Re: [Brookland] Attempted Robbery On Perry Place NE

  • Judy Ross
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 8, 2007
      I don't know what the laws are re: pepper spray but I wrote to Commander Greene earlier this week to point out that police presence is still not visible in this area even with the increase in robberies and assaults. I do not understand how these robberies can continue to take place on a regular basis in the exact same area when we have asked for special attention, more police presence etc. Commander Greene, what is it going to take to get regular, visible police presence and protection as we travel to and from our homes and cars in this vunerable area?

      Taylor Armstrong <Taylor.Armstrong@...> wrote:
      That's pretty close to the same time our neighbor was mugged this
      evening on Newton and 15th... I wonder if the guy took the next
      available victim? :(

      Anyone know what DC regulations exist concerning pepper spray and the
      like?

      Taylor

      On Dec 7, 2007, at 6:29 PM, janning934 wrote:

      > This evening about 5:45pm as Rebecca, my wife, was walking home from
      > METRO a black male about 6 feet dressed in black with large jewelry
      > chain and possible cross came up behind Rebecca on our "well lighted"
      > porch. He demanded her purse. Rebecca had her purse around her
      > neck. She began screaming and ringing doorbell. I was at dinning
      > room table when I heard her screaming. I ran to door and as I opened
      > it the man (twenty-something) ran off. Fortunately Rebecca was not
      > harmed and he did not get her purse. Rebecca is certain no one
      > followed her home as she saw no one as she passed Cardinal's Nest
      > (two police vehicles were parked across from the Nest at the time).
      > She feels he was lurking around in the area of the house on the
      > corner or across the street by Turkey Thicket Rec Center.
      >
      > Again, please light up the neighborhood.
      > Tim
      >
      > Tim & Rebecca Janning
      > 934 Perry Place NE
      > Washington, DC 20017
      > 202-526-7915
      > janning934@...

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      <*> Your email settings:
      Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
      (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
      mailto:Brookland-digest@yahoogroups.com
      mailto:Brookland-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Taylor Armstrong
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 8, 2007
        For what it is worth, I *have* noticed an increased presence, but it hasn't seemed to help.

        In addition to the patrol car I see every morning just below 12th street on Otis, I've also noticed a car parked up Otis at 14th (or 15th... can't remember) several evenings when walking home.

        Unfortunately, it just hasn't seemed to deter them enough (so far)

        Taylor

        Taylor Armstrong <Taylor.Armstrong@ gmail.com> wrote:
        That's pretty close to the same time our neighbor was mugged this
        evening on Newton and 15th... I wonder if the guy took the next
        available victim? :(

        Anyone know what DC regulations exist concerning pepper spray and the
        like?

        Taylor

        On Dec 7, 2007, at 6:29 PM, janning934 wrote:

        > This evening about 5:45pm as Rebecca, my wife, was walking home from
        > METRO a black male about 6 feet dressed in black with large jewelry
        > chain and possible cross came up behind Rebecca on our "well lighted"
        > porch. He demanded her purse. Rebecca had her purse around her
        > neck. She began screaming and ringing doorbell. I was at dinning
        > room table when I heard her screaming. I ran to door and as I opened
        > it the man (twenty-something) ran off. Fortunately Rebecca was not
        > harmed and he did not get her purse. Rebecca is certain no one
        > followed her home as she saw no one as she passed Cardinal's Nest
        > (two police vehicles were parked across from the Nest at the time).
        > She feels he was lurking around in the area of the house on the
        > corner or across the street by Turkey Thicket Rec Center.
        >
        > Again, please light up the neighborhood.
        > Tim
        >
        > Tim & Rebecca Janning
        > 934 Perry Place NE
        > Washington, DC 20017
        > 202-526-7915
        > janning934@rcn. com

      • Judy Ross
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 8, 2007
          Perhaps "the" car should be moving through area instead of sitting in the same spot?  My daughter walks to/from the metro a.m./p.m. and has not seen the police in the area within the past two weeks.

          Judy

          Taylor Armstrong <Taylor.Armstrong@...> wrote:
          For what it is worth, I *have* noticed an increased presence, but it hasn't seemed to help.

          In addition to the patrol car

           I see every morning just below 12th street on Otis, I've also noticed a car parked up Otis at 14th (or 15th... can't remember) several evenings when walking home.

          Unfortunately, it just hasn't seemed to deter them enough (so far)

          Taylor

          On Dec 8, 2007, at 5:45 PM, Judy Ross wrote:

          I don't know what the laws are re: pepper spray but I wrote to Commander Greene earlier this week to point out that police presence is still not visible in this area even with the increase in robberies and assaults. I do not understand how these robberies can continue to take place on a regular basis in the exact same area when we have asked for special attention, more police presence etc. Commander Greene, what is it going to take to get regular, visible police presence and protection as we travel to and from our homes and cars in this vunerable area?

          Taylor Armstrong <Taylor.Armstrong@ gmail.com> wrote:
          That's pretty close to the same time our neighbor was mugged this
          evening on Newton and 15th... I wonder if the guy took the next
          available victim? :(

          Anyone know what DC regulations exist concerning pepper spray and the
          like?

          Taylor

          On Dec 7, 2007, at 6:29 PM, janning934 wrote:

          > This evening about 5:45pm as Rebecca, my wife, was walking home from
          > METRO a black male about 6 feet dressed in black with large jewelry
          > chain and possible cross came up behind Rebecca on our "well lighted"
          > porch. He demanded her purse. Rebecca had her purse around her
          > neck. She began screaming and ringing doorbell. I was at dinning
          > room table when I heard her screaming. I ran to door and as I opened
          > it the man (twenty-something) ran off. Fortunately Rebecca was not
          > harmed and he did not get her purse. Rebecca is certain no one
          > followed her home as she saw no one as she passed Cardinal's Nest
          > (two police vehicles were parked across from the Nest at the time).
          > She feels he was lurking around in the area of the house on the
          > corner or across the street by Turkey Thicket Rec Center.
          >
          > Again, please light up the neighborhood.
          > Tim
          >
          > Tim & Rebecca Janning
          > 934 Perry Place NE
          > Washington, DC 20017
          > 202-526-7915
          > janning934@rcn. com

        • Wayne Steinhilber
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 10, 2007
            Mr Armstrong:

            As posted to the Brookland Group.

            I have already responded directly to Mr. & Mrs Janning and will provide this update for all members.

            The suspect description has been provided to PSA 502 Crime Patrol and Special Beat units. The large 80s style gold chain the suspect was wearing is consistent with that being worn worn by juvenile males. And the boldness of his action would indicate that he is comfortable with the area. 5th District detectives have this information and a follow up investigation is in progress.

            As posted on line prior, there have been two arrests made of robbery suspects recently, one with the recovery of a loaded handgun and another after two positive identifications. In addition, two suspects have been identified in regards to several strong arm robberies. Photo line ups will be developed by detectives and will be shown to past victims.

            In regards to police presence, additional police units have indeed been deployed to the area to include bike patrol and plain clothes tactical units. Metro Transit Police have increased patrols at the Brookland Station during rush hour and have extended patrols along 12th Street.

            Residents can assist police efforts by looking out for the following subjects/situations and calling 311-911 as appropriate. And consider that the suspects involved in these recent robberies work/live locally and are very familiar with the area. For example, the suspect arrested for the recent robbery on Rhode Island Avenue worked at a store just two blocks away.

            #1 Report immediately suspicious vehicles that are observed parked, occupied, with engines running and lights turned off. We are particularly interested in dark colored SUVs or silver colored vehicles

            #2 Report immediately suspicious vehicles that appear to be circling the block, changing direction mid block or observing/following individuals who are walking.

            #3 Report immediately suspicious subject(s) on foot who appear to be loitering on a block, in alley entrances or alongside closed commercial locations. If you believe you are being followed, head for an occupied and lighted area and call police.

            #4 Report immediately suspicious vehicles that are parked in alleys or near any abandoned buildings or houses. Past robbery suspects have been found to use the same vehicle, usually stolen, and park the vehicles in isolated areas when not in use.

            One of the best chances we have to capture the suspects involved in these robberies is with alert citizens who observe and report suspicious activities. You will know what does not seem right - trust your instincts. Patrol officers will investigate and your confidentiality will be protected.

            I will keep members posted as new information becomes available.