Another accident at Oates & Orren involving a police cruiser

  • TrinidadResident
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 30, 2007
      Dear Commander Greene and Lt. Anderson,
      Last weekend there was another accident at Orren & Oates Sts. NE that
      involved a police cruiser. My neighbor and I thought back and we think
      we can remember at least three more accidents at or near this
      intersection in just the last year. At the scene of last week's
      accident I watched a person roll up to the intersection on an illegal
      dirt bike (no plates or lights that I could see) and an officer on the
      scene just waved the guy on the bike through the intersection.
      I bring it up because my belief is that more traffic enforcement would
      be beneficial in 5D even though there are things that may seem to be
      more important places to put resources. People here seem to take
      traffic signs and signals as suggestions rather than indicators of the
      law and the rampant disregard for the rules--reckless speeding, rolling
      through stop signs, riding unregistered motorcycles often the wrong way
      down one-way streets, etc.--contributes to the air of lawlessness that
      we sometimes feel here. I believe it also leads to the frequent
      accidents here at my intersection and I fear it's only a matter of time
      before a pedestrian is killed in the neighborhood.
      I don't believe in asking the police to solve all our problems and on
      our end we are collecting signatures to have speedbumps installed. But
      I did want to voice my opinion and ask you to consider occasionally
      focusing on traffic enforcement, particularly speeding in neighborhood
      streets.
      Thank you for your attention and for your continuing efforts in the 5th
      District and PSA 504
      Sincerely
      Robert Parker
      Trinidad
    • Greene, Lamar (MPD)
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 30, 2007
        RE: [MPD-5D] Another accident at Oates & Orren involving a police cruiser

        I agree that we can always increase the enforcement  of traffic however a nieghborhood signed petition may be enough to get speed bumps installed, I will also have the psa lt increase enforcement at this location

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 3, 2007
          I second this resident's feelings regarding motor
          vehicle use in Trinidad. There are a couple targets
          I'd like to see MPD go after:
          First, the illegal motorbikes Trinidad Resident
          mentions. Not only do they speed down streets,
          sometimes in the opposite direction of posted signs
          but also through alleys AND worst of all, down the
          sidewalk. I was almost run down by one the other day
          speeding down Florida Ave on the sidewalk as ai began
          to step off my stairs.
          Second, a subject close to me and the rest of the
          residents along Florida AVe is that it has become a
          major highway, more than ever before. Certainly the
          roadwork on H St has contributed to the more
          widespread use of Florida as a thoroughfare but the
          speed is quite often shocking. We sit on our front
          porches and routinely witness people driving 50-60
          mph. There are alot of elderly residents on this
          street afraid to cross and rightly so.Lets not forget
          the Gallaudet students who walk Florida as well, not
          only in the area of the speed camera. I see this
          problem only getting worse as construction on H St
          ramps up even further. Speed limit signs say 25; even
          an ENFORCED 30-35 mph speed limit would be welcome. I
          think if MPD could pay a little more attention to
          speeders, making increased stops for this reason it
          could at least begin to send a message.
          Thanks for the hard work....

          Tina

        • Greene, Lamar (MPD)
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 3, 2007
            I will direct my PSA units to enforce traffic with no tolerance at that location, however we have a very strict anti chase policy and they cannot pursue vehicles for traffic. please keep me posted as to whether you notice a difference in the traffic flow.

            Lamar D. Greene
            Commander
            Fifth District

            http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/?link=list&sid=396545469 <http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/?link=list&sid=396545469>