9.1.14 Metropolitan Police Anti-Littering Enforcement Program Expanded Citywide

  • Press, MPD (MPD)
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1 7:59 AM

      Contact: Gwendolyn Crump 202-727-4383

      September 1, 2014

      Metropolitan Police Anti-Littering Enforcement Program Expanded Citywide

      (Washington, DC) – On Monday, September 1, 2014, the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) launched citywide enforcement of the District of Columbia’s anti-littering laws, allowing officers to issue $75 Notices of Violation (NOV) to any pedestrian observed littering. The citywide enforcement comes after warnings were issued during the month of August.

      If an officer sees a person dropping waste material of any kind on public space, in waterways, or on someone else’s private property, the person may receive a $75 NOV for littering. Anyone issued the NOV is required to provide their accurate name and address to the officer. Those who refuse or fail to provide their accurate name and address can be arrested and, upon conviction, be fined an additional $100 to $250 by the D.C. Superior Court. Failure to respond to a littering ticket by either paying the fine or appealing the ticket to the Office of Administrative Hearings will result in a doubling of the fine.

      MPD officers can also issue $100 traffic tickets to the driver of any vehicle where an officer observes either the driver or any passenger toss trash of any kind onto someone else’s private property or onto any public space, such as streets, alleys, or sidewalks.

      Get involved! Give input on the draft Age-Friendly DC goals and objectives at community meetings in August and September.

    • AEO

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1 11:05 AM
          Questions:
          1. Does this apply, or can it be used by private security companies (SPO'S) to help keep private apartment complex properties cleaned up?
          2A. Can MPD/MTPD stop METROBUSES for litterbug passengers throwing trash out bus windows? Yes, it happens.
          2B. If so is this fine on driver, or litterbug passenger? It would be really nice to have some enforcement leverage to stop this nastiness.
          Thanks. Have a safe holiday.
          LD Lee

          Sent from my Cricket smart phone

          "'Press, MPD (MPD)' mpd.press@... [MPD-5D]" <MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          >Contact: Gwendolyn Crump 202-727-4383
          >
          >September 1, 2014
          >
          >Metropolitan Police Anti-Littering Enforcement Program Expanded Citywide
          >
          >(Washington, DC) – On Monday, September 1, 2014, the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) launched citywide enforcement of the District of Columbia’s anti-littering laws, allowing officers to issue $75 Notices of Violation (NOV) to any pedestrian observed littering. The citywide enforcement comes after warnings were issued during the month of August.
          >
          >If an officer sees a person dropping waste material of any kind on public space, in waterways, or on someone else’s private property, the person may receive a $75 NOV for littering. Anyone issued the NOV is required to provide their accurate name and address to the officer. Those who refuse or fail to provide their accurate name and address can be arrested and, upon conviction, be fined an additional $100 to $250 by the D.C. Superior Court. Failure to respond to a littering ticket by either paying the fine or appealing the ticket to the Office of Administrative Hearings will result in a doubling of the fine.
          >
          >MPD officers can also issue $100 traffic tickets to the driver of any vehicle where an officer observes either the driver or any passenger toss trash of any kind onto someone else’s private property or onto any public space, such as streets, alleys, or sidewalks.
          >
          >Get involved! Give input<http://agefriendly.dc.gov/page/draft-age-friendly-dc-goals-and-objectives> on the draft Age-Friendly DC<http://agefriendly.dc.gov/> goals and objectives at community meetings in August and September.

        • elcsmail
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 1 11:12 AM
            Another question: Does it count if the officer sees it on a security camera?
            Thanks again.