Police Outreach News

  • Smith, Yvonne (MPD)
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 2005

      See This Link for Newsletter from Chief Ramsey to DC Residents

      Sunday, April 03, 2005

      Calling All Seniors: DC Needs You to Join the Senior Citizens' Police Academy
      New community policing program stresses crime prevention through involvement

      The Metropolitan Police Department, in partnership with the DC Office on Aging, has created a unique opportunity for senior citizens to get involved in making their communities safer: the Senior Citizens’ Police Academy.

      The 12-week program will give seniors a chance to learn about the operations of the MPD, develop problem-solving skills, become ambassadors in their communities and volunteer to help prevent crime in their communities. Classes will begin in June and will run on consecutive Tuesday mornings for approximately three hours per class. Participants must be age 50 or older, a District of Columbia resident, willing to complete the entire program and consent to a background check. There is no cost to participate in the program.

      “When it comes to preventing crime and improving neighborhoods, our senior citizens are among the most dedicated and energetic residents we have,” said Chief of Police Charles H. Ramsey. “Through the Senior Citizens’ Police Academy, we are trying to help more of our seniors develop the skills and access the resources they need to turn their dedication and energy into action in our communities.”

      The Senior Citizens’ Police Academy was developed in concert with the Partnership Academy, a crime prevention leadership training program for residents and community stakeholders in DC. Under the program, the MPD will provide up to 40 senior citizens at a time with courses that help them to understand their role in neighborhood safety, as well as the roles of the MPD and other community policing partners. Other courses will focus on building residents’ capacity to impact crime and disorder problems and on developing leadership skills for producing lasting change.

      For more information, or to request an application form, contact Marsha Hott at the MPD, (202) 727-8751, or call the Office on Aging’s Information and Assistance Unit at (202) 724-5626.

      Watch Your Car

      Helping District residents keep their vehicles safe from theft during early morning hours.

      What Is Watch Your Car?

      Watch Your Car is a national vehicle theft prevention program funded by the United States Department of Justice, Office of Justice Programs and the Bureau of Justice Assistance. It is a voluntary vehicle registration program designed to deter auto theft and assist in the apprehension of auto thieves. Participating vehicle owners sign an agreement stating their vehicle is not normally used between the hours of 1 am and 5 am.

      Vehicle owners receive decals that they apply to their windshields. If a police officer observes the vehicle being driven anywhere in the United States during these hours, they may stop the vehicle and verify the vehicle owner —or a person designated by the owner— is operating it, and that the vehicle is not stolen.

      Who Administers Watch Your Car?

      The Watch Your Car Program is administered by the DC Metropolitan Police Department and is provided as a public service, free-of-charge, to owners of vehicles registered in the District. If you're interested in protecting your car -- police officers across the nation are ready to..... WATCH YOUR CAR!

      Who Can Apply To Participate in the Program?

      Any person who has a vehicle registered in the District of Columbia may participate. In addition, temporary civilian and military personnel who are in the District may apply.

      What Will I Need to Apply?

      You will need to supply the following information on the paper and/or online application form:

      • Full name of registered owner (if co-owned, supply the name of co-owner)
      • Names of up to two additional authorized drivers
      • District street address including (apartment number if needed) and zip code. No PO Boxes accepted.
      • Vehicle model, make, style,
      • Vehicle Identification Number (VIN Number)
      • Vehicle tag number
      • Daytime telephone number
      • Home telephone number (if different)

      Agreement Details

      The above vehicle is not normally operated between the hours of 1 am and 5 am.

      If the Police should observe a person operating the vehicle during the hours of 1 am and 5 am, they will reasonably suspect that the person operating the vehicle is doing so without my permission. Under these conditions, I grant consent to the Police to make an Investigation Stop of the vehicle and to determine if an authorized driver is operating the vehicle.

      I also realize that persons operating my vehicle during the stated hours with my permission are subject to being stopped by the Police for investigation. It is my responsibility to advise these individuals prior to giving them my vehicle that police may stop the vehicle. In these instances, police action may include the necessary precautions taken to protect officers when approaching a potentially stolen vehicle with occupants.

      I understand that I must remove both decals if I withdraw from the program. I will also notify the DC AUTO THEFT UNIT, in writing, of such withdrawal or of any changes in my address or telephone number while still in the program.

      I further consent and agree to indemnify and hold harmless any local, county, state or federal duly sworn law enforcement officer or agency against any and all claims arising from my participation in this program.

      Register Your Car with the Program

      To request an application packet, contact 1-877-322-7867 (toll free) with your full name, telephone number with area code, and mailing address. An application will then be mailed to you.

      Upon receipt of your registration form, a welcome letter, Watch Your Car windshield decals, and instructions for their placement on your vehicle will be mailed to you. Appropriate auxiliary aides and services for qualified individuals with disabilities will be provided upon request.

      Click here to register online.

      Contact Information

      Metropolitan Police Department
      Auto Theft Unit