Burglary safety tips

  • Hughes, Corinne (MPD)
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 19, 2014

      Check Your Locks

      • Make sure every external door has a strong, well-installed dead bolt lock. Key-in-the-knob locks alone are not enough.
      • Sliding glass doors offer easy access if they are not properly secured. You can secure them by putting a broomstick or dowel in the inside track to jam the door or by installing commercially available locks. To prevent the door being lifted off of the track, drill a hole through the sliding door frame and the fixed frame. Then insert a pin in the hole.
      • Lock double-hung windows with key locks or "pin" your windows by drilling a small hole at a 45 degree angle between the inner and outer frames, then insert a nail that can be removed. You should secure basement windows with grilles or grates (but make sure that they can be opened from the inside in case of fire).
      • Never hide keys around the outside of your home. Instead, give an extra key to a neighbor you trust.
      • When you move into a new house or apartment, re-key the locks.

      Check Your Doors

      While we all like to feel that once we close and lock our doors, we’re safe and secure, the truth of the matter is that a lock on a flimsy door is about as effective as locking your car door but leaving the window down with your wallet on the front seat.

      • All outside doors should be metal or solid wood.
      • Install a peephole or wide-angle viewer in all entry doors so that you can see who is outside without opening the door. Door chains break easily and don’t keep out intruders.
      • If your doors don’t fit tightly in their frames, install weather stripping around them.

      Lieutenant Corinne Hughes

      Metropolitan Police Department

      Fifth District

      Manager of PSA 503

      office (202) 698-0273

      cell (202) 615-6803

      Help DC become an Age-Friendly city by participating in the Block-by-Block Walk on Saturday, September 6. Sign up here to volunteer.