police officer was shot at 1320 hours today

  • Groomes, Diane (MPD)
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 15, 2008

      Citizens… I just want to give you a brief summary of what occurred today in the 700 blk of Irving St, NE… the Capital Regional Task Force (MPD and US Marshall Service) were out on patrol to go serve warrants in the Fifth District… as they were along the 7th ST Corridor they recognized a suspect with a warrant and thus followed him into the 700 blk of Irving St and the MPD member exited his vehicle and approached the suspect…at which time without any notice or word exchange..the suspect turned and opened fire on the officers approaching him, striking the MPD officer in the face….. the suspect then fled on foot as the officers summoned assistance.. the officer was taken to the hospital where he suffered a gunshot graze wound to the center of his face…..

      Thus we cordoned off the area for an extensive search and made an apprehension in the 600 blk of Hamlin on the warrant case… this subject has not been officially charged in the shooting as of this writing pending further investigative steps …..

      Thanks to all the responding officers from MPD, Catholic University PD, Metro Transit PD and the US Marshalls…. And to the citizens who were very supportive to our Department during this time…….

      DIANE C GROOMES

      Assistant Chief of Police

      801 Shepherd St NW, 20011

      202 576-6660 office

      202-996-3386 pager

      diane.groomes@...

    • brian.ions
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 16, 2008
        In turn, I'm sure all Brooklanders wish to thank MPD, CUA's Dept. of
        Public Safety, Metro Transit Police and the U.S. Marshalls Service, as
        well. As bad as the shooting was, it obviously could've easily been so
        much worse.

        Don and I join with others in extending our special thanks to the MPD
        officer who was shot, and to his family and his loved ones for the
        harrowing experience they've been through-- and we share in their
        thanksgiving for his relatively safe outcome. We appreciate his service
        and sacrifice-- and that of all his brother and sister officers at MPD.

        Whatever citizens' legitimate policy differences and worthwhile
        criticisms of MPD may be, District residents should never lose sight of
        the fact that the great bulk of MPD's "personnel pyramid" is made up of
        dedicated, hard-working and well-trained professionals. They go to work
        every day, 24/365, often with odd schedules, and often placing
        themselves in harm's way, on a moment's notice, to keep us safe from
        violent criminals. We should honor their dedication and sacrifice-- and
        that of their families and loved ones. Thank you, all.

        brian
        on Newton/ 502

        --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Groomes, Diane \(MPD\)"
        <diane.groomes@...> wrote:

        > Citizens... I just want to give you a brief summary of what occurred
        > today in the 700 blk of Irving St, NE... the Capital Regional Task
        Force
        > (MPD and US Marshall Service) were out on patrol to go serve warrants
        in
        > the Fifth District... as they were along the 7th ST Corridor they
        > recognized a suspect with a warrant and thus followed him into the 700
        > blk of Irving St and the MPD member exited his vehicle and approached
        > the suspect...at which time without any notice or word exchange..the
        > suspect turned and opened fire on the officers approaching him,
        striking
        > the MPD officer in the face..... the suspect then fled on foot as the
        > officers summoned assistance.. the officer was taken to the hospital
        > where he suffered a gunshot graze wound to the center of his face.....
        >

        > Thus we cordoned off the area for an extensive search and made an
        > apprehension in the 600 blk of Hamlin on the warrant case... this
        > subject has not been officially charged in the shooting as of this
        > writing pending further investigative steps .....
        >

        > Thanks to all the responding officers from MPD, Catholic University
        PD,
        > Metro Transit PD and the US Marshalls.... And to the citizens who were
        > very supportive to our Department during this time.......
        >

        > DIANE C GROOMES
        >
        > Assistant Chief of Police
        >
        > Patrol Services and School Security Bureau
        >
        > Metropolitan Police Department
        >
        > 801 Shepherd St NW, 20011
        >
        > 202 576-6660 office
        >
        > 202-996-3386 pager
        >
        > diane.groomes@...

      • Groomes, Diane (MPD)
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 16, 2008

          Thank you for your words and I am going to share this with the MPD officers…

          DIANE C GROOMES

          Assistant Chief of Police

          801 Shepherd St NW, 20011

          202 576-6660 office

          202-996-3386 pager

          diane.groomes@...

          <diane.groomes@ ...> wrote:

          > Citizens... I just want to give you a brief summary of what occurred
          > today in the 700 blk of Irving
          St, NE. .. the Capital Regional Task
          Force
          > (MPD and US Marshall Service) were out on patrol to go serve warrants
          in
          > the Fifth District... as they were along the
          w:st="on">7th ST Corridor they
          > recognized a suspect with a warrant and thus followed him into the 700
          > blk of Irving St
          and the MPD member exited his vehicle and approached
          > the suspect...at which time without any notice or word exchange..the
          > suspect turned and opened fire on the officers approaching him,
          striking
          > the MPD officer in the face..... the suspect then fled on foot as the
          > officers summoned assistance.. the officer was taken to the hospital
          > where he suffered a gunshot graze wound to the center of his face.....
          >

          > Thus we cordoned off the area for an extensive search and made an
          > apprehension in the 600 blk of Hamlin on the warrant case... this
          > subject has not been officially charged in the shooting as of this
          > writing pending further investigative steps .....
          >

          > Thanks to all the responding officers from MPD,
          w:st="on">Catholic University
          PD,
          > Metro Transit PD and the US
          Marshalls... . And to the citizens who were
          > very supportive to our Department during this time.......
          >

          > DIANE C GROOMES
          >
          > Assistant Chief of Police
          >
          > Patrol Services and School Security Bureau
          >
          > Metropolitan Police Department
          >
          > 801 Shepherd St NW ,
          20011