Edgewood Recreation Center - Large Party

  • dierdreporter
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 29, 2014

      Dear Edgewood Community,

      Last night, I attended the Edgewood Civic Association Meeting to address the response of the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) to a large gathering at the Edgewood Recreation Center located at 3rd and Evarts Streets, NE, on April 12, 2014.

      The large gathering was first brought to the attention of MPD by one of our members patrolling in the area.  MPD requested and the Department of Parks and Recreation and Howard University sent representatives to consult with MPD.   Once MPD determined that the gathering was not permitted, we took the necessary steps to shut down the event and allow for a safe and orderly egress of the attendees out of the Edgewood Community.

      I can definitively relay that the large gathering was not sanctioned or approved by MPD.  Moreover, after personally speaking with representatives of both the Department of Parks and Recreation and Howard University, it is my understanding that the large gathering was not sanctioned or approved by the aforementioned entities.

      As a result of this unplanned and disruptive event to the community, there has been more collaboration between MPD, Department of Parks and Recreation and Howard University to ensure that such incidents do not occur in our community.

      Respectfully, Commander Dierdre Porter

      Fifth DistrictDierdre.Porter@...

    • Kathy Henderson
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 29, 2014
        Well done Commander Porter. I support the community's desire for maximum peace, order and quiet. We discourage noisy gatherings in our community and want peace and quiet for neighbors in other areas.

        Kathy Henderson 5D05

        Sent from my iPhone

[...]

      • Porter, Dierdre (MPD)