Re: [MPD-5D] Digest Number 66

  • Scott Pointer
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4 5:38 AM
      Tim - I share your concerns.  I copied an article from the newspaper to this group a couple of weeks ago - many communities are dealing with this same problem and choosing to make mini bikes illegal.  There have been over 1,000 fatalities reported across the country - and other children have suffered devastating injuries after being struck by vehicles.

      I think the "liberal mindedness" of the DC Government is the reason for this apathy.  It seems to me that they always choose civil liberties over quality of life..............................

      MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      Take a look at donorschoose.org, an excellent charitable web site for
      anyone who cares about public education!
      http://us.click.yahoo.com/O.5XsA/8WnJAA/E2hLAA/aRSolB/TM

      There is 1 message in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: mini bikes
      From: "isearched"

      Message: 1
      Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 22:18:09 -0000
      From: "isearched"
      Subject: Re: mini bikes

      Hi all,

      Mini bikers are using the field of John Burroughs School (JBS) on
      Monroe Street NE. I saw saw one teenager on his bike riding on the
      grassy field of JBS, then proceeding up the incline of the parking
      embankment at the school. It looked like he was trying to imitate Evil
      Knievel!

      Also, I'm seeing kids on motorized scooters using busy streets to ride
      in. Are either of these activities legal? And, what can be done to
      prevent them from happening? I did contact JBS, but the receptionist
      didn't seem too responsive.

      -- Tim Greene

      --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Amanda Pike" wrote:
      > As the weather gets nicer, I've already noticed more mini bikes out
      on the
      > streets. Are we supposed to call 311 when we see them? Last year I
      almost
      > ran one over when they blew through a stop sign. They are illegal
      right?

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Burke, Patrick (MPD)
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 4 8:12 AM
        Our current laws require vehicles that are over 50 cc's or capable of traveling at a speed of greater than 25 mph to be registered as motor vehicles. Many of the issues we have involve the disparity between the laws in DC, MD and VA. I'll see if I can get a better breakdown from our Training unit on what the officers should be enforcing and see if we can get pocket guides for our officers pertaining to enforcement of these vehicles. We have seen a proliferation in the number of these vehicles, and I expect to see even more as the weather gets warmer.

        Captain Patrick A. Burke
        Fifth District, MPDC
        Buckle Up, Drive Safe and Make a Difference!

        Office: 202 727-4488
        Pager: 888 523-7099

        From: "isearched"

        Message: 1