RE: [MPD-5D] Hot Zones

  • Burke, Patrick (MPD)
    Message 1 of 10 , May 6, 2005
      Erin. We're not referring to our hotspots, but to drug free zones, which have very specific criteria and do not exceed 120 hours. I'll talk with our crime analysis officer to discuss the feasibility of establishing a zone in that area. If your interested, DC Law 11-270 covers the law and delineates the criteria. I'll be happy to provide you with a copy.

      Captain Patrick A. Burke
      Fifth District, MPDC
      Buckle Up, Drive Safe and Make a Difference!

      Office: 202 727-4488
      Pager: 888 523-7099
      Message 2 of 10 , May 6, 2005
        I didn't receive a response from my email BUT I did see the very
        next morning a visible metro police presence at Rhode Island Metro.

        As of this morning, instead of 15 or so teenagers there were only 5.
        And I haven't seen the teenager who I thought of as the ringleader
        since the day I wrote the email.

        Not sure who I have to thank - maybe it was a coincidence - but
        THANKS!!! A very quick response!

        (quick aside - several of the kids spit frequently almost like they
        are chewing tobacco. Is there some drug that results in this
        behavior that I'm just too old to know about? Maybe they are just
        plain gross.)

        --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "roomforrent001"
        <roomforrent001@y...> wrote:
        > Every morning there are the same group of teenagers hanging out
        > between the bus stop and the metro entrance at Rhode Island Avenue
        > Metro. (I often wonder why they aren't EVER in school.) On
        several
        > occasions I have smelled pot smoke coming from their group. They
        also
        > ask for money most day. This morning a well-meaning lady stopped
        and
        > tried to dissuade these teenagers from 'using that junk'/ smoking
        > pot. Of course, the teens ignored her and I worried for her
        safety.

        > I know there is chronic underemployment; but, before school gets
        out
        > for the summer and less troubled teens join up with this
        particular
        > group of truant, seemingly unemployeed, youth, is there anything
        you
        > do something to have these young men stop panhandling, insulting
        metro
        > riders, smoking pot, and giving the area a seedy shady character
        every
        > morning?
      • Burke, Patrick (MPD)

          <roomforrent001@y...> wrote:
          > Every morning there are the same group of teenagers hanging out
          > between the bus stop and the metro entrance at Rhode Island Avenue
          > Metro. (I often wonder why they aren't EVER in school.) On
          several
          > occasions I have smelled pot smoke coming from their group. They
          also
          > ask for money most day. This morning a well-meaning lady stopped
          and
          > tried to dissuade these teenagers from 'using that junk'/ smoking
          > pot. Of course, the teens ignored her and I worried for her
          safety.

          > I know there is chronic underemployment; but, before school gets
          out
          > for the summer and less troubled teens join up with this
          particular
          > group of truant, seemingly unemployeed, youth, is there anything
          you
          > do something to have these young men stop panhandling, insulting
          metro
          > riders, smoking pot, and giving the area a seedy shady character
          every
          > morning?

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Scott Shappell
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 19, 2005
            Several shots were heard last night between 3:30 and 4:00 am on or around
            Bates Street, NW. Was anyone hurt? Can you give us any details?

            Scott Shappell
            www.truxtoncircle.org