odd happening at RI Metro

  • k_fw
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2008
      Around 5:30 Monday night, I was surprised to see a police officer
      "escorting" a VERY drunk man down the pedestrian path, away from the
      police car.

      I so very rarely see MPD there, usually Metro police patrol, so I kept
      watch. I saw the officer holding the man up by his sweatshirt and
      taking him to a case of Budweiser that was sitting on a concrete tree box.

      Of course I assumed the officer was going to take the beer or confirm
      ownership and then arrest him for drinking in public. Instead, he sat
      the man down, kindly patted his shoulder, and walked away while the
      man attempted to sit upright despite his drunken state.

      Huh? In theory I don't mind drunken people being reunited with their
      beer, but in reality I admit I was a little annoyed. My neighborhood
      frequently battles public drunkenness, urination, and lots and lots of
      litter, but does MPD have to condone the behavior?

      Metro rider and Brookland resident,
      Kristen