5DCAC Message

  • Robert Vinson Brannum
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27, 2008

      DCMPD Shield.jpg  Fifth District Citizens’ Advisory Council  dc_flag

      Dear Ward 5 Family:

      On behalf of the officers of the Fifth District Citizens’ Advisory Council (5DCAC), I thank all of you who came out to the 24 April 2008 meeting of the 5DCAC to discuss a plan of action in the wake of recent violent crime and homicides in Ward 5.  I also thank Councilmember Harry Thomas, Jr. and At-Large Councilmember Phil Mendelson, Chairman of the D.C. City Council Committee on Public Safety and Judiciary not only for hearing from the community, but also for offering their perspectives.  We also extend a mighty thank-you to the panel of Ward 5 community leaders who spoke and offered their suggestions.  The 5DCAC extends sincere sympathies to all those tragically affected by violence.

      The clear consensus from the meeting was the officers of 5D are working hard for the citizens of Ward 5.  Additionally, Ward 5 residents expressed the importance of communication and trust between citizens and the law enforcement officers.  To solve crime, police need information from the community; and to help prevent crime the community needs to reach out each other, particularly our young people.  We must also find a way to engage those who are returning to our community after having been incarcerated or while on parole.

      During the 5DCAC community, meeting Councilmember Thomas and Assistant Chief of Police Dianne Groomes made a commitment to work with 5DCAC and the community to initiate a more vigilant plan of action.  In follow-up to the 5DCAC meeting and responding to the Ward 5 community, Councilmember Thomas, in partnership with WPGC and the DC Department of Parks and Recreation, will host “Yo Listen Up”—a town hall meeting for teens on Monday, 28 April 2008, from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m., at the Turkey Thicket Recreation Center.  Invited guests include Mayor Adrian Fenty; MPD Police Chief Cathy Lanier; MPD Assistant Police Chief Diane Groomes;  5D Commander Lamar Greene; Joshua Symonette, Youth Minister from Greater Mount Calvary Church; and other members of the Ward 5 pastoral community.

      In addition, on Saturday, 26 April 2008, Mayor Fenty and Chief Lanier announced MPD would enhance uniform patrol coverage, and enhance staffing citywide -- particularly in those areas where there has been an increase in violent crime.  All of us in Ward 5 and the entire District of Columbia must come together at this to resolve this issue.  Not only do those who commit crimes need to be brought to justice, but also we as community must encourage all our government leaders to shape public policy to reach, touch, and to make those who feel lost, abandoned, or forgotten that they are valued, their lives have meaning and a purpose.  Regardless of who we are, what we do for a living, our race, sex, education level, or economic status, we must come together for a united and peaceful community.  I encourage you to join the 5DCAC, your neighborhood civic association, your PSA (Police Service Area) and to attend the meetings of your Advisory Neighborhood Commission.  Regardless of who we are, what we do for a living, our race, sex, education level, or economic status, we must come together for a united and peaceful community.

      Officers of the Fifth District Citizens’ Advisory Council

      Robert Vinson Brannum, Chairman

      ANC5C08 Commissioner Marshall Phillips, Vice-Chairman

      Robert Artisst, Treasurer

      Frances Penn, Corresponding Secretary

      Michael Henderson, Recording Secretary

      Cynthia Greene, Archivist

      John Washington, Parliamentarian

      Lamar Greene, Fifth District Commander

      Robert Vinson Brannum

      Chairman, 5th  District Citizens’ Advisory Council, DCMPD

      202-328-7611 - fax

      This e-mail and my attached files are to be treated confidentially and are intended solely for the use of the recipient(s) identified above, unless and only to the extent that further distribution is specfically authorized by the sender.  If you are not a desginated recipient (or a person authorized to receive or deliver this confidential communication to the indended recipient(s), you have received this communication in error.  If so, you are prohibited from reviewing, using, disseminating, or distributing this e-mail message and any attached files.  If you received this confidential communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail message and permanently delete the orginal message.