Car and bikes stolen

  • Mac Chatham
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2007
      We live on the unit block of N St. NW and thought we
      should make others aware of recent incidents on our
      block. Over the weekend, our bikes were stolen from
      our back yard. Someone had to climb over our fence
      and then hoist the bikes back up and over.
      Unfortunately I was out of town so we don't know
      whether they were stolen during the day or night, but
      believe they were taken either Fri or Sat of last
      week.

      Then separately on Monday the 29th my car was stolen
      from the street during the day. It was parked right
      in from on the Brass Knob on N St. NW. It was a light
      blue 4-door 1994 Toyota Camry. DC license plate
      CX-1349. It had a UNC 2005 national championship
      sticker on the back bumper and duck tape holding up
      the back passenger side window.

      If anyone has any info or advice it would be much
      appreciated.

      thanks,
      Mac Chatham
      919-414-8344

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Doug Coleman
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2007
        I hate to say this but....why did you not have your bikes locked up?

        Even in your backyard, if there can be seen, they are an easy target.

        They are easy to sell for a quick price.

[...]

        Do You Yahoo!?
        http://mail. yahoo.com

      • kimberly Niono
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 1, 2007
          Blame the victim why dont you.!!

          A person should be able to have a bicycle in their backyard without someone stealing it.

          I guess if someone goes up to a car, opens the door and jacks the owner, your reply would be why wasn't the door locked.

          My thoughts are why are people stealing and robbing folks!!  Why don't they get out and get a J-O-B??!!!

          Doug Coleman <dougdc@...> wrote:
[...]

        • Greene, Lamar (MPD)
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 1, 2007
            Re: [MPD-5D] Car and bikes stolen

            I am sorry to hear that your bike and car were stolen, please call 202 698 0111 they will direct you to our auto theft unit for follow up

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 1, 2007
              Officer Greene,

              Could you offer us some tips to make our property less appealing to
              thieves? I know using locks on outside storage units, bikes, and
              other items that can be removed is on the list. Also, keeping items
              such as CDs and change out of site in cars. Are there other tips? Do
              you see many cars stolen that have a "Club" anti-theft device on the
              steering wheel?

              Thanks!

              --

              "Vision without execution is hallucination."

              - Albert Einstein
            • Deborah Golden
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 1, 2007
                I have read that standard transmission cars are rarely stolen. Your average young thief doesn't know how to drive one. Something to think about when buying a car.
              • Matt Ashburn
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 1, 2007
                  Here are some tips:

                  -Register your car with the "Watch Your Car" program, if possible:
                  http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/cwp/view,a,1242,q,547151,mpdcNav_GID,1541,.asp

                  -Review MPD's online burglary prevention guide:
                  http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/frames.asp?doc=/mpdc/lib/mpdc/info/safety_pdf/burglary_prevention.pdf

                  -Other safety tip sheets are at:
                  http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/cwp/view,a,1237,q,542013,mpdcNav_GID,1523,mpdcNav,|.asp

                  Matt

                  On 11/1/07, Lucci <lmashore@...> wrote:

                  > Officer Greene,
                  >
                  > Could you offer us some tips to make our property less appealing to
                  > thieves? I know using locks on outside storage units, bikes, and
                  > other items that can be removed is on the list. Also, keeping items
                  > such as CDs and change out of site in cars. Are there other tips? Do
                  > you see many cars stolen that have a "Club" anti-theft device on the
                  > steering wheel?
                  >
                  > Thanks!
                  >

                  > On 11/1/07, Greene, Lamar (MPD) <lamar.greene@...> wrote:
                  > > I am sorry to hear that your bike and car were stolen, please call 202 698
                  > > 0111 they will direct you to our auto theft unit for follow up
                  > >
                  > > Sent from my GoodLink synchronized handheld (www.good.com)

                • Doug Coleman
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 1, 2007
                    Kimberly,

                    I have live in DC since 1983 when I came to attend college.

                    I supported my education as a bike messenger in NYC (my former home) and DC as well.

                    Bicycles are one of the most COMMONLY stolen items.

                    Because of this, during my years of living here, I have always kept my bikes in my house even if they took too much space because they are an appealing target.

                    Thieve like an easy score. An unlocked bike in a yard would count as this.

                    I was not attacking the sender, I was merely educating them.

                    DC

                  • khenderson029@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 1, 2007
                      Good Evening All:

                      Unfortunately, we are moving into the holiday season and property crimes are likely to increase according to Commander Greene. The 5B10 community experiences significant increases in property crimes every year around this time. It is quite common for people to steal items from backyards, front porches, cars, homes etc. My neighbor's weed trimmer was stolen two days ago from his backyard after he left it unattended for fifteen minutes. Of course this shouldn't happen, but it does and we are all reminded to take reasonable precautions to secure our property,

                      Not too long ago we were given the opportunity to purchase the "Club" through our PSA for $13.00. Will there be an opportunity in the near future for citizens to take advantage of the group discount process to purchase a "Club" at our respective PSA meetings?

                      Kathy