Re: [MPD-5D] Digest Number 66

  • wrhuston47@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4, 2005
      this issue is not about civil liberties but public safety and to a lesser degree quality of life in our neighborhoods. given the proliferation of these bikes, the reckless way they are operated, and the lack of parental/adult monitoring and judgment, it's time for gov't intervention. mini bikes should be classified as a type of motor vehicle with an appropriate regulatory scheme that restricts the "who, how, where, and what" of usage within the city. for example, dc should set age limits for operators, require helmets (driver & passenger), prohibit use on sidewalks and certain roadways (295, suitland pkwy, se/sw fwy), limit noise emissions, etc.

      regulating usage of these vehicles should be part of the mayor's and city council's effort to make dc a safer and more inviting place to live and visit. we should lobby for passage of emergency legislation (>180 days) to address the immediate public safety issue. during the "emergency" period we can figure out how to fund this initiative, coordinate regulatory and enforcement responsibilities (mpd, dmv, dcra, disb), and if possible, coordinate enforcement with neighboring urban jurisdictions.

      winnie

      In a message dated 4/4/2005 8:40:05 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, scott_pointer@... writes:
      Tim - I share your concerns.  I copied an article from the newspaper to this group a couple of weeks ago - many communities are dealing with this same problem and choosing to make mini bikes illegal.  There have been over 1,000 fatalities reported across the country - and other children have suffered devastating injuries after being struck by vehicles.

      I think the "liberal mindedness" of the DC Government is the reason for this apathy.  It seems to me that they always choose civil liberties over quality of life..............................

      MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      Take a look at donorschoose.org, an excellent charitable web site for
      anyone who cares about public education!
      http://us.click.yahoo.com/O.5XsA/8WnJAA/E2hLAA/aRSolB/TM

      There is 1 message in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: mini bikes
      From: "isearched"

      Message: 1
      Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 22:18:09 -0000
      From: "isearched"
      Subject: Re: mini bikes

      Hi all,

      Mini bikers are using the field of John Burroughs School (JBS) on
      Monroe Street NE. I saw saw one teenager on his bike riding on the
      grassy field of JBS, then proceeding up the incline of the parking
      embankment at the school. It looked like he was trying to imitate Evil
      Knievel!

      Also, I'm seeing kids on motorized scooters using busy streets to ride
      in. Are either of these activities legal? And, what can be done to
      prevent them from happening? I did contact JBS, but the receptionist
      didn't seem too responsive.

      -- Tim Greene

      --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Amanda Pike" wrote:
      > As the weather gets nicer, I've already noticed more mini bikes out
      on the
      > streets. Are we supposed to call 311 when we see them? Last year I
      almost
      > ran one over when they blew through a stop sign. They are illegal
      right?

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/