Re: Prostitutes on West Virginia Ave.

  • ward5res
    Message 1 of 33 , Nov 19, 2007
      Commander Greene:

      I see that there was extensive posting regarding this issue last month
      and I have not had an opportunity to read all of them; so please
      forgive me if I am posing questions that have already been addressed.

      That said, DC law allows MPD to declare certain areas to be
      "Prostitution Free Zones," which allows MPD greater flexibility to
      address prostitution issues during a 10-day period. However,
      according to the MPD website, no such zones have been declared so far
      this year and none are planned. The website further indicates that
      only 4 were declared last year -- with only one of those being in 5D
      (PSA 503).

      I am wondering why there has been such little use of this tool. Has
      it been deemed to be not so useful? Or, has it actually been used
      more often and this is just a case of the website not being updated?

      Unless the the zones are simply not helpful, I would love to see them
      established along West Virginia Ave on a regular basis in addition to
      your other efforts (which I have definitely noticed, by the way).

      Thank you.

      --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Greene, Lamar \(MPD\)"
      <lamar.greene@...> wrote:

      > I have returned and reviewed the recent spike in crime and the many
      issues surrounding the prostitutes on West Virginia Avenue. As a part
      of the overall strategy to address this recent spike in violent crime,
      I will request the prostitution unit to begin conducting operations in
      Trinidad again specifically the West Virginia Avenue corridor

      > Lamar D. Greene
      > Commander
      > Fifth District
      >

      > ________________________________

      public streets, they have as much right to be present there as you do.
      It's not any more your street than it is theirs. I don't blame you
      for being upset about the pandering, it's illegal and shouldn't occur,
      and you shouldn't have to put up with it, but you seem to be objecting
      to the people, not the crime.

      > Last time I checked, they do have as much right to be there as
      anyone else does, regardless of their choice in clothing.

      > ________________________________

      Behalf Of islandblingg
      > Sent: Friday, October 26, 2007 10:31 AM
      > To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [MPD-5D] Re: Prostitutes on West Virginia Ave.
      >

      > Awesome. I am really glad to hear this. Just as an FYI- it's not
      > only women prostitutes- well they might look like women but they
      > aren't.
      >
      > I've lived in the neighborhood for 2 years and you know truthfully
      > when I first saw this type of activity I was pretty much in denial.
      > I didn't want to think that this was happening on the block where I
      > just bought my first home. But I am totally fed up at seeing
      > these "street walkers" around here as if they have a right to be
      > there. It's time that we reclaim OUR streets and make our
      > neighborhoods a better place for everyone.
      >
      > As of late I was so close to going out there myself and stand on the
      > corner with a poster prostesting the prostitutes, but I thought
      > about the possible reprocussions if they were working for pimps who
      > would want to get aggressive.
      >
      > Any advice?
      >
      > Once again thanks for the extra efforts in regards to this matter...
      >
      > --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com <mailto:MPD-5D%40yahoogroups.com> ,
      "West, Lamar \(MPD\)"
      > <lamar.west@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I have recently been assigned to the day shift from evening and I
      > myself
      > > stopped a couple ladies yesterday. I have directed my PSA 504
      > officers
      > > to give special attention
      > >
      > > to this area. I have also directed the 5D Vice Lieutenant to
      > perform
      > > narcotic and prostitution related operations in this area also.
      > >

      > > Captain L.F.West
      > >
      > > Fifth District (PSA 503 & PSA 504)
      > >
      > > Office (202) (698-0122)
      > >
      > > Cell (202) (425-2059)