Alleyway restrictions

  • g0vman
    Message 1 of 3 , May 5, 2005
      My query is in regard to the alleyway between Evarts and Franklin
      Streets--just west of 10th street NE. Cars frequently speed down the
      alleyway to bypass the traffic light--many times honking all the way
      down rather than slowing down to watch for cars backing-up or children
      playing. The alleyway is also used as the sole access point for three
      businesses: 1)taxi, 2)car repair, and 3)waste transfer station
      (beltway LLC). What can be done to prevent or limit vehicles from
      using the alleyway as a shortcut? Also, what can be done to reorient
      the access point for these businesses to the street rather than the
      alleyway, which is directly behind people's homes? I personally would
      like to see the businesses go as it creates a constant traffic jam
      with endless noise and junk. But I'll start with the alleyway.

      Thanks,

      Nathan
      10th & Franklin
    • Burke, Patrick (MPD)
      Message 2 of 3 , May 6, 2005
        Thanks for the information Nathan. I'll have a sergeant ride up there this morning and check it out. At our next CORE meeting, I'll advise DCRA of the matter in order to check on the legitimacy of these businesses. Pending the sergeant's observations, I can also check with DDOT to see if we can get speed signs posted (as alley speeds are 15 mph). Please give me a call or contact me at the below listed e-mail when you get a chance. I'd like to get specifics about times of occurrence and days of the week so that we can target our enforcement efforts.

        Captain Patrick A. Burke
        Fifth District, MPDC
        Buckle Up, Drive Safe and Make a Difference!

        Office: 202 727-4488
        Pager: 888 523-7099
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • baringlake
        Message 3 of 3 , May 6, 2005
          I second Nathan's statements about the speeding the alley. From my
          experiences, I see the worst of it during the morning and evening
          rush. Franklin gets backed up at the light at 10th & Franklin, so
          cars cut down the alley, make a right on Evarts, and then a left on
          Reed St (the alley-like street) to get to Rhode Island Ave.
          Jen

          --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Burke, Patrick \(MPD\)"