Extreme Weather

  • Lanier, Cathy (MPD)
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 21, 2014
      Good morning, a severe cold front is headed to Washington DC today. The cold front will arrive this morning just before sunrise, between 7:00 AM and 10:00 AM expect to see precipitation begin in the form of snow, once it begins it will continue throughout the afternoon. Accumulation will be slow at first and will increase into afternoon. National Weather Service predicts accumulations between 4 to 8 inches by midnight on Tuesday. Temperatures will not rise above freezing until Saturday.

      > You should avoid unnecessary travel when streets become snow covered. Pay particular attention to pedestrians who may be walking in the roadway due to snow covered sidewalks. Obey snow emergency signage and avoid parking on those routes, this helps DPW to plow streets in a more effective and efficient manner.
      >
      > The Metropolitan Police Department encourages all citizens to take this time to look out for those who are less fortunate and may be exposed to these severe weather conditions. Hyperthermia is deadly, please report situations where members of our community may be at risk by calling the Hypothermia Hotline on 1-800-535-7252. A simple phone call that a person may be at risk, may save a life.
      >
      > Examples of at risk behavior :
      >
      > Subjects sleeping outside during these extreme temperatures.
      > Exposure to long periods of outdoor activity during these extreme temperatures.
      > Staying in a residence that has no heat or electricity.
      >
      > These are just a few at risk behaviors that can led to serious injury during these extreme weather conditions. Remember you can report your observations to MPD in a number of ways, dialing 311, dialing 911, or by calling the Hyperthermia Hotline 1-800-535-7252. Thank you for helping us to keep the community safe during this severe weather event.

      Look out for those in need this winter. When the temperature or wind chill is 32?F or below, the District issues a Hypothermia Alert. For assistance during an Alert: call the Shelter Hotline at 1-800-535-7252 or 311. Or, send an email to the Shelter Hotline (uposh@...).