Re: Watch Group Behavior at Franciscan Monastery

  • christaltips
    Message 1 of 3 , May 5, 2005
      Tim:

      Did the couple identify themselves as being from either the
      neighborhood watch or the orange hats? It doesn't seem likely that
      they were from the orange hats, as there is typically a police officer
      attending these walks, and they are rarely stationary "lurks" as you
      describe here.

      I cannot speak for all orange-hatters, but I have never been told to
      stare-down or otherwise harrass anyone. On the contrary, my walking
      group has gone out of its way to be courteous and greet anyone met
      along the way. I wonder if your friend was not interrupting a
      personal moment (argument, rendevous, etc.) for the couple she
      encountered? That would certainly explain their behavior.

      I hope this helps.

      -Regina.
      13th Street.

      --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "isearched" <isearched@y...> wrote:
      > A female friend told me of a couple (male and female) with a
      > white dog kept staring at her as she left the Monastery yesterday and
      > even waited for her to get into her car. She spoke to them, but they
      > continued to watch her even as she drove her car away. This kind of
      > surveillance is uncalled for and will only deter visitors from coming
      > to the Monaster. Is this kind of surveillance being taught by the
      > Neighborhood Watch and Orange Hat Groups?
      >
      > --Tim Greene
    • isearched
      Message 2 of 3 , May 5, 2005
        Regina,

        My friend has also contacted the Monastery about this behavior. They
        say that the couple probably is NOT affiliated with a neighborhood
        watch group but may be residents who don't know how to properly
        surveil a neighborhood. They are concerned because others may have
        been treated this way, too. My friend did have flowers in her hands
        and spoke to the couple since they kept staring at her. The couple had
        a dog they were walking and were seniors. There was nothing going on
        between the couple except they were walking the dog. That is all.
        There was no reason for this "stare-down" behavior. Who is the ANC
        commissioner in this area who can perhaps identify the couple and
        speak to them about this?

        Again, the Monastery is an important area for visitors from nearby as
        well as far away. My friend is a frequent visitor to the Monastery and
        has seen that area go from one where if you ran out of gas someone
        would take you to the nearest gas station to one where you are being
        suspected of some activity just because you walk on the street. The
        police need to alert the residents to this behavior and inform them
        how to properly react.

        --Tim Greene