RE: nuisance properties

  • neda ulaby
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 26, 2007
      Greetings,

      We'll be at the next community meeting. Thank you.

      In the meantime, I thought you shoud know I was attacked this evening by the residents of 44 Bates St NW when I attempted to reclaim my garbage can (which had our number painted on it) from their yard.

      A woman at 44 Bates grabbed me by the hair and dragged me across the alley, while screaming racial and homophobic epitets. I did call the police, perhaps stupidly, and I am now worried about repercussions. This property is hugely problematic and I am grateful for any attention you might bring to it.

      Many thanks,

      Neda Ulaby
      42 Bates St NW

    • Groomes, Diane (MPD)
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 26, 2007
        I am sorry to hear about the attack against you - I am cc'ing your new
        Commander Lamar Greene for response and to ensure that his PSA Team can
        give attention to you home - they will also conduct a follow up with you
        and ensure that a Detective contacts you as well - do you have any
        suspects names???

        Assistant Chief of Police Diane Groomes

        Patrol Services Bureau

        Metropolitan Police Department

        202-576-6600 office

        202-996-3386 pager

        diane.groomes@...

        ________________________________

        We'll be at the next community meeting. Thank you.

        In the meantime, I thought you shoud know I was attacked this evening by
        the residents of 44 Bates St NW when I attempted to reclaim my garbage
        can (which had our number painted on it) from their yard.

        A woman at 44 Bates grabbed me by the hair and dragged me across the
        alley, while screaming racial and homophobic epitets. I did call the
        police, perhaps stupidly, and I am now worried about repercussions. This
        property is hugely problematic and I am grateful for any attention you
        might bring to it.

        Many thanks,

        Neda Ulaby
        42 Bates St NW

      • Ashburn, Matthew (MPD)
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 27, 2007
          RE: [MPD-5D] RE: nuisance properties

          Ma'am,

          If you would like, you can contact the on-call member of the Gay and Lesbian Liaison Unit via pager at 1-877-495-5995 (call the number, then enter your call back number when prompted), and a member of the GLLU staff will call you back within a few minutes.

          The GLLU provides 24-hour on-call police services on issues or crimes by or against members of the GLBT community, community outreach, and investigates potential hate/bias crimes.

          Matt

          --
          Matt W. Ashburn, Auxiliary #1314
          Gay and Lesbian Liaison Unit

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 27, 2007
            You are not at all alone, with that kind of harassment, Neda.

            I just want to echo Matt's suggestion that you report the incident (and any future incidents like that) to MPD's GLLU /Gay and Lesbian Liaison Unit via pager at 1-877-495-5995.  They will indeed, get back to you promptly.  They are as professional, sensitive and trustworthy as law enforcement ever gets.  And they are incredibly nice people, too.

            Here's an additional GLLU/Hate Crimes link for more background info...
            <http://www.gllu.org/violence/index.htm#hate>

            DC's Bias-Related Crimes Act of 1989 provides for both criminal and civil remedies to victims.

            Brian Kerr
            Brookland/ PSA 502

            --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, neda ulaby <ulabeast@...> wrote:

            > Greetings,
            >
            > We'll be at the next community meeting. Thank you.
            >
            > In the meantime, I thought you shoud know I was attacked this evening by the residents of 44 Bates St NW when I attempted to reclaim my garbage can (which had our number painted on it) from their yard.
            >
            > A woman at 44 Bates grabbed me by the hair and dragged me across the alley, while screaming racial and homophobic epitets. I did call the police, perhaps stupidly, and I am now worried about repercussions. This property is hugely problematic and I am grateful for any attention you might bring to it.
            >
            > Many thanks,
            >
            > Neda Ulaby
            > 42 Bates St NW

          • Ashburn, Matthew (MPD)
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 27, 2007
              RE: [MPD-5D] Re: nuisance properties & MPD's GLLU: Discreet & Reliable

              Brian,

              Thanks very much for the compliment regarding GLLU's service.  We strive to treat be professional, treating all persons with respect and taking their concerns seriously.

              Please also feel free to contact me if you would like further information on the GLLU's services.

              Yours,

              Matt

              --
              Matt W. Ashburn, Auxiliary #1314
              Gay and Lesbian Liaison Unit
              Executive Office of the Chief of Police
              Washington, DC Metropolitan Police Department
              1369-A Connecticut Avenue N.W., Washington, D.C. 20036
              E-mail: matthew.ashburn@...

              You are not at all alone, with that kind of harassment, Neda.

              I just want to echo Matt's suggestion that you report the incident (and
              any future incidents like that) to MPD's GLLU /Gay and Lesbian Liaison
              Unit via pager at 1-877-495-5995.  They will indeed, get back to you
              promptly.  They are as professional, sensitive and trustworthy as law
              enforcement ever gets.  And they are incredibly nice people, too.

              Here's an additional GLLU/Hate Crimes link for more background info...
              <http://www.gllu.org/violence/index.htm#hate>
              <http://www.gllu.org/violence/index.htm#hate>

              DC's Bias-Related Crimes Act of 1989 provides for both criminal and
              civil remedies to victims.

              Brian Kerr
              Brookland/ PSA 502

              --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, neda ulaby <ulabeast@...> wrote:

              > Greetings,
              >
              >   We'll be at the next community meeting. Thank you.
              >
              >   In the meantime, I thought you shoud know I was attacked this
              evening by the residents of 44 Bates St NW when I attempted to reclaim
              my garbage can (which had our number painted on it) from their yard.

              >   A woman at 44 Bates grabbed me by the hair and dragged me across the
              alley, while screaming racial and homophobic epitets. I did call the
              police, perhaps stupidly,  and I am now worried about repercussions.
              This property is hugely problematic and I am grateful for any attention
              you might bring to it.

              >   Many thanks,
              >
              >   Neda Ulaby
              >   42 Bates St NW

            • Greene, Lamar (MPD)
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 27, 2007
                RE: [MPD-5D] Re: nuisance properties & MPD's GLLU: Discreet & Reliable

                Hello' I am commander greene of the fifth district, Please call me directly at the fifth district commanders office,  we will not tolerate these acts.  I need to know how my officers responded to your needs, was report taken etc. I want to see swift clousure to this incident