Hot Zones

  • erheramb
    Message 1 of 10 , May 5 5:35 PM
      How can other streets become Hot Zones for a weekend or two?
      Apparently 2504 and 2520 10th St. NE are declared Hot Spots but
      nothing apparent has changed so maybe if the police declared it a
      Hot Zone for a weekend and had an active presence there it would
      help. Is there anything that neighbors can do in order to advocate
      for this?
      Erin
      10th
      --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Burke, Patrick \(MPD\)"
      <Patrick.Burke@d...> wrote:
      > Patrick, the current PSA 504 hot spot consists of the area from
      17th to 21st, Benning to M. I believe your concern is about
      the "drug free zone" on those dates. The purpose of these anti-
      loitering drug free zones is to address drug dealing and
      congregations of groups in areas where there is a propensity for
      drug dealing and crime. These zones allow us greater authority to
      restrict these types of activities from occurring in your area. If
      you'd like to learn more or if you have other questions, please give
      me a call or contact me at the e-mail address listed below.
      Thanks. PS. We share the van with other PSA's, but i've heard many
      positive comments about it's deterrent presence at 19th & Benning
      and will get it back there in the future.

      > Captain Patrick A. Burke
      > Fifth District, MPDC
      > Buckle Up, Drive Safe and Make a Difference!
      >
      > Office: 202 727-4488
      > Pager: 888 523-7099

      Benning.

      > And two questions for the Officers on the list...
      >
      > 1) Can you tell me why the area where I live is being declared
      a "hot zone" for this weekend? The area is the box between Benning,
      19th, 21st, and I Sts.

      > 2) Can you put the paddy wagon back at 19th & Benning? Since it
      left the loitering has increased.

      On Behalf Of wrhuston47@a...
      > Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 8:37 PM
      > To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
      > Cc: jennifer.greene@d...; Brian.Jordan@d...
      > Subject: Re: [MPD-5D] pot smoking teenagers at rhode island
      metro stop

      > roomforrent001 -
      >
      > thank you for raising this issue about activity in psa 502.
      now that spring is here more & more young people are smoking/selling
      pot on the street.

      > in psa 501 there are a couple of issues of concern:
      >
      > 1) groups of young men who congregate on n. capitol st.
      between t st.& randolph st., on lincoln rd. between t st. & the
      thomas community ctr., on or near the corner of 2nd st. & uhland.
      some of these fellows openly smoke pot. i think i've witnessed the
      exchange of something between some of the guys and folks who walk up
      to the groups/individuals; and
      > 2) liquor, markets, and corner stores that don't appear to
      consistently check the age/id of folks buying beer and tobacco
      products or properly display operating licenses. i'd like the ward 5
      neighborhood sves. core team to begin compliance/education sweeps of
      these businesses in psas 501 & 502. all agencies with regulatory
      responsibility for activities related to operating a business or
      owning property are part of the core team (dcra, abra, doh, otr,
      ddot, dpw etc).

      > i'd appreciate it if the psa 501 captain would respond to
      this email & let us know that officers will make effort to stop the
      brazen pot smoking. Also, i'd like to hear from the neighborhood
      sves. office if regulatory sweeps can be initiated this month.

      Time, roomforrent001@y... writes:

      > Every morning there are the same group of teenagers
      hanging out
      > between the bus stop and the metro entrance at Rhode
      Island Avenue
      > Metro. (I often wonder why they aren't EVER in
      school.) On several
      > occasions I have smelled pot smoke coming from their
      group. They also
      > ask for money most day. This morning a well-meaning
      lady stopped and
      > tried to dissuade these teenagers from 'using that
      junk'/ smoking
      > pot. Of course, the teens ignored her and I worried
      for her safety.

      > I know there is chronic underemployment; but, before
      school gets out
      > for the summer and less troubled teens join up with
      this particular
      > group of truant, seemingly unemployed, youth, is
      there anything you
      > do something to have these young men stop
      panhandling, insulting metro
      > riders, smoking pot, and giving the area a seedy
      shady character every
      > morning?
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      Terms of Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
    • Burke, Patrick (MPD)

        <Patrick.Burke@d...> wrote:
        > Patrick, the current PSA 504 hot spot consists of the area from
        17th to 21st, Benning to M. I believe your concern is about
        the "drug free zone" on those dates. The purpose of these anti-
        loitering drug free zones is to address drug dealing and
        congregations of groups in areas where there is a propensity for
        drug dealing and crime. These zones allow us greater authority to
        restrict these types of activities from occurring in your area. If
        you'd like to learn more or if you have other questions, please give
        me a call or contact me at the e-mail address listed below.
        Thanks. PS. We share the van with other PSA's, but i've heard many
        positive comments about it's deterrent presence at 19th & Benning
        and will get it back there in the future.

        > Captain Patrick A. Burke
        > Fifth District, MPDC
        > Buckle Up, Drive Safe and Make a Difference!
        >
        > Office: 202 727-4488
        > Pager: 888 523-7099

      • roomforrent001
        Message 3 of 10 , May 6 11:41 AM
          I didn't receive a response from my email BUT I did see the very
          next morning a visible metro police presence at Rhode Island Metro.

          As of this morning, instead of 15 or so teenagers there were only 5.
          And I haven't seen the teenager who I thought of as the ringleader
          since the day I wrote the email.

          Not sure who I have to thank - maybe it was a coincidence - but
          THANKS!!! A very quick response!

          (quick aside - several of the kids spit frequently almost like they
          are chewing tobacco. Is there some drug that results in this
          behavior that I'm just too old to know about? Maybe they are just
          plain gross.)

          --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "roomforrent001"
          <roomforrent001@y...> wrote:
          > Every morning there are the same group of teenagers hanging out
          > between the bus stop and the metro entrance at Rhode Island Avenue
          > Metro. (I often wonder why they aren't EVER in school.) On
          several
          > occasions I have smelled pot smoke coming from their group. They
          also
          > ask for money most day. This morning a well-meaning lady stopped
          and
          > tried to dissuade these teenagers from 'using that junk'/ smoking
          > pot. Of course, the teens ignored her and I worried for her
          safety.

          > I know there is chronic underemployment; but, before school gets
          out
          > for the summer and less troubled teens join up with this
          particular
          > group of truant, seemingly unemployeed, youth, is there anything
          you
          > do something to have these young men stop panhandling, insulting
          metro
          > riders, smoking pot, and giving the area a seedy shady character
          every
          > morning?
        • Burke, Patrick (MPD)

            <roomforrent001@y...> wrote:
            > Every morning there are the same group of teenagers hanging out
            > between the bus stop and the metro entrance at Rhode Island Avenue
            > Metro. (I often wonder why they aren't EVER in school.) On
            several
            > occasions I have smelled pot smoke coming from their group. They
            also
            > ask for money most day. This morning a well-meaning lady stopped
            and
            > tried to dissuade these teenagers from 'using that junk'/ smoking
            > pot. Of course, the teens ignored her and I worried for her
            safety.

            > I know there is chronic underemployment; but, before school gets
            out
            > for the summer and less troubled teens join up with this
            particular
            > group of truant, seemingly unemployeed, youth, is there anything
            you
            > do something to have these young men stop panhandling, insulting
            metro
            > riders, smoking pot, and giving the area a seedy shady character
            every
            > morning?

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Scott Shappell
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 19, 2005
              Several shots were heard last night between 3:30 and 4:00 am on or around
              Bates Street, NW. Was anyone hurt? Can you give us any details?

              Scott Shappell
              www.truxtoncircle.org