Protecting yourself at an ATM
Her are some tips you should know to prevent yourself from becoming a victim at an ATM
- If possible , use the ATM's that are located inside buildings, If you must use an ATM, avoid using it at night. If you use one at night, select one with lots of people around, that is well-lit, and is not in a secluded, low-visibility area.
- Try to have a friend accompany you when using an ATM
- Be aware of your surroundings and the people around you,
- Complete your transaction as quickly as possible, and do not flaunt your cash.
- Secure your cash and your ATM card in your wallet or purse before leaving the machine.
For other safety tips visit the Metropolitan Police Department website at www.mpdc.dc.gov/safety
Lt. Edward Bernat