burglary tip

  • Griffin, Randy (MPD)
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2014

      While we all like to feel that once we close and lock our doors, we’re safe and secure, the truth of the matter is that a lock on a flimsy door is about as effective as locking your car door but leaving the window down with your wallet on your front seat?

      ·         All outside doors should be metal or solid wood.

      ·         If your door don’t fit tightly in their frames, install weather stripping around them.

      ·         Every external door should have a strong, well-installed dead bolt lock.

      ·         Lock your doors.

      ·         You should secure basement windows with grilles or grates (but make sure that they can be opened from the inside in case of fire.)

      ·         Keep your yard clean.  Prune shrubbery so it doesn’t hide windows or doors.

      ·         Good neighbors who look out for one another can be an effective deterrent to burglars.

      With the D.C. Free Summer Meals Program, kids and teens eat for free at schools, parks, libraries and community organizations all summer long! Call 211, text FOOD to (202) 656-5EAT or visit www.onecityyouth.dc.gov to find a site near you.

    • Kathy Henderson