RE: [MPD-5D] pot smoking teenagers at rhode island metro stop

  • Patrick Nelson
    Message 1 of 10 , May 3, 2005
      Over here in 504, I have some concerns about the corner at 19th & Benning.

      And two questions for the Officers on the list...

      1) Can you tell me why the area where I live is being declared a "hot zone" for this weekend? The area is the box between Benning, 19th, 21st, and I Sts.

      2) Can you put the paddy wagon back at 19th & Benning? Since it left the loitering has increased.

      Thanks,

      Patrick Nelson
      1900 block of H Street NE

      +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

      www.speedbumps.org
      www.capitolhillmassage.org
      AIM: aRodeoJock
      Yahoo: aRodeojock

      Message 2 of 10 , May 4, 2005
        I've heard from two of my neighbors that shots were heard last night between
        9 and 9:30 in Truxton Circle. Possibly coming from around 3rd and Q, NW.
        Can you give us any details about this incident?

        Scott Shappell

      • Burke, Patrick (MPD)
        Message 3 of 10 , May 5, 2005
          Patrick, the current PSA 504 hot spot consists of the area from 17th to 21st, Benning to M. I believe your concern is about the "drug free zone" on those dates. The purpose of these anti-loitering drug free zones is to address drug dealing and congregations of groups in areas where there is a propensity for drug dealing and crime. These zones allow us greater authority to restrict these types of activities from occurring in your area. If you'd like to learn more or if you have other questions, please give me a call or contact me at the e-mail address listed below. Thanks. PS. We share the van with other PSA's, but i've heard many positive comments about it's deterrent presence at 19th & Benning and will get it back there in the future.

          Captain Patrick A. Burke
          Fifth District, MPDC
          Buckle Up, Drive Safe and Make a Difference!

          Office: 202 727-4488
          Pager: 888 523-7099

          ________________________________

[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • erheramb
          Message 4 of 10 , May 5, 2005
            How can other streets become Hot Zones for a weekend or two?
            Apparently 2504 and 2520 10th St. NE are declared Hot Spots but
            nothing apparent has changed so maybe if the police declared it a
            Hot Zone for a weekend and had an active presence there it would
            help. Is there anything that neighbors can do in order to advocate
            for this?
            Erin
            10th
            --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Burke, Patrick \(MPD\)"

            On Behalf Of wrhuston47@a...

            Time, roomforrent001@y... writes:

            > Every morning there are the same group of teenagers
            hanging out
            > between the bus stop and the metro entrance at Rhode
            Island Avenue
            > Metro. (I often wonder why they aren't EVER in
            school.) On several
            > occasions I have smelled pot smoke coming from their
            group. They also
            > ask for money most day. This morning a well-meaning
            lady stopped and
            > tried to dissuade these teenagers from 'using that
            junk'/ smoking
            > pot. Of course, the teens ignored her and I worried
            for her safety.

            > I know there is chronic underemployment; but, before
            school gets out
            > for the summer and less troubled teens join up with
            this particular
            > group of truant, seemingly unemployed, youth, is
            there anything you
            > do something to have these young men stop
            panhandling, insulting metro
            > riders, smoking pot, and giving the area a seedy
            shady character every
            > morning?
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            Terms of Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
          • Burke, Patrick (MPD)

              <Patrick.Burke@d...> wrote:
              > Patrick, the current PSA 504 hot spot consists of the area from
              17th to 21st, Benning to M. I believe your concern is about
              the "drug free zone" on those dates. The purpose of these anti-
              loitering drug free zones is to address drug dealing and
              congregations of groups in areas where there is a propensity for
              drug dealing and crime. These zones allow us greater authority to
              restrict these types of activities from occurring in your area. If
              you'd like to learn more or if you have other questions, please give
              me a call or contact me at the e-mail address listed below.
              Thanks. PS. We share the van with other PSA's, but i've heard many
              positive comments about it's deterrent presence at 19th & Benning
              and will get it back there in the future.

              > Captain Patrick A. Burke
              > Fifth District, MPDC
              > Buckle Up, Drive Safe and Make a Difference!
              >
              > Office: 202 727-4488
              > Pager: 888 523-7099

            • roomforrent001
              Message 6 of 10 , May 6, 2005
                I didn't receive a response from my email BUT I did see the very
                next morning a visible metro police presence at Rhode Island Metro.

                As of this morning, instead of 15 or so teenagers there were only 5.
                And I haven't seen the teenager who I thought of as the ringleader
                since the day I wrote the email.

                Not sure who I have to thank - maybe it was a coincidence - but
                THANKS!!! A very quick response!

                (quick aside - several of the kids spit frequently almost like they
                are chewing tobacco. Is there some drug that results in this
                behavior that I'm just too old to know about? Maybe they are just
                plain gross.)

                --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "roomforrent001"
                <roomforrent001@y...> wrote:
                > Every morning there are the same group of teenagers hanging out
                > between the bus stop and the metro entrance at Rhode Island Avenue
                > Metro. (I often wonder why they aren't EVER in school.) On
                several
                > occasions I have smelled pot smoke coming from their group. They
                also
                > ask for money most day. This morning a well-meaning lady stopped
                and
                > tried to dissuade these teenagers from 'using that junk'/ smoking
                > pot. Of course, the teens ignored her and I worried for her
                safety.

                > I know there is chronic underemployment; but, before school gets
                out
                > for the summer and less troubled teens join up with this
                particular
                > group of truant, seemingly unemployeed, youth, is there anything
                you
                > do something to have these young men stop panhandling, insulting
                metro
                > riders, smoking pot, and giving the area a seedy shady character
                every
                > morning?
              • Burke, Patrick (MPD)

                  <roomforrent001@y...> wrote:
                  > Every morning there are the same group of teenagers hanging out
                  > between the bus stop and the metro entrance at Rhode Island Avenue
                  > Metro. (I often wonder why they aren't EVER in school.) On
                  several
                  > occasions I have smelled pot smoke coming from their group. They
                  also
                  > ask for money most day. This morning a well-meaning lady stopped
                  and
                  > tried to dissuade these teenagers from 'using that junk'/ smoking
                  > pot. Of course, the teens ignored her and I worried for her
                  safety.

                  > I know there is chronic underemployment; but, before school gets
                  out
                  > for the summer and less troubled teens join up with this
                  particular
                  > group of truant, seemingly unemployeed, youth, is there anything
                  you
                  > do something to have these young men stop panhandling, insulting
                  metro
                  > riders, smoking pot, and giving the area a seedy shady character
                  every
                  > morning?

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Scott Shappell
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 19, 2005
                    Several shots were heard last night between 3:30 and 4:00 am on or around
                    Bates Street, NW. Was anyone hurt? Can you give us any details?

                    Scott Shappell
                    www.truxtoncircle.org