Shots

  • Scott Shappell
    Message 1 of 10 , May 4, 2005
      I've heard from two of my neighbors that shots were heard last night between
      9 and 9:30 in Truxton Circle. Possibly coming from around 3rd and Q, NW.
      Can you give us any details about this incident?

      Scott Shappell

    • Burke, Patrick (MPD)
      Message 2 of 10 , May 5, 2005
        Patrick, the current PSA 504 hot spot consists of the area from 17th to 21st, Benning to M. I believe your concern is about the "drug free zone" on those dates. The purpose of these anti-loitering drug free zones is to address drug dealing and congregations of groups in areas where there is a propensity for drug dealing and crime. These zones allow us greater authority to restrict these types of activities from occurring in your area. If you'd like to learn more or if you have other questions, please give me a call or contact me at the e-mail address listed below. Thanks. PS. We share the van with other PSA's, but i've heard many positive comments about it's deterrent presence at 19th & Benning and will get it back there in the future.

        Captain Patrick A. Burke
        Fifth District, MPDC
        Buckle Up, Drive Safe and Make a Difference!

        Office: 202 727-4488
        Pager: 888 523-7099
        Message 3 of 10 , May 5, 2005
          How can other streets become Hot Zones for a weekend or two?
          Apparently 2504 and 2520 10th St. NE are declared Hot Spots but
          nothing apparent has changed so maybe if the police declared it a
          Hot Zone for a weekend and had an active presence there it would
          help. Is there anything that neighbors can do in order to advocate
          for this?
          Erin
          10th
          --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Burke, Patrick \(MPD\)"

          On Behalf Of wrhuston47@a...

          Time, roomforrent001@y... writes:

          > Every morning there are the same group of teenagers
          hanging out
          > between the bus stop and the metro entrance at Rhode
          Island Avenue
          > Metro. (I often wonder why they aren't EVER in
          school.) On several
          > occasions I have smelled pot smoke coming from their
          group. They also
          > ask for money most day. This morning a well-meaning
          lady stopped and
          > tried to dissuade these teenagers from 'using that
          junk'/ smoking
          > pot. Of course, the teens ignored her and I worried
          for her safety.

          > I know there is chronic underemployment; but, before
          school gets out
          > for the summer and less troubled teens join up with
          this particular
          > group of truant, seemingly unemployed, youth, is
          there anything you
          > do something to have these young men stop
          panhandling, insulting metro
          > riders, smoking pot, and giving the area a seedy
          shady character every
          > morning?
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          Terms of Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
        • Burke, Patrick (MPD)

            <Patrick.Burke@d...> wrote:
            > Patrick, the current PSA 504 hot spot consists of the area from
            17th to 21st, Benning to M. I believe your concern is about
            the "drug free zone" on those dates. The purpose of these anti-
            loitering drug free zones is to address drug dealing and
            congregations of groups in areas where there is a propensity for
            drug dealing and crime. These zones allow us greater authority to
            restrict these types of activities from occurring in your area. If
            you'd like to learn more or if you have other questions, please give
            me a call or contact me at the e-mail address listed below.
            Thanks. PS. We share the van with other PSA's, but i've heard many
            positive comments about it's deterrent presence at 19th & Benning
            and will get it back there in the future.

            > Captain Patrick A. Burke
            > Fifth District, MPDC
            > Buckle Up, Drive Safe and Make a Difference!
            >
            > Office: 202 727-4488
            > Pager: 888 523-7099

          • roomforrent001
            Message 5 of 10 , May 6, 2005
              I didn't receive a response from my email BUT I did see the very
              next morning a visible metro police presence at Rhode Island Metro.

              As of this morning, instead of 15 or so teenagers there were only 5.
              And I haven't seen the teenager who I thought of as the ringleader
              since the day I wrote the email.

              Not sure who I have to thank - maybe it was a coincidence - but
              THANKS!!! A very quick response!

              (quick aside - several of the kids spit frequently almost like they
              are chewing tobacco. Is there some drug that results in this
              behavior that I'm just too old to know about? Maybe they are just
              plain gross.)

              --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "roomforrent001"
              <roomforrent001@y...> wrote:
              > Every morning there are the same group of teenagers hanging out
              > between the bus stop and the metro entrance at Rhode Island Avenue
              > Metro. (I often wonder why they aren't EVER in school.) On
              several
              > occasions I have smelled pot smoke coming from their group. They
              also
              > ask for money most day. This morning a well-meaning lady stopped
              and
              > tried to dissuade these teenagers from 'using that junk'/ smoking
              > pot. Of course, the teens ignored her and I worried for her
              safety.

              > I know there is chronic underemployment; but, before school gets
              out
              > for the summer and less troubled teens join up with this
              particular
              > group of truant, seemingly unemployeed, youth, is there anything
              you
              > do something to have these young men stop panhandling, insulting
              metro
              > riders, smoking pot, and giving the area a seedy shady character
              every
              > morning?
            • Burke, Patrick (MPD)

                <roomforrent001@y...> wrote:
                > Every morning there are the same group of teenagers hanging out
                > between the bus stop and the metro entrance at Rhode Island Avenue
                > Metro. (I often wonder why they aren't EVER in school.) On
                several
                > occasions I have smelled pot smoke coming from their group. They
                also
                > ask for money most day. This morning a well-meaning lady stopped
                and
                > tried to dissuade these teenagers from 'using that junk'/ smoking
                > pot. Of course, the teens ignored her and I worried for her
                safety.

                > I know there is chronic underemployment; but, before school gets
                out
                > for the summer and less troubled teens join up with this
                particular
                > group of truant, seemingly unemployeed, youth, is there anything
                you
                > do something to have these young men stop panhandling, insulting
                metro
                > riders, smoking pot, and giving the area a seedy shady character
                every
                > morning?

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • Scott Shappell
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 19, 2005
                  Several shots were heard last night between 3:30 and 4:00 am on or around
                  Bates Street, NW. Was anyone hurt? Can you give us any details?

                  Scott Shappell
                  www.truxtoncircle.org