5 or 6 MPD cars at 12th Place and Taylor NE this morning?

  • dan.proudfoot
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2014
      Hi,
      I noticed 5 or 6 MPD cars at 12th Place and Taylor NE this morning that had pulled over a landscaping contractor's vehicle. That seemed like a lot of cars for a traffic stop. Can you please provide details? Thanks.
    • Durand, Gary (MPD)
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2014
        Members of our Motor Carrier Unit are providing training in the inspections of commercial vehicles.   On a side note, it is common practice if one officer to has a traffic stop that other officers who are not tied up respond to assist. This sometimes results in multiple units but that is what we are trained to do.

        Gary Durand
        Lieutenant
        1805 Bladensburg Road NE
        Washington DC 20002
        202-489-4181

        Have questions about your new Supercan, trash can or larger recycling bin? Check out this helpful FAQ from the Department of Public Works.

        I noticed 5 or 6 MPD cars at 12th Place and Taylor NE this morning that had pulled over a landscaping contractor's vehicle. That seemed like a lot of cars for a traffic stop. Can you please provide details? Thanks.

      • Hughes, Corinne (MPD)
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2014

          Good morning we our conducting traffic enforcement on trucks, which we received complaints about, and doing some training at the same time.

          Lieutenant Corinne Hughes

          Metropolitan Police Department

          Fifth District

          Manager of PSA 503

          office (202) 698-0273

          cell (202) 615-6803

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 1, 2014
            Dan, All:  based upon the many community observations, encounters, concerns and complaints concerning large Commercial Vehicles and Trucks, both in violation of posted signs, idling excessively and shortcutting thru residential areas, the Fifth Police District along with the department's Motor Carrier Unit performed updated training this morning and we are now out in force educating and enforcing the rules and regulations governing these types of vehicles.  The specialized Motor Carrier Unit and 10 of our officers are working together to inspect, review registrations, fuel types, checking manifests, brakes/lights/empty and gross weights limits and enforcement of any/all violations encountered.

            We anticipate working together all week.  Then, we will be enforcing these vehicles independently.

            It may at times feel that your voice is not heard or that we do not have a immediate call to action.  That is not the case and this in-depth training and enforcement effort reinforces the fact that we serve you.  We must ensure that any/all enforcement efforts are within departmental policy, that we correctly cite the exact regulations and that we can support these actions in a court of law.

            Thanks for your patience with us as we put policy, training, education and enforcement into action....

            Mark Beach
            Assistant Patrol District Commander
            Metropolitan DC Police Department
            Fifth Police District
            1805 Bladensburg Road, NE
            Washington, DC 20002
            202-345-1313 BeachBerry
            202-698-0150 5D Station Operations
            202-327-4392 5D Watch Commander
            202-698-0111 5D Command Complex
            202-727-9099 Command Information Center
            "Commitment to Excellence"

            Have questions about your new Supercan, trash can or larger recycling bin? Check out this helpful FAQ from the Department of Public Works.

            I noticed 5 or 6 MPD cars at 12th Place and Taylor NE this morning that had pulled over a landscaping contractor's vehicle. That seemed like a lot of cars for a traffic stop. Can you please provide details? Thanks.

          • Lisa Holley

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 1, 2014
                Great work Officer Beach - thank you and all of MPD-5;  another good effort.

                Be safe and well.
                Stephanie A. Robinson

                Stephanie

                "Ask questions; question answers."  - Unknown

                To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
                CC: dierdre.porter@...; gary.durand@...; ralph.ennis@...; terry.thorne@...; Ronald.Wilkins2@...