Farewell

    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 7
      To all of you in 5D:

      On Monday, Chief Lanier reassigned me to the Policy and Development Bureau. I look forward to the challenge of reviewing, revising, editing, and perhaps even writing some of the policies which guide our Department.

      However, I will certainly miss being on the streets of the Fifth District. I will miss meeting and talking with all of the terrific people who live and work in 5D and interact in some way with the police department. You all have been great to work with.

      I will also miss, more than I can say, working with the outstanding group of cops who patrol your neighborhoods. 5D led the city in 2013 in crime reduction, and it was in a huge way due to the dedication and hard work that your officers and supervisors did to make the Fifth District safer for everyone.

      Our success at crime fighting and neighborhood building was also in no small part due to the relationships that our officers have made with the people in 5D. One of my greatest pleasures was to hear from you, in person or by phone or email or hand-written letter, and learn that you knew and had a positive relationship with specific officers--who you knew by name--in your community. As the commander of the Fifth District, please know that it gave me goose bumps every time I heard such a report. With each such mention, I felt incredibly proud of those men and women who work at 5D and have made such a significant impact in the areas where they work. I feel honored to work alongside them.

      I also want to thank every one who in any way contributed to our work. Sometimes you called with praise for our work, sometimes with problems for which you sought solutions, sometimes to alert us to situations and issues you thought we may not be aware of.

      And, on more than a few occasions, you let us know that you felt our work was below the standards you knew we are capable of. Though many of those reports were difficult to work through and address, I want you to continue to do this.

      I have always believed that our Department gets better when we are challenged to do better. Continue to hold us to the highest standards and continue to demand that we perform well. Continue to tell us when we do not meet those standards. Continue to hold us accountable for all that we do.

      And, whenever possible, please take the time to tell a cop that you appreciate his or her work. Your words mean more to us than you can know.

      Andy Solberg

      Sent from my iPad

      Look out for the homeless this winter. When the actual or forecasted temperature or wind chill is 32 degrees F or below, the District issues a Hypothermia Alert. To request support for persons who are homeless and on the street now, contact the Shelter Hotline at 1-800-535-7252 or 311 or email uposh@... <mailto:uposh@...>.
    • Robert Vinson Brannum
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 7

        Commander Solberg (Andy),

        I take this opportunity to wish you well in your new assignment.  I also join so many other District residents served by 5D to thank you for your service, dedication, leadership, and professionalism. May God Bless You.

        Robert

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 7
          Dear Commander Solberg,

          Thank you for your service to Eckington in recent years.  Your level of dedication and professionalism is very much appreciated. We appreciate your establishing relationships with members of this community, and always responding to concerns.

          Best wishes for continued success.

          Thank you very much,
          Brooke Edgecombe

          Sent from my iPhone

[...]

        • Faye Malarkey Black
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 7
            Thank you for your service. Best of luck with what comes next. Although I'm glad you'll be helping to write policy, I will miss your posts on this listserv and your community presence.

            Faye Malarkey Black
            Michigan Park

            Sent from my iPhone

[...]

          • Teri Janine
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 7
              Commander Solberg,

              I echo Mr. Brannum's sentiments. Working with you has been a pleasure. Thank you for your service  and best of luck going forward.

              Best,

              Teri Janine Quinn
              President, Bloomingdale Civic Association

              Sent from my iPhone

                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 7

                  Sent from my Cricket smart phone

                  "Solberg, Andrew (MPD)" wrote:

                  >Thanks Teri Janine. You are a great ally and partner and I appreciate all you have done to make Bloomingdale a great DC neighborhood.
                  >
                  >Andy Solberg
                  >

                  >Sent from my iPhone
                  >
                  >On Feb 7, 2014, at 9:15 PM, "Teri Janine" > wrote:
                  >

                  >Commander Solberg,
                  >
                  >I echo Mr. Brannum's sentiments. Working with you has been a pleasure. Thank you for your service and best of luck going forward.
                  >
                  >Best,
                  >
                  >Teri Janine Quinn
                  >President, Bloomingdale Civic Association
                  >
                  >Sent from my iPhone

                • Charles Bashara
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 7
                    Thank you for leading the effort to protect Edgewood, Commander.  We're deeply grateful to you and your colleagues for your vigilance and responsiveness in keeping our neighborhood safe during your tenure.  We wish you the very best in your new assignment and throughout your career.

                    Chuck Bashara
                    Adams Street, NE

                    On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 9:35 PM, Solberg, Andrew (MPD) <Andrew.Solberg@...> wrote:

                    Thanks Teri Janine. You are a great ally and partner and I appreciate all you have done to make Bloomingdale a great DC neighborhood.

                    Andy Solberg

                    Sent from my iPhone

                    On Feb 7, 2014, at 9:15 PM, "Teri Janine" <tjqdst1913@...> wrote:

                    Commander Solberg,

                    I echo Mr. Brannum's sentiments. Working with you has been a pleasure. Thank you for your service  and best of luck going forward.

                    Best,

                    Teri Janine Quinn
                    President, Bloomingdale Civic Association

                    Sent from my iPhone

                  • Linda Lee
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 7
                      Commander Solberg,
                      Thank you for all you have done for us.
                      I hope that we can all work together with our 5D Officers and Command to carry on what you have started.
                      Yes, we will miss you, but we must all move forward to make 5D, and our city, the best place for all of us to live, to share with visitors, and for our future -- the kids. We must never forget our kids.

                      I wish you the best in your new endeavors.

                      Thanks again.

                      LD Lee

                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 10
                        Dear Andy,

                        It has been a pleasure and a privilege working with you. Your professionalism, dedication, and passion were apparent from the start. What I will miss most, however, is your matter of fact sense of humility. There was never anything that knocked you off course. Your path was always true, and your integrity unwavering. From all of us in Edgewood, we would like to thank you for all you have done to make Edgewood a safer and better place to live and work. We will miss you.

                        MIchael Henderson
                        Former Community Liaison
                        MPD PSA 501/502
                        Former Recording Secretary