Re: [MPD-5D] Arrest made in recent hate crime

  • Deborah Golden
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 28, 2007
      I'm very glad (especially as a gay resident of Trinidad) to know that that GLLU took this event seriously. But, if I remember correctly, the MPD officers who initially did not take this seriously or for some other reason didn't follow up. This is very disturbing.n I would hope it was an abberation.

      Unfortunately, it comports with my recent experiences calling MPD, and with stories I have heard from my friends. Responding officers do not put forth the effort requred to make arrests or otherwise flag incidents for follow up. I hope the new reorganization will help. I hope something will help.

      On 9/27/07, Ashburn, Matthew (MPD) <Matthew.Ashburn@...> wrote:

      Please see below press release.  Officers from MPD's Gay and Lesbian Liaison Unit (GLLU) investigated and closed this recent hate crime case with an arrest today.

      Matt

      --
      Matt W. Ashburn, Auxiliary #1314
      Gay and Lesbian Liaison Unit

      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

      Contact: (202) 727-9346

      September 27, 2007

      ARREST MADE IN HATE CRIME ON 36TH STREET, NW

      (WASHINGTON, DC)  — Metropolitan Police Chief Cathy L. Lanier announced today that an arrest has been made in a hate/bias crime which occurred on September 9, 2007, in the 1400 block of 36th Street, NW. An arrest warrant was obtained yesterday for the suspect, Phillip Anderton Cooney, of Texas, charging him with simple assault. The case was flagged for investigation as a potential hate crime based on sexual orientation and members of the Department's Gay and Lesbian Liaison Unit (GLLU) were assigned.

      Detectives from the Second District, members of the GLLU, and the Georgetown University Department of Public Safety collaborated to identify the suspect and make the arrest. Mr. Cooney was taken into custody this afternoon without incident and will be held until his arraignment.

      Chief Lanier expressed her appreciation for the quick work by GLLU Officer Joseph Morquecho in identifying the suspect in this case and helping to bring it to closure. "The Metropolitan Police Department takes all crime seriously and is committed to bringing a swift end to crimes of hate and bias. All members of the community should feel safe and welcome in our neighborhoods without the fear that they may become the victim of random violence," she said. "Investigating hate crimes often involves delicate and personal matters and I commend these officers for staying on top of the case while ensuring the victim's well-being."

      Lanier stressed that the Department has not seen an unusual spike in reported hate crimes, but that the recent cases have garnered more attention to the issue of hate and bias crimes in the District. In 2006, the city recorded 40 crimes related to sexual orientation, 14 crimes based on the victim's race, four based on the victim's religion, and one politically-motivated hate crime. In 2007, thus far, 21 cases have been classified as being motivated by sexual orientation, three based on the person's religion, and three  based on the victim's race.

      The Department is a partner in the DC Bias Crimes Task Force. The task force, formed in 1996 to combat hate crimes and increase public awareness about bias-motivated crimes in the nation's capital, is led by the United States Attorney for the District of Columbia.

      For further information, please contact GLLU Lt. Alberto Jova at (202) 727-5427.

      # # #