless you
                          have a very, very long driveway.

                          --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, DCReardon@... wrote:

                          > So what is the law governing these things?? The officer says "call 911" but I also see
                          cops sitting around when kids ride these things.? My grandsons have two of them, one
                          night they were riding them near their other grands house, somehow the police took the
                          bikes, I did not get the details, their dad went to the police station and got them back.? A
                          few days later two officers showed up at my house to check the serial numbers of the
                          mini's cause the police made a mistake and had returned one bike to the wrong person
                          (not us).? My grands wear helmets.

                        • A R
                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 30, 2008
                            We have kids and young men riding these things all over our neighborhood.  They speed through alleys, ride on the sidewalks, and race down main roads while blasting through red lights and stop signs.  They are not using these as alternative forms of transportation to get to school or work either; they are using them just to race around the block or be look-outs for drug dealers.  The guys operating these scooters are posing a serious threat to public safety.  I was standing at a bus stop a couple of weeks ago (on the sidewalk) and a kid on one of these things came blasting down the sidewalk.  Had I not been paying attention and jumped out of the way, he would have probably hit me.  I estimate that he was going about 25-30 mph.

                            If the law states that these things are illegal, than the MPD needs to get the resources to get these things off the street.  From what I understand, they have to be registered and, if they are not, the police are supposed to confiscate them.

                            AR