TEXT VERSION: Press Release: CM Thomas Calls for Declaration of Crime Emergency in Ward 5

  • msvickylc
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3 2:14 PM
      TEXT: Washington, DC—Ward 5 Councilmember Harry "Tommy" Thomas, Jr.
      announced today that he is calling for a crime emergency to be
      declared for Ward 5. Since January 2008, the Ward has endured at least
      eight homicides, most of which occurred in the Langston, Trinidad, and
      Edgewood neighborhoods. Declaration of a Crime Emergency allows the
      city to suspend certain scheduling provisions.
      A District-wide crime emergency was declared in July 2006 through
      November 2006. During the five-month period, violent crime declined by
      more than 19 percent, and overall crime was down more than 14 percent
      citywide. Spikes in both homicides and robberies were also reversed.
      "The declaration of a Crime Emergency in 2006 quelled a surge of
      violence that had overtaken the city. We have a similar level of
      violence right now in Ward 5," said Councilmember Thomas. "I would
      like to see what worked at the city-wide level implemented at the Ward
      level. We must do whatever it takes to bring an end to the violence
      gripping Ward 5," said Thomas.
      ###