Marijuana at my gate

  • jminnicks1 .
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 4
      Good evening,

      Tonight, I came home again at 6pm to kids smoking marijuana literally at our front gate.  I had to cross through a group of at least five kids to get to our front door.  Our elderly neighbor, who saw it happening, actually stood outside and watched the kids, but they refused to leave.  We live at the corner of a fairly busy intersection, but that does not seem to dissuade  this group of congregating at our home.

      Is there anything that can be done about these occurrences?  We, along with our neighbors, have called 911 when we see it happening.  But this is the second time that this has happened in as many weeks, and I'm afraid it is just going to get worse.

      Thank you in advance for your attention to these concerns.  I'm hopeful that we can find a constructive way to address this problem!

      --
      Jamila
      10th and Lawrence NE

      "Be yourself.  Everyone else is already taken." -- Oscar Wilde
    • dierdreporter
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 4

        Good Evening Ms. Jamila,

        Can you please email me at dierdre.porter@... so that I can speak with you directly.

        Thanks,

        Commander Porter

      • Alder, Robert (MPD)
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 4
          Thank you for bringing this to our attention.  We have a unit on the corner but apparently the kids have already left.  If you have a chance could you please contact me so I can discuss this problem with you.  Thank you

          Robert Alder
          Captain
          Fifth District
          202-487-9085

          Look out for the homeless this winter. When the actual or forecasted temperature or wind chill is 32˚F or below, the District issues a Hypothermia Alert. To request support for DC residents who are homeless and on the street now, contact the Shelter Hotline at 1-800-535-7252 or 311 or email uposh@....

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 4

            Hi Commander Porter,

            Welcome to Brookland!  Thank you for being so responsive to my email.  The officers in 5D are fantastic, and I definitely feel that my concerns have been taken to heart.

            Please feel free to call me or email me.   I look forward to working with you to keep Brookland a great neighborhood!

            Jamila Minnicks

            On Feb 4, 2014 7:46 PM, <dierdreporter@...> wrote:

            Good Evening Ms. Jamila,

            Can you please email me at dierdre.porter@... so that I can speak with you directly.

            Thanks,

            Commander Porter

          • Brian Bradford
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 4
              I had the same problem when I lived in Ward 4. My neighbors and I called the police every night. The group grew from 4 to 30. Their hours increased. They held court in front of the house next door to me every night from about 6pm to 4am. Once a month the police would make them disburse. 5D seems to be a lot better about working with the community, but we got absolutely no help from 4D.