FW: [MPD-1D] Re: Illegal Parking, Ticketing, Failure to Register Vehicles, No Real Enforcement - requirement for new legislation

  • Groomes, Diane (MPD)
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 30, 2007
      there have been numerous inquiries about parking in 6d, 5d, 1d.. sending below info to you

      DPW is also the agency that is the lead on parking and ticket issuance in the city
      MPD has the authority to issue tickets but is not the lead agency in parking matters

      Mr Nelson.. the car on 19th ST ..if it is properly registered with current tags there is no 72 hour rule anymore in the city....however they are subject to ticketing if violating street cleaning, residential zone, no parking anytime (or within 25 feet of intersection)

      Cars also will be ticketed and/or towed if they are a public safety hazard - used for drug stashing, missing tires or doors, etc...

      From: "Jennifer Flather" <jennifer.flather@ verizon.net>
[...]

      2d.

      Re: Theft By trick

      Posted by: "Christopher Metzler" christopher_ a_metzler@ yahoo.com   christopher_ a_metzler

      Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:17 am (PST)

      While avoiding the overall tangent this is going down
      because it doesn't seem relevant to the mailing list,
      I wanted to comment on these parts, because they do
      seem relevant. I apologize in advance if the point
      I want to make here is obvious to you.

      --- johnsigmon@comcast. net wrote:

      > While I don't disagree with your contention, I also
      > see the ever increasing daily litany of crimes
      > commited agounst innocent people simply trying to
      > walk from one place to the other.

      (snip)

      > While I applaud the MPD for all of their hard work
      > and efforts, a quick review of the crime reports
      > indicate empirically, that our streets are simply
      > not that safe.

      Your use of the word "empirically" is a bit of an
      overstatement, in my opinion. Yes, we have access to
      crime statistics, and we can use those crime
      statistics
      to compare the crime rate to other places, and many
      (most?) similar places in the U.S. have less crime.
      But whether that means "our streets are simply not
      that safe" is a subjective decision that each of
      us must make for him/herself; it's not something
      that someone can prove to be objectively true using
      those crime stats.

      According to MPD, there have been 51
      robberies/muggings
      within 1500 feet of my house in the last 12 months.
      Does that mean the streets nearby are unsafe? Well,
      that's about one mugging a week; how many times,
      collectively, do all the people in that area go
      outside
      over a week's time? Probably thousands of times.
      It's
      unlikely I'm going to be mugged, even over a very long
      time period.

      Please don't misunderstand -- I'm not saying that
      you're wrong and our streets are safe. Not at all.
      Someone coming here from Carmel by the Sea may think
      find the robbery rate here insane. But OTOH, someone
      from a bad neighborhood in Madrid (Spain, of all
      places, has the highest per-capita robbery rate in the
      UN's crime stats) or Santiago or Cape Town may think
      "that's about 200 per sq. mile per year -- that's not
      bad at all." I'm simply saying that there's no such
      thing as "safe" vs. "non-safe" -- it's not an on/off
      thing. Instead, there are levels of risk, and what
      those levels of risk mean is a personal decision
      that we all have to make for ourselves. It's
      important for all of us to know what that risk is, in
      empirical terms; but beyond that, we each have to
      compare that risk to our own personal yardstick to
      decide how safe we feel, and different people are
      going to come to different conclusions, and they're
      not necessarily wrong for doing so.

      -c

      http://www.yahoo. com/r/hs

      3a.

      Re: Maryland Ave and 7th Steeet NE

      Posted by: "Hawkins, Barbara (MPD)" Barbaram.Hawkins@ dc.gov

      Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:54 am (PST)

      Hello Ms. Marks:

      Happy Holidays to you and yours. I'm PSA 102 Lt Hawkins and I'm responsible for the officers that patrol at 7th & Maryland Ave N.W. Maryland Ave N.E. has a foot patrol officer that patrols the area. I will ensure that he is updated with your concerns; as well as all the 102 officers to give this matter special attention.

      You are most welcome and invited to PSA 102's Community meeting held the second Tuesday each month at 7pm at the Sherwood Rec Ctr 10th & G St .N.W. At this meeting, the crime stat's are discussed and the recent trends of crime and arrest are discussed and you could meet some of the officers face to face.

      Please take time to contact me on 202-698-0380 during the day hours and I hope to see you at the next PSA meeting.

      thanks

      Lt. Barbara Hawkins
      First District - PSA 102
      202-698-0380