pot smoking teenagers at rhode island metro stop

  • roomforrent001
    Message 1 of 10 , May 3, 2005
      Every morning there are the same group of teenagers hanging out
      between the bus stop and the metro entrance at Rhode Island Avenue
      Metro. (I often wonder why they aren't EVER in school.) On several
      occasions I have smelled pot smoke coming from their group. They also
      ask for money most day. This morning a well-meaning lady stopped and
      tried to dissuade these teenagers from 'using that junk'/ smoking
      pot. Of course, the teens ignored her and I worried for her safety.

      I know there is chronic underemployment; but, before school gets out
      for the summer and less troubled teens join up with this particular
      group of truant, seemingly unemployeed, youth, is there anything you
      do something to have these young men stop panhandling, insulting metro
      riders, smoking pot, and giving the area a seedy shady character every
      morning?
    • wrhuston47@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , May 3, 2005
        roomforrent001 -

        thank you for raising this issue about activity in psa 502. now that spring is here more & more young people are smoking/selling pot on the street.

        in psa 501 there are a couple of issues of concern:

        1) groups of young men who congregate on n. capitol st. between t st.& randolph st., on lincoln rd. between t st. & the thomas community ctr., on or near the corner of 2nd st. & uhland.  some of these fellows openly smoke pot. i think i've witnessed the exchange of something between some of the guys and folks who walk up to the groups/individuals; and
        2) liquor, markets, and corner stores that don't appear to consistently check the age/id of folks buying beer and tobacco products or properly display operating licenses. i'd like the ward 5 neighborhood sves. core team to begin compliance/education sweeps of these businesses in psas 501 & 502. all agencies with regulatory responsibility for activities related to operating a business or owning property are part of the core team (dcra, abra, doh, otr, ddot, dpw etc).

        i'd appreciate it if the psa 501 captain would respond to this email & let us know that officers will make effort to stop the brazen pot smoking. Also, i'd like to hear from the neighborhood sves. office if regulatory sweeps can be initiated this month.

        thanks.

        In a message dated 5/3/2005 4:36:43 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, roomforrent001@... writes:
        Every morning there are the same group of teenagers hanging out
        between the bus stop and the metro entrance at Rhode Island Avenue
        Metro. (I often wonder why they aren't EVER in school.)  On several
        occasions I have smelled pot smoke coming from their group.  They also
        ask for money most day.  This morning a well-meaning lady stopped and
        tried to dissuade these teenagers from 'using that junk'/ smoking
        pot.  Of course, the teens ignored her and I worried for her safety.

        I know there is chronic underemployment; but, before school gets out
        for the summer and less troubled teens join up with this particular
        group of truant, seemingly unemployed, youth, is there anything you
        do something to have these young men stop panhandling, insulting metro
        riders, smoking pot, and giving the area a seedy shady character every
        morning?

        DonorsChoose. A simple way to provide underprivileged children resources
        often lacking in public schools. Fund a student project in NYC/NC today!
        Click Here!

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Patrick Nelson
        Message 3 of 10 , May 3, 2005
          Over here in 504, I have some concerns about the corner at 19th & Benning.

          And two questions for the Officers on the list...

          1) Can you tell me why the area where I live is being declared a "hot zone" for this weekend? The area is the box between Benning, 19th, 21st, and I Sts.

          2) Can you put the paddy wagon back at 19th & Benning? Since it left the loitering has increased.

          Thanks,

          Patrick Nelson
          1900 block of H Street NE

          +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

          www.speedbumps.org
          www.capitolhillmassage.org
          AIM: aRodeoJock
          Yahoo: aRodeojock

          Message 4 of 10 , May 4, 2005
            I've heard from two of my neighbors that shots were heard last night between
            9 and 9:30 in Truxton Circle. Possibly coming from around 3rd and Q, NW.
            Can you give us any details about this incident?

            Scott Shappell

          • Burke, Patrick (MPD)
            Message 5 of 10 , May 5, 2005
              Patrick, the current PSA 504 hot spot consists of the area from 17th to 21st, Benning to M. I believe your concern is about the "drug free zone" on those dates. The purpose of these anti-loitering drug free zones is to address drug dealing and congregations of groups in areas where there is a propensity for drug dealing and crime. These zones allow us greater authority to restrict these types of activities from occurring in your area. If you'd like to learn more or if you have other questions, please give me a call or contact me at the e-mail address listed below. Thanks. PS. We share the van with other PSA's, but i've heard many positive comments about it's deterrent presence at 19th & Benning and will get it back there in the future.

              Captain Patrick A. Burke
              Fifth District, MPDC
              Buckle Up, Drive Safe and Make a Difference!

              Office: 202 727-4488
              Pager: 888 523-7099

              ________________________________

[...]

              Yahoo! Groups Links

            • erheramb
              Message 6 of 10 , May 5, 2005
                How can other streets become Hot Zones for a weekend or two?
                Apparently 2504 and 2520 10th St. NE are declared Hot Spots but
                nothing apparent has changed so maybe if the police declared it a
                Hot Zone for a weekend and had an active presence there it would
                help. Is there anything that neighbors can do in order to advocate
                for this?
                Erin
                10th
                --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Burke, Patrick \(MPD\)"

                On Behalf Of wrhuston47@a...

                Time, roomforrent001@y... writes:

                > Every morning there are the same group of teenagers
                hanging out
                > between the bus stop and the metro entrance at Rhode
                Island Avenue
                > Metro. (I often wonder why they aren't EVER in
                school.) On several
                > occasions I have smelled pot smoke coming from their
                group. They also
                > ask for money most day. This morning a well-meaning
                lady stopped and
                > tried to dissuade these teenagers from 'using that
                junk'/ smoking
                > pot. Of course, the teens ignored her and I worried
                for her safety.

                > I know there is chronic underemployment; but, before
                school gets out
                > for the summer and less troubled teens join up with
                this particular
                > group of truant, seemingly unemployed, youth, is
                there anything you
                > do something to have these young men stop
                panhandling, insulting metro
                > riders, smoking pot, and giving the area a seedy
                shady character every
                > morning?
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                Terms of Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
              • Burke, Patrick (MPD)

                  Message 8 of 10 , May 6, 2005
                    I didn't receive a response from my email BUT I did see the very
                    next morning a visible metro police presence at Rhode Island Metro.

                    As of this morning, instead of 15 or so teenagers there were only 5.
                    And I haven't seen the teenager who I thought of as the ringleader
                    since the day I wrote the email.

                    Not sure who I have to thank - maybe it was a coincidence - but
                    THANKS!!! A very quick response!

                    (quick aside - several of the kids spit frequently almost like they
                    are chewing tobacco. Is there some drug that results in this
                    behavior that I'm just too old to know about? Maybe they are just
                    plain gross.)

                    --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "roomforrent001"
                    <roomforrent001@y...> wrote:
                    > Every morning there are the same group of teenagers hanging out
                    > between the bus stop and the metro entrance at Rhode Island Avenue
                    > Metro. (I often wonder why they aren't EVER in school.) On
                    several
                    > occasions I have smelled pot smoke coming from their group. They
                    also
                    > ask for money most day. This morning a well-meaning lady stopped
                    and
                    > tried to dissuade these teenagers from 'using that junk'/ smoking
                    > pot. Of course, the teens ignored her and I worried for her
                    safety.

                    > I know there is chronic underemployment; but, before school gets
                    out
                    > for the summer and less troubled teens join up with this
                    particular
                    > group of truant, seemingly unemployeed, youth, is there anything
                    you
                    > do something to have these young men stop panhandling, insulting
                    metro
                    > riders, smoking pot, and giving the area a seedy shady character
                    every
                    > morning?
                  • Burke, Patrick (MPD)

                      <roomforrent001@y...> wrote:
                      > Every morning there are the same group of teenagers hanging out
                      > between the bus stop and the metro entrance at Rhode Island Avenue
                      > Metro. (I often wonder why they aren't EVER in school.) On
                      several
                      > occasions I have smelled pot smoke coming from their group. They
                      also
                      > ask for money most day. This morning a well-meaning lady stopped
                      and
                      > tried to dissuade these teenagers from 'using that junk'/ smoking
                      > pot. Of course, the teens ignored her and I worried for her
                      safety.

                      > I know there is chronic underemployment; but, before school gets
                      out
                      > for the summer and less troubled teens join up with this
                      particular
                      > group of truant, seemingly unemployeed, youth, is there anything
                      you
                      > do something to have these young men stop panhandling, insulting
                      metro
                      > riders, smoking pot, and giving the area a seedy shady character
                      every
                      > morning?

                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                    • Scott Shappell
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 19, 2005
                        Several shots were heard last night between 3:30 and 4:00 am on or around
                        Bates Street, NW. Was anyone hurt? Can you give us any details?

                        Scott Shappell
                        www.truxtoncircle.org