DC Government, NBC4 Team Up for Community Shred, Sat., September 29, 8 am to 11 am
- COLLECT PERSONAL DOCUMENTS TO SHRED AT SEPT. 29 NBC-4 SAFE & SECURE
COMMUNITY SHRED EVENT
(Washington, DC) The countdown is underway to the September 29
Community Shred event, sponsored by DC Government, NBC-4, PNC Bank,
Shred-It, and the DC Sports and Entertainment Commission to help
District residents safely eliminate personal documents, including credit
cards, and reduce the risk of identity theft - one of the fastest
growing crimes in America.
The "Safe and Secure Community Shred Event" will allow District
residents, in vehicles only, to bring up to five boxes of personal
papers and other items to be shredded free of charge. No business or
commercial material will be accepted.
What: Safe & Secure Community Shred Event
When: Saturday, September 29, 2007, 8 am to 11 am (Cars must be in
line by 11 am.)
Where: RFK Stadium Lot #7 (next to the playground)
C Street, NE and Oklahoma Avenue, NE
Washington, DC 20003
* All types of paper (staples and papers clips are okay)
* Empty binders
* Unwanted/expired credit cards
* Computer disks (which may be shredded offsite)
Identity Theft Prevention Tips:
* Shred confidential information: bills, old credit cards, and
even junk mail.
* Order a credit report on an annual basis.
* Do not carry your social security card or have your social
security number on your driver's license or personal checks.
* Do not leave mail in your box over night or weekends.
* Only carry the credit cards you need.
* Consider signing credit cards "Ask for ID" instead of your
# # #
Public Information Officer
DC Department of Public Works
2000 14th Street, NW, 6th Floor
Washington, DC 20009
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]