RE: [ThePSA414OrangeHatPatrolGroup] Digest Number 391

  • Smith, Yvonne (MPD)
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4 1:19 PM
      [ThePSA414OrangeHatPatrolGroup] Digest Number 391

      Thursday, November 04, 2004

      Suspect in Hit-and-Run Death of Five Year Old in Custody

      Christopher Deon Powell, wanted on a warrant charging him with Second Degree Murder in connection with the October 28 hit-and-run death of 5-year-old Lawrence Yelverton, turned himself in to the Metropolitan Police Department on the morning of Thursday, November 4, 2004.

      At approximately 4:30 pm on Thursday, October 28, 2004, officers from the Seventh District were called to 2735 Langston Place, SE to investigate the report of two pedestrians who had been struck. Upon arrival, it was discovered that two juvenile males, ages 4 and 5, had reportedly been walking along the courtyard sidewalk at that location while being accompanied by an adult. At that time a male subject reportedly operating a red-and-white colored “dirt bike” type motorcycle struck the children and then subsequently left the scene without stopping. Both victims were subsequently transported to the Children’s National Medical Center and admitted in very serious condition. On Friday, October 29, 2004, at 4:45 am, 5-year-old Lawrence Yelverton, of the 2300 block Hartford Street, SE, was pronounced dead. The 4-year-old juvenile was admitted to the hospital in critical condition.

      An abandoned motorcycle matching the description of the one involved in the above incident was recovered a short distance away. The warrant charging Mr. Powell was issued on November 3, 2004, and the MPDC released Mr. Powell's name and photograph to the public in an attempt to locate him.

      Topics in this digest:
            2. Ramifications for off road mini bikes
                 From: rodites@...

      Message: 2
         Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 18:58:02 EST
         From: rodites@...
      Subject: Ramifications for off road mini bikes

      I apologize in advance because I do not have all the facts, but I wanted some
      clarity regarding last week's incident where a 5 year old was killed by a
      person driving a mini bike in DC

      1. Was the vehicle involved in the accident the type of vehicle that the
      council passed emergency legislation regarding these off road/mini bikes?
      2. If so, what are the ramifications this person could expect?
      3. How long must we wait until this legislation is permanent?

      [This message contained attachments]