RE: [MPD-5D] pot smoking teenagers at rhode island metro stop

  • Burke, Patrick (MPD)
    Message 1 of 10 , May 5 3:34 PM
      Patrick, the current PSA 504 hot spot consists of the area from 17th to 21st, Benning to M. I believe your concern is about the "drug free zone" on those dates. The purpose of these anti-loitering drug free zones is to address drug dealing and congregations of groups in areas where there is a propensity for drug dealing and crime. These zones allow us greater authority to restrict these types of activities from occurring in your area. If you'd like to learn more or if you have other questions, please give me a call or contact me at the e-mail address listed below. Thanks. PS. We share the van with other PSA's, but i've heard many positive comments about it's deterrent presence at 19th & Benning and will get it back there in the future.

      Captain Patrick A. Burke
      Fifth District, MPDC
      Buckle Up, Drive Safe and Make a Difference!

      Office: 202 727-4488
      Pager: 888 523-7099
      Message 2 of 10 , May 5 5:35 PM
        How can other streets become Hot Zones for a weekend or two?
        Apparently 2504 and 2520 10th St. NE are declared Hot Spots but
        nothing apparent has changed so maybe if the police declared it a
        Hot Zone for a weekend and had an active presence there it would
        help. Is there anything that neighbors can do in order to advocate
        for this?
        Erin
        10th
        --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Burke, Patrick \(MPD\)"

        On Behalf Of wrhuston47@a...

        Time, roomforrent001@y... writes:

        > Every morning there are the same group of teenagers
        hanging out
        > between the bus stop and the metro entrance at Rhode
        Island Avenue
        > Metro. (I often wonder why they aren't EVER in
        school.) On several
        > occasions I have smelled pot smoke coming from their
        group. They also
        > ask for money most day. This morning a well-meaning
        lady stopped and
        > tried to dissuade these teenagers from 'using that
        junk'/ smoking
        > pot. Of course, the teens ignored her and I worried
        for her safety.

        > I know there is chronic underemployment; but, before
        school gets out
        > for the summer and less troubled teens join up with
        this particular
        > group of truant, seemingly unemployed, youth, is
        there anything you
        > do something to have these young men stop
        panhandling, insulting metro
        > riders, smoking pot, and giving the area a seedy
        shady character every
        > morning?
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        Terms of Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
      • Burke, Patrick (MPD)

          <Patrick.Burke@d...> wrote:
          > Patrick, the current PSA 504 hot spot consists of the area from
          17th to 21st, Benning to M. I believe your concern is about
          the "drug free zone" on those dates. The purpose of these anti-
          loitering drug free zones is to address drug dealing and
          congregations of groups in areas where there is a propensity for
          drug dealing and crime. These zones allow us greater authority to
          restrict these types of activities from occurring in your area. If
          you'd like to learn more or if you have other questions, please give
          me a call or contact me at the e-mail address listed below.
          Thanks. PS. We share the van with other PSA's, but i've heard many
          positive comments about it's deterrent presence at 19th & Benning
          and will get it back there in the future.

          > Captain Patrick A. Burke
          > Fifth District, MPDC
          > Buckle Up, Drive Safe and Make a Difference!
          >
          > Office: 202 727-4488
          > Pager: 888 523-7099

        • roomforrent001
          Message 4 of 10 , May 6 11:41 AM
            I didn't receive a response from my email BUT I did see the very
            next morning a visible metro police presence at Rhode Island Metro.

            As of this morning, instead of 15 or so teenagers there were only 5.
            And I haven't seen the teenager who I thought of as the ringleader
            since the day I wrote the email.

            Not sure who I have to thank - maybe it was a coincidence - but
            THANKS!!! A very quick response!

            (quick aside - several of the kids spit frequently almost like they
            are chewing tobacco. Is there some drug that results in this
            behavior that I'm just too old to know about? Maybe they are just
            plain gross.)

            --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "roomforrent001"
            <roomforrent001@y...> wrote:
            > Every morning there are the same group of teenagers hanging out
            > between the bus stop and the metro entrance at Rhode Island Avenue
            > Metro. (I often wonder why they aren't EVER in school.) On
            several
            > occasions I have smelled pot smoke coming from their group. They
            also
            > ask for money most day. This morning a well-meaning lady stopped
            and
            > tried to dissuade these teenagers from 'using that junk'/ smoking
            > pot. Of course, the teens ignored her and I worried for her
            safety.

            > I know there is chronic underemployment; but, before school gets
            out
            > for the summer and less troubled teens join up with this
            particular
            > group of truant, seemingly unemployeed, youth, is there anything
            you
            > do something to have these young men stop panhandling, insulting
            metro
            > riders, smoking pot, and giving the area a seedy shady character
            every
            > morning?
          • Burke, Patrick (MPD)

              <roomforrent001@y...> wrote:
              > Every morning there are the same group of teenagers hanging out
              > between the bus stop and the metro entrance at Rhode Island Avenue
              > Metro. (I often wonder why they aren't EVER in school.) On
              several
              > occasions I have smelled pot smoke coming from their group. They
              also
              > ask for money most day. This morning a well-meaning lady stopped
              and
              > tried to dissuade these teenagers from 'using that junk'/ smoking
              > pot. Of course, the teens ignored her and I worried for her
              safety.

              > I know there is chronic underemployment; but, before school gets
              out
              > for the summer and less troubled teens join up with this
              particular
              > group of truant, seemingly unemployeed, youth, is there anything
              you
              > do something to have these young men stop panhandling, insulting
              metro
              > riders, smoking pot, and giving the area a seedy shady character
              every
              > morning?

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Scott Shappell
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 19, 2005
                Several shots were heard last night between 3:30 and 4:00 am on or around
                Bates Street, NW. Was anyone hurt? Can you give us any details?

                Scott Shappell
                www.truxtoncircle.org