Re: [MPD-5D] Fwd: Another Mugging (On Otis / PSA 502)

  • Wayne Steinhilber
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 2007
      Brian:

      Thank you for your posting.

      Saturday evening 5district patrol units (PSA 502 + 505) made an arrest of a male suspect who had minutes before grabbed the purse of a female walking in the 1300 Block Rhode Island Avenue NE. The victim and a witness were able to make a positive identification of the suspect on scene and 5th District detectives will be conducting a follow up investigation to determine if this suspect is involved in any other recent robberies in the Brookland area.

      At about the same time, PSA 502 Team Leader Lt. Greg Stroud located two male subjects who matched established look-outs which were obtained from several strong arm robbery victims.  The subjects were stopped by patrol units and were identified.  5th District detectives responded to the scene to interview both subjects and a follow up investigation is in process.

      In the meantime, PSA 502 units, with cooperation from Metro Transit Police will be conducting increased patrols in the areas around the Brookland Metro station and 12th Street Business District.

      Residents and visitors to the area can greatly assist patrol efforts by keeping an eye out for suspicious activity to include loitering vehicles, or subjects on foot who appear to be following or overtly watching other individuals.  Investigations indicate suspects may be sitting in a parked car with engines running and with lights out - exiting when a target individual walks by or, following individuals as they walk to and from the Metro station or from local businesses.

      As additional information becomes available, I will see that it gets posted.

      Sgt Wayne Steinhilber
      PSA 502-Third Watch

      "brian.ions" <brian.ions@...> wrote:
      Just FYI -- cross-posted from the Brookland listserv.

      brian
      on Newton

      --- In Brookland@yahoogrou ps.com, Caroline Petti <carolinepetti@ ...>
      wrote:

      Friends and Neighbors,

      It's 6:40 pm, Friday and I'm sitting at my desk looking out at a bevy of
      police cars and ambulances on Otis Street between 15th and 16th.
      There's been another mugging -- half an hour ago. I don't know much,
      but someone who saw the whole thing unfold told me that two guys beat up
      a guy walking up Otis to the Metro. No description of the muggers that
      would help anyone. The guy they mugged was hurt, not sure how badly,
      and is being taken to the hospital in one of the ambulances. Not sure
      if there was a gun. They ran up the street with his wallet.

      We've heard it before, I'll say it again, be careful out there. They're
      clearly preying on Metro walkers.

      Take care,
      Caroline on Otis