Re: [MPD-5D] Fwd: robbery at gunpoint

  • khenderson029@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 3, 2007
      Good Morning All:

      This incident is very troubling and reminds me about an attempted robbery in the nail salon at Hechinger Mall two weeks ago. Around closing time (7:30 p.m. or so) a young man (18-20) asked if the salon had a phone, which I thought was a strange question but did not think much about it. Commissioner Henderson gave him a business card and he left. Ten minutes later he called the salon from his cell phone and then returned to rob the place. We startled him when he started rifling through the drawers where the salon personnel usually keep the days receipts and cash. He left empty-handed. If we had paid more attention we would have called the police as soon as he asked that ridiculous question about whether the salon had a phone.

      Trish's assessment is correct; no one would walk in the way the young assailant did to inquire about buying a house and no reasonable person would walk into a nail salon and ask if they have a phone? It is far better to err on the side of caution and call the police at the first sign of suspicion. The holiday season is just around the corner and I am certain the criminals are gearing up to take what does not belong to them. Be careful and do not dismiss first instincts that something is not right.

      Sincerely,

      Kathy