incident on 1st St NW in Bloomingdale

  • scott@scott-roberts.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 10, 2007
      This is Scott Roberts of Bloomingdale in PSA 501.

      I received the following Email below from a Bloomingdale resident, which I am posting here on the MPD 5D list:

      On Saturday night, around 10 pm, my husband and I were driving home (going north) along 1st St. NW.  On the corner of 1st and U or V was a large group of youth, hanging out and generally looking like they were up to no good. Out of (seemingly) nowhere, a 15-18 yr old male comes running into the intersection that we were proceeding through and stops directly in front of our car (in the middle of the road at this point), pulls his hands inside his jacket (as if he had a gun), and starts screaming at our car while running toward it-- likely this was a dare or some way of getting some attention of the group of other young people on the corner.  I thought we were going to be carjacked or held up, only 2 blocks from our house.

      In a moment of panic, my husband floored it, causing the young man to jump out of the way. As we drove past, he hit the side of our car with a jacket or something. We made it home but as we peeled away from him, we noticed him doing the same thing to the car directly behind us.

      We called 311 and they said they had received a similar complaint, and were sending a car over. (Although in my experience 311 NEVER sends a car when I call to report activity).

      Just wanted to share in case others had similar issues, though I don't necessarily recommend our particular course of action.
    • Mac Chatham
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 10, 2007
        I would think a possible car-jacking in progress
        should a constitute a 911 call, not 311.

        --- scott@... wrote:

        > This is Scott Roberts of Bloomingdale in PSA 501.
        >
        > I received the following Email below from a
        > Bloomingdale resident, which I am posting here on
        > the MPD 5D list:
        >

        > On Saturday night, around 10 pm, my husband and I
        > were driving home (going north) along 1st St. NW.
        > On the corner of 1st and U or V was a large group of
        > youth, hanging out and generally looking like they
        > were up to no good. Out of (seemingly) nowhere, a
        > 15-18 yr old male comes running into the
        > intersection that we were proceeding through and
        > stops directly in front of our car (in the middle of
        > the road at this point), pulls his hands inside his
        > jacket (as if he had a gun), and starts screaming at
        > our car while running toward it-- likely this was a
        > dare or some way of getting some attention of the
        > group of other young people on the corner. I
        > thought we were going to be carjacked or held up,
        > only 2 blocks from our house.
        >
        > In a moment of panic, my husband floored it,
        > causing the young man to jump out of the way. As we
        > drove past, he hit the side of our car with a jacket
        > or something. We made it home but as we peeled away
        > from him, we noticed him doing the same thing to the
        > car directly behind us.
        >

        > We called 311 and they said they had received a
        > similar complaint, and were sending a car over.
        > (Although in my experience 311 NEVER sends a car
        > when I call to report activity).
        >
        > Just wanted to share in case others had similar
        > issues, though I don't necessarily recommend our
        > particular course of action.

        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      • S.Z. Murib
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 10, 2007
          These boys sound like the same ones that threw a rock at me in Crispus
          Attucks park while walking my dog. I, too, called 311 but no police
          responded. My thought is that something needs to be done to discourage
          these kids from causing a general ruckus and intimidating people who
          live in the neighborhood from going outside.

          --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, Mac Chatham <macchatham@...> wrote:

          > I would think a possible car-jacking in progress
          > should a constitute a 911 call, not 311.
          >
          > --- scott@... wrote:
          >
          > > This is Scott Roberts of Bloomingdale in PSA 501.
          > >
          > > I received the following Email below from a
          > > Bloomingdale resident, which I am posting here on
          > > the MPD 5D list:
          > >

          > > On Saturday night, around 10 pm, my husband and I
          > > were driving home (going north) along 1st St. NW.
          > > On the corner of 1st and U or V was a large group of
          > > youth, hanging out and generally looking like they
          > > were up to no good. Out of (seemingly) nowhere, a
          > > 15-18 yr old male comes running into the
          > > intersection that we were proceeding through and
          > > stops directly in front of our car (in the middle of
          > > the road at this point), pulls his hands inside his
          > > jacket (as if he had a gun), and starts screaming at
          > > our car while running toward it-- likely this was a
          > > dare or some way of getting some attention of the
          > > group of other young people on the corner. I
          > > thought we were going to be carjacked or held up,
          > > only 2 blocks from our house.
          > >
          > > In a moment of panic, my husband floored it,
          > > causing the young man to jump out of the way. As we
          > > drove past, he hit the side of our car with a jacket
          > > or something. We made it home but as we peeled away
          > > from him, we noticed him doing the same thing to the
          > > car directly behind us.
          > >

          > > We called 311 and they said they had received a
          > > similar complaint, and were sending a car over.
          > > (Although in my experience 311 NEVER sends a car
          > > when I call to report activity).
          > >
          > > Just wanted to share in case others had similar
          > > issues, though I don't necessarily recommend our
          > > particular course of action.

          > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

        • Art Corvelay
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 10, 2007
            i agree! call 911 for something like this, especially if you think
            someone's armed!

            can someone from mpd answer this please-- in below incident the person
            said that he was afraid of being robbed due to the youth's actions
            (yelling at the car, running towards it with his hand possibly on a
            weapon). the driver in this case floored it and the youth to move out
            of the way. what if this had happened and the youth was hit by the
            car? would the driver be at fault? what is the best thing to do in a
            case like this (where youre driving and youths attempt to stop you by
            standing in front of car). i know we cant have weapons in dc so whats
            the best way to defend ourselves?

            On Dec 10, 2007 11:20 AM, Mac Chatham <macchatham@...> wrote:

            > I would think a possible car-jacking in progress
            > should a constitute a 911 call, not 311.
            >

            > --- scott@... wrote:
            >
            > > This is Scott Roberts of Bloomingdale in PSA 501.
            > >
            > > I received the following Email below from a
            > > Bloomingdale resident, which I am posting here on
            > > the MPD 5D list:
            > >

            > > On Saturday night, around 10 pm, my husband and I
            > > were driving home (going north) along 1st St. NW.
            > > On the corner of 1st and U or V was a large group of
            > > youth, hanging out and generally looking like they
            > > were up to no good. Out of (seemingly) nowhere, a
            > > 15-18 yr old male comes running into the
            > > intersection that we were proceeding through and
            > > stops directly in front of our car (in the middle of
            > > the road at this point), pulls his hands inside his
            > > jacket (as if he had a gun), and starts screaming at
            > > our car while running toward it-- likely this was a
            > > dare or some way of getting some attention of the
            > > group of other young people on the corner. I
            > > thought we were going to be carjacked or held up,
            > > only 2 blocks from our house.
            > >
            > > In a moment of panic, my husband floored it,
            > > causing the young man to jump out of the way. As we
            > > drove past, he hit the side of our car with a jacket
            > > or something. We made it home but as we peeled away
            > > from him, we noticed him doing the same thing to the
            > > car directly behind us.
            > >

            > > We called 311 and they said they had received a
            > > similar complaint, and were sending a car over.
            > > (Although in my experience 311 NEVER sends a car
            > > when I call to report activity).
            > >
            > > Just wanted to share in case others had similar
            > > issues, though I don't necessarily recommend our
            > > particular course of action.

            > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

          • blclyde
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 13, 2007
              --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, <scott@...> wrote:

              > This is Scott Roberts of Bloomingdale in PSA 501.
              >
              > I received the following Email below from a Bloomingdale resident,
              which I am posting here on the MPD 5D list:

              > On Saturday night, around 10 pm, my husband and I were driving
              home (going north) along 1st St. NW. On the corner of 1st and U or V
              was a large group of youth, hanging out and generally looking like
              they were up to no good. Out of (seemingly) nowhere, a 15-18 yr old
              male comes running into the intersection that we were proceeding
              through and stops directly in front of our car (in the middle of the
              road at this point), pulls his hands inside his jacket (as if he had a
              gun), and starts screaming at our car while running toward it-- likely
              this was a dare or some way of getting some attention of the group of
              other young people on the corner. I thought we were going to be
              carjacked or held up, only 2 blocks from our house.

              > In a moment of panic, my husband floored it, causing the young man
              to jump out of the way. As we drove past, he hit the side of our car
              with a jacket or something. We made it home but as we peeled away from
              him, we noticed him doing the same thing to the car directly behind us.

              > We called 311 and they said they had received a similar complaint,
              and were sending a car over. (Although in my experience 311 NEVER
              sends a car when I call to report activity).

              > Just wanted to share in case others had similar issues, though I
              don't necessarily recommend our particular course of action.

            • Groomes, Diane (MPD)
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 13, 2007

                Thanks for this information and will check with the calls for service on this date and time to see what actions were taken by MPD if dispatched…also have cc’d the 5d team to address your concerns on the youth below

                DIANE C GROOMES

                Assistant Chief of Police

                801 Shepherd St NW, 20011

                202 576-6660 office

                202-996-3386 pager

                diane.groomes@...

                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 31, 2007
                  i never saw a reply to my question below. did i miss it? anyone???