police cars idling

  • k_fw
    Message 1 of 2 , May 3, 2005
      I was hoping someone could explain why police cars are usually kept
      idling, instead of properly parked, when officers are outside the car.

      Usually, the officer assigned to esorting children to Noyes Elementary
      are outside the car, but their cars are still on. Given the cost of
      fuel and the amount of carbon monoxide released, it seems turning off
      the cars would be a big help to DC residents all around (not to mention
      the children breathing in all that exhaust!).

      Thanks for your insight,
      Kristen
    • Burke, Patrick (MPD)
      Message 2 of 2 , May 3, 2005
        I'm assuming this is an officer working on a school crossing. I'll have the Sergeant's bring it up at roll call.

        Captain Patrick A. Burke
        Fifth District, MPDC
        Buckle Up, Drive Safe and Make a Difference!

        Office: 202 727-4488
        Pager: 888 523-7099