Hate crimes are illegal, unacceptable, and hurt all in the community. No one should threaten or assault you based upon bias. Follow these Sexual-Orientation Hate Crime Prevention tips from the National Crime Prevention Council.
- Report Hate Crimes immediately to the police.
- Work with your local police to educate others about preventing hate crimes in your community.
- Don’t leave an establishment with a stranger. Arrange a future date in a public place with friends.
- Never agree to meet someone, in-person, you just met online.
- Avoid using alcohol or drugs that can impair your judgment.
- Trust your instincts. Remove yourself from unsafe situations.
- Avoid walking alone and late at night. Be aware of your surroundings when leaving a bar, meeting, or organization routinely targeted by hate groups
Lieutenant Corinne Hughes
Metropolitan Police Department
Manager of PSA 503
office (202) 698-0273
cell (202) 615-6803
DC Public Schools’ Beautification Day is on Saturday, August 23! Roll up your sleeves and help beautify our schools. Sign up to volunteer.