Re: pedestrians in crosswalks

  • brian.ions
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 9, 2008
      A very good point. About a month ago, MPD officers were positioned at
      diagonal points (NW&SE) corners of 12th and Newton-- a location where
      another tragic pedestrian injury or a fatality is just waiting to
      happen. While I'm certain neighbors appreciate an allocation of MPD
      resources to remind motorists on 12th of their responsibilities to
      pedestrians in crosswalks, it's really just a temporary band aid.

      The pedestrian traffic crossing 12th (E/W) to and from the Metro, as
      well as to and from CVS is enormous and frequent. With no light between
      Monroe and Michigan, regular driving commuters very often speed in both
      directions. I've seen N-bound drivers "gun it" from Monroe, apparently
      in anticipation that they have a 6-block stretch of "open road" to
      Michigan. Similarly, S-bound, S. of Otis, I've seen, cars, trucks, even
      school and Metro buses doing 50 plus bearing down on me and other
      pedestrians in that crosswalk. This is common behavior, even outside of
      rush hours.

      Truth is, there ought to be at least a flashing yellow at Newton, and
      maybe one at Perry, too.

      MPD and local broadcast and other media outlets should also team up to
      put lots of PSA's out their regarding pedestrian ROW's in crosswalks.
      Perhaps the Chief could appear with the families of loved ones lost...
      especially children, just to make more personal to motorists the tragic
      consequences of failing to recognize what a deadly machine their
      personal transportation can be.

      There is no equivalence when 2,000 pounds+ of carelessly driven steel
      and other metal hits flesh and bone.

      brian
      on newton/ 502

      --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, arodeojock@... wrote:

      > This issue seems to be much more than just individual crosswalks. Is
      there any push from MPD or other areas to encourage the DC Government to
      do a media blitz about stopping for pedestrians and what the laws are
      regarding crosswalks and jay-walking?

    • kimberly Niono
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 9, 2008
        I would like to have a police checkpoint at Florida Avenue, between First and North Capitol NW.

        "brian.ions" <brian.ions@...> wrote:
        A very good point. About a month ago, MPD officers were positioned at
        diagonal points (NW&SE) corners of 12th and Newton-- a location where
        another tragic pedestrian injury or a fatality is just waiting to
        happen. While I'm certain neighbors appreciate an allocation of MPD
        resources to remind motorists on 12th of their responsibilities to
        pedestrians in crosswalks, it's really just a temporary band aid.

        The pedestrian traffic crossing 12th (E/W) to and from the Metro, as
        well as to and from CVS is enormous and frequent. With no light between
        Monroe and Michigan, regular driving commuters very often speed in both
        directions. I've seen N-bound drivers "gun it" from Monroe, apparently
        in anticipation that they have a 6-block stretch of "open road" to
        Michigan. Similarly, S-bound, S. of Otis, I've seen, cars, trucks, even
        school and Metro buses doing 50 plus bearing down on me and other
        pedestrians in that crosswalk. This is common behavior, even outside of
        rush hours.

        Truth is, there ought to be at least a flashing yellow at Newton, and
        maybe one at Perry, too.

        MPD and local broadcast and other media outlets should also team up to
        put lots of PSA's out their regarding pedestrian ROW's in crosswalks.
        Perhaps the Chief could appear with the families of loved ones lost...
        especially children, just to make more personal to motorists the tragic
        consequences of failing to recognize what a deadly machine their
        personal transportation can be.

        There is no equivalence when 2,000 pounds+ of carelessly driven steel
        and other metal hits flesh and bone.

        brian
        on newton/ 502

        --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups. com, arodeojock@. .. wrote:

        > This issue seems to be much more than just individual crosswalks. Is
        there any push from MPD or other areas to encourage the DC Government to
        do a media blitz about stopping for pedestrians and what the laws are
        regarding crosswalks and jay-walking?

      • bluecatsapphire
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 9, 2008
          Commander Greene,

          There was a meeting with our ANC Commissioner Chandler , Police and
          Mayor's office in December regarding the crosswalks and stop sign
          near the Brentwood DMV.

          At the meeting, it was suggested to have a police car with a police
          officer in it to monitor the speeding of drivers on Brentwood and
          give tickets if necessary. Many of the residents on 13th street and
          Bryant street cannot go out in traffic safety due to the unncessary
          speeding. This take place especially during the morning rush hour.

          The officer at the December meeting said she was going to request
          this from you. I have not seen a police car yet in the mornings.

          Is this possible? Thanks

          --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Greene, Lamar \(MPD\)"
          <lamar.greene@...> wrote:

          > the fifth District in partnership with the Mayor's office and the
          community are attempting to have an additional stop sign and two
          cross walks placed at the entrance to the DMV. The stop sign should
          eliminate the uncontrolled crossing on Brentwood Road. This has been
          a work in progress for the last six weeks, we will get an update on
          the progress for the community!!

          > Lamar D. Greene
          > Commander
          > Fifth District
          >

          > ________________________________

          some traffic enforement at this crosswalk, then we can work on
          getting a sign posted stating you must stop when pedestrains are
          present. This is a start then you should go to your PSA meetings and
          work with the lieutenant on making this area safe for all.

          > Lieutenant Corinne Hughes
          > PSA 503

          near the Home Depot. Even as pedestrians are in the middle of the
          crosswalk, cars from the other direction don't stop. If you have any
          suggestions on how to improve the situation, the residents who use
          that crosswalk would appreciate it. There does not appear to be any
          difference in pedestrian safety before and after the crosswalk was
          installed because cars refuse to stop - is there anyway to get speed
          bumps placed around the cross walk?

          > cninney@... wrote:
          >
          > Once you are in the crosswalk, where there is no
          signal light you have the right of way, however if you are not in the
          crosswalk vehicles have the right of way until it is clear and safe
          for you to cross, and once you enter the cross walk to cross you have
          the right of way.
          > Lt. Hughes
          > PSA 503

          who has the right of way at crosswalks where there is no traffic
          light. Constantly I feel like I am putting my children and myself at
          risk trying to cross 12th and Newton NE. which is a 2 way
          intersection where 12 st has the right of way. There is a lot of foot
          traffic at this intersection for metro access and at night Mon thru
          Thurs with the nearby Taekwondo school.
          > Last night at 7:30 trying over 12th (from W to E) at
          Newton my 9 yr old would have been hit if I did not pull her back. We
          were on the SW corner waiting to cross. Traffic coming from the
          north stop to allow us and others to cross. Looking to the south
          vthe lane was clear at the time because traffic from that direction
          was stopped waiting for a car to parallel park, so we proceded to
          cross. By the time we reached half way, the car waiting for the car
          to park went around it and zoomed through the intersection taking no
          notice of us in the crosswalk. Then 4 cars speed by after the 1st.
          > This all happened as a police officer sat in squad
          car 534 at the NW facing N and did nothing. This happens constantly
          and the sad thing is sometimes it is police cars that we wait for to
          pass as we sit in mid crosswalk.
          > Vicki Langford
          >

          > ________________________________
          >
          > Share life as it happens with the new Windows Live.
          Start sharing! <http://www.windowslive.com/share.html?
          ocid=TXT_TAGHM_Wave2_sharelife_012008>

          > ________________________________
          >
          > More new features than ever. Check out the new AIM(R)
          Mail <http://o.aolcdn.com/cdn.webmail.aol.com/mailtour/aol/en-
          us/text.htm?ncid=aimcmp00050000000001> !

          > ________________________________

          Mobile. Try it now.
          <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51733/*http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06
          i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ>

          > ________________________________

          Try it now.
          <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51733/*http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06
          i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ>

        • Greene, Lamar (MPD)
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 10, 2008
            RE: [MPD-5D] Re: pedestrians in crosswalks

            I will assign an officer to do enforcement

            --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com <mailto:MPD-5D%40yahoogroups.com> , "Greene, Lamar \(MPD\)"
            <lamar.greene@...> wrote:

            > the fifth District in partnership with the Mayor's office and the
            community are attempting to have an additional stop sign and two
            cross walks placed at the entrance to the DMV. The stop sign should
            eliminate the uncontrolled crossing on Brentwood Road. This has been
            a work in progress for the last six weeks, we will get an update on
            the progress for the community!!

            > Lamar D. Greene
            > Commander
            > Fifth District
            >

            > ________________________________

            Mobile. Try it now.
            <
            http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51733/*http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06 >
            i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ>

            > ________________________________

            Try it now.
            <

            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 11, 2008
              This will be wonderful! We will be looking for the police officer.

              <lamar.greene@...> wrote:

              > I will assign an officer to do enforcement
              >
              > Sent from my GoodLink synchronized handheld (www.good.com)

              Mobile.
              > Try it now.

              <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51733/*http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06

              <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51733/*http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06

              > i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ>

            • bluecatsapphire
              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 16, 2008
                -Thank you Commander Greene, this morning, I saw a police officer on
                duty and he was stopping traffic to allow people to cross the street
                and to allow people to come onto Brentwood road. Thanks again,

                Please continue.

                <lamar.greene@...> wrote:

                > I will assign an officer to do enforcement
                >
                > Sent from my GoodLink synchronized handheld (www.good.com)

                Mobile.
                > Try it now.

                <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51733/*http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06

                <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51733/*http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06

                > i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ>

              • Greene, Lamar (MPD)
                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 16, 2008

                  Excellent, I am glad our directives are being followed!!

                  <lamar.greene@ ...> wrote:

                  > I will assign an officer to do enforcement
                  >
                  > Sent from my GoodLink synchronized handheld (www.good.com)

                  w:st="on">Brentwood Road . This has
                  been
                  > a work in progress for the last six weeks, we will get an update on
                  > the progress for the community!!
                  > >
                  > > Lamar D. Greene
                  > > Commander
                  > > Fifth District
                  > >

                  > > ____________ _________ _________ __

                  Mobile .
                  > Try it now.

                  <http://us.rd. yahoo.com/ evt=51733/ *http://mobile. yahoo.com/ ;_ylt=Ahu06

                  <http://us.rd. yahoo.com/ evt=51733/ *http://mobile. yahoo.com/ ;_ylt=Ahu06

                  > i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9 tAcJ>

                • kimberly Niono
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 16, 2008
                    Now if we can only see a few on Florida Avenue, between First and North Capitol, we will be eternally greatful!!!

                    <lamar.greene@ ...> wrote:

                    > I will assign an officer to do enforcement
                    >
                    > Sent from my GoodLink synchronized handheld (www.good.com)

                    Mobile .