Re: [MPD-5D] The Fire Department is responsible for fireworks in the District of Columbia

  • Matt Ashburn
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 30, 2007
      Commander Groomes (of 1D) responded to a similar question on the 1D
      listserv in July. She stated that the entire first district "did not
      have a report of injury due to fireworks during the night" of the
      fourth of July. In addition, she stated that "many citizens are still
      under the impression that what [illegal fireworks] they possessed are
      legal."

      Instead of creating more legislation, the city should work on
      increased enforcement and public outreach to ensure that citizens are
      aware of current law (as, apparently, some violators are ignorant of
      the current law). Even those who are most adament about banning *all*
      fireworks (including sparklers), may not understand that the very loud
      and/or "dangerous" fireworks are already illegal. Currently, those
      who use illegal fireworks-- according to DCFD's website-- can face a
      fine of up to $1000 and/or arrest.

      Below is a list of fireworks that are illegalunder *existing* law.
      After reading it, I honestly don't feel that creating more legislation
      is the best and more efficient solution. The "problem" isn't all
      fireworks; the problem is that some persons are using illegal
      fireworks and eith are ignorant of the law or the law isn't enforced.

      Matt

      List of CURRENTLY ILLEGAL fireworks from
      http://fems.dc.gov/fems/cwp/view,a,3,q,636583.asp :

      Illegal Fireworks Characteristics

      -Any fireworks that move.
      -Any fireworks that explode.
      -Any fireworks that emit a spark or flame greater than 12 inches.
      -Any fireworks that have a side mounted fuse or a fuse inserted at any
      point along the length of the
      product's surface.
      -Any fireworks that contain mercury, arsenic, magnesium, phosphorus,
      or any other highly oxidizing agent.
      -Any fireworks that the Fire Marshal considers to be dangerous to the
      safety of any person or property.

      Examples of Illegal Fireworks

      -Firecrackers
      -Cherry Bombs
      -Roman Candles
      -Salutes
      -Floral Shells
      -Artillery Shells
      -Helicopters
      -Sparklers greater than 20 inches long
      -Bottle Rockets
      -Parachutes
      -Buzz Bombs
      -Pinwheels
      -Jumping Jacks
      -Anything that is similar to these products.